Notices

Trying to stay sober. Today's challenge

Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to stay sober. Today's challenge

Hi, my name is Jay and I am an alcoholic but I have recently been three months sober until I relapsed three weeks ago I have been sober since but I am facing one of the hardest challenges I have come to experience so far. I was just now cleaning my room and came upon a full pint of whiskey that I don't remember hiding but obviously I must have. Sitting there in the closet like it was waiting to be discovered. I feel like it's a test and I haven't taken the test yet because I'm to scared to fail. I can't bring myself to throw it away for some reason, so now it sits there in its hiding place taunting me and I don't know what to do. I know I should simply pour it down the drain to relieve my stress and take the power away from somthing that has a hold on me but it currently seems impossible. I have a favorite quote that has always resonated with me "Being sober is easy... until it's not", I know i am not alone and temptation is all around us all but today it seems particularly personal and vicious. Even now in this moment the only reason I am writing this to distract me from this seemingly impossible task.

Any advice ?

Jay
Old 10-04-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you know you need to get rid of it one way or another. if you can't pour it down the drain give it to a neighbor and if you can't do that, get out of the house, for a walk. while your walking use your internal self dialog to get yourself ready to go home and pour it.

the only other option i can think of is - if you live with someone - get them to do it.

other then that i've got nothing. sorry if i wasn't much help....stay strong. you've come so far.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living the life

I was also going to suggest a walk to clear your head. You can do this.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Jay,

Unexpectedly coming across an old bottle of booze in a moving box happened to me last year. I wrapped it up in a big wad of newspaper, put the wad in a plastic bag, triple knotted the bag, drove to the gas station, threw the bag in the garbage, bought a pack of gum and forgave myself for not recycling.

Nice going on 3 weeks.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Jay, you should absolutely throw it away. I had a similar situation with some xanax (I was addicted to that along with alcohol), where I found two of my old pills after I thought I had tossed them. I didn't take them right away, but I saved them for months "just in case" and eventually did take them. Not only did I take them, but I obsessed about them until I did. I should've thrown them away the second I found them.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jay, throw it away. I am still finding drink in the most unlikely of places in my house, god knows why I used to stash it in some of the places I have found it. I only wish I had done the same with money and hidden that in strange places it would be far more fun finding that than cans of beer everywhere. Good luck Sir.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone taking a walk to clear my head was really good advice. I left my house to meet a friend for coffee and I told her my situation on the phone. She will not let me go in the house alone she said...also she threatened to watch me throw it away or she will. Backup is always good

Thanks again eveyone. I'm new to this forum so it's really good to get things out there and here some support
Old 10-04-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did the same thing last Saturday. I didn't throw out s bottle of wine my husband left in the bridge.

To myself I told I am respectful of his wine. The bitter true is I was stalling because deep down I knew what I was going to do with it.

Throw it out you know it will no stay in the closet where you find it. You will drink it and there will be consequences. Wishing you best of luck!
Old 10-04-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, this is one situation where "waste not, want not" doesn't apply.

It could be a rare vintage--better to dump it.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jay!!