Notices

Another day 1

Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another day 1

Hello. New here and curious if anyone has any suggestions...

I am a binge drinker and I usually go about 2 weeks between binges. I have been trying to quit and live a sober life, but having such a hard time. I think I find it even more difficult b/c I don't have cravings all the time, so at the first one I'm off to the store.

I always start off great using my sober tools and then within a couple of days forget about them. any suggestions on how to keep the sober momentum going? and the will to be sober always in my thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi I don't have any answers for u as I'm in the same boat myself. But how u talk I exactly how I feel.... Everythings good for 1 or 2 weeks and then next thing I'm back in the vicious cycle. I just want you to know ur not alone. Best of luck to u... And me....and all of us😊
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to sober recovery. I hope you read around and find out what it takes to commit to and sustain a program of recovery.

Originally Posted by Kimberly4 View Post
any suggestions on how to keep the sober momentum going? and the will to be sober always in my thoughts?
Sobriety isn't a decision you make one day, then fold up on the second the thought of drinking enters your mind. Sobriety is the goal and every day you have to do the work to reach that goal. EVERY DAY.

Some people can formulate a recovery plan that they can work on their own. Others need support, a formal, structured program with face-to-face support.

If you have tried quitting on your own and failed, time to think about the other option.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovery can be seen as a discipline that must be worked everyday. Have you considered AA meetings or some other form of group support?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Kimberly, I would suggest that when the cravings strike you go to the movies or do some other displacement activity to take your mind off of them, they don't last for ages

Good luck whatever you do
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kimberly!!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Kimberly
Old 10-03-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Recovery can be seen as a discipline that must be worked everyday. Have you considered AA meetings or some other form of group support?

Old 10-03-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Kimberly!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dim

Hi kim i'm in the same boat as well and only 2 weeks sober this time but i've been up to 3 months before busting and having a 5 day binge. For me personally boredom is a big trigger. If I know i have nothing on the next day I kid myself into thinking I can have a few drinks that night... last time I did this it turned into a 5 day bender and landed me in ER. I can sit through Bbq's, parties at bars etc and not even consider a drink which makes my addiction deceiving as hell. Being mindful every single second is the only way I can abstain. Good luck with it... its tough but worth every sober second x
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're not the only one

We are very similar, except for me it is 10 days, not two weeks.. Like an above poster, I only have less than a week, so no advice, except to say that now I am EXPECTING the urges, and won't be " surprised", although it was insanity to think they wouldn't come! SR will be a wonderful resource when they come in 4 days...Stick with it, you can do it! Should've said. WE can do it!