Notices

Extreme pain when quitting

Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme pain when quitting

I have had a prolapsed disc for about 8 years I am also trying to quit opiates, the pain in my calf is incredible when I don't take anything, it's worse when I'm resting/sitting I use creams and supports. My doctor just prescribes more pain killers not knowing I'm trying to quit. I've been told my spine needs an operation but they won't give me one saying I'm too young even though I'm 38. So all they can do is manage the pain and it probably won't get much better! This and the restless legs are the biggest trigger to relapsing, what do I do?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Iwalktheline

I think those of us with chronic pain only have a few choices about how we approach our pain - either you need to get honest with your Dr, or find another one and get honest with them.

There's a range of treatments for any given medical situation and there's sure to be a non addictive, or sometimes even a non medicine based solution.

My own chronic back pain for example is alleviated greatly by a few simple exercises. I'm not suggesting that's the solution for you, as I'm not a Dr, but I was determined (and patient enough) to find a solution that wouldn't impact my desire to be sober.

those of us with addictive histories shouldn't have to live in pain - but we need to be ultra responsible about our pain management.

wishing you the best, man

D
Old 10-05-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I suggest not drinking, and contact your doctor for further support with COMPLETE and TOTAL honesty or grin and bare it as I have, though I'm not suggesting that you grin and bare it.

I been in 2 really bad car accidents years ago, and fell before and cracked my tail bone (or reeeally badly bruised it) years ago, I also fell down stairs as a young child and my neck still does hurt at times, and one of my feet still hurt a lot of times from me messing it up awhile back. But I am not going to drink over those pains any longer but I have in the past at times.
I also had reeeally horrible burning pain in my legs and thighs and it felt like somebody punched the living hell out of them before during a DETOX. In my case, it even hurt to try to sit, squat down and walk. I'm watching myself with the Tylenol as well currently because currently I feel like I could take about 8 of them for my current back pain. The truth is even Tylenol on a regular bases does damage, esp. that many at a time. And yes, if you are wondering I have many times in the past and other things instead.
Today I'm trying to do things differently.

Good luck at your doctor appointment if you choose to go, Hugs!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please remember that opiates dull or take away pain temporarily but also alter and lower the pain tolerance over time. In other words, they create a viscous cycle of lowered pain tolerance with need for more opiates to address pain with also lowered effectiveness of the opiates leading to higher needs for higher dosage of opiates. Im not telling you anything you dont already know, you're living the cycle from what it sounds.

Abstinence can and many times will stop the cycle and allow your natural pain tolerance to return to normal. As was mentioned above by others this is going to require a TOTAL commitment to abstinence and honesty on your part.

Once you are abstinent you will have a better idea of exactly the extent of the pain and look at other non narcotic or even non medication based approaches will work to help you cope.

I wish you the best and much blessings as you navigate this process.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know we cant give medical advice on here, but I suffer from restless leg symptoms as well, not so bad after 5 months sober. My doctor suggested Magnesium. I take it with dinner and it works for me. I would suggest asking your doctor tho since everyone is different.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm speaking in terms of the opiate withdrawal . I'm not a Dr but I am 30 months clean off of opiates. I didn't quit alcohol until this year (day 23 today), so I cannot relate to quitting both at the same time.

However the first symptom of opiate WD is pain. If you have a painful condition it can hurt more during WDs, and for some people opiates actually caused increased pain during treatment causing people to take more opiates and spiral into a feedback loop.

It took two months for the extra pain to subside and I now manage my pain much better without opiates then I ever did while I was on them. I ended up on a rather high dose after 8 years of pain treatment.
http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/...%3D&journal=60

If the Dr is offering you more it can be hard to turn down the pills, if your dr will prescribe those see if there is something else you can take that's not opiate based. If your dr won't think of anything else try a new Dr and explain the situation.