Notices

Wine glasses in house?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

People drinking normally doesn't bother me, but that's me. I have wine glasses that I actually bought after I stopped drinking. I bought them for sparkling water, because I like them. I always drank wine out of mason jars or these handmade painted pottery cups I have. For me, the nice glasses are part of having nice things because I take care of myself. They are sparkling water glasses to me. I think I'd feel weird if someone drank wine out of them actually, but my boundary would likely be: don't get trashed or you don't come back; and I'm not washing them.

Point being like others I say draw your boundary. It's your sobriety unique to you and you get to define it in your home.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I still have all of my stemware and barware (pint glasses, highball glasses, etc). I'm not sure why - I almost never have people over, and I don't use them myself. They are up on high shelves in a cupboard I open every day, but I just don't really "see them" anymore. I think I should give away most of them (some are quite nice and were expensive, so it would hurt to just throw them away). If only to free up space.

My home is currently an alcohol-free zone. The rare people who come over know this, and it's never been an issue. I can go to other peoples' houses and observe others drinking without it bothering me, but in my own home, It's different. That could change in the future, so it might be good to have a few wine glasses tucked away. But everyone has the right to set boundaries that work for them.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i guess I feel that a glass is just a glass. I can't really think of a use for an ash tray besides smoking. But there's No rule whatsoever (outside of downton Abbey) that says you have to use wineglasses for wine. I drink ginger ale out of wine glasses, pint glasses, martini glasses. Who cares? There's norule that says now that you don't drink you must from this day forward drink water from the most boring glass you can find. I think a lot of us miss the ceremony and specialness that surrounds drinking booze. Sometimes I like to drink from a beautiful glass, it's special. Now it's fizzy water, and I'm in no danger of getting drunk and breaking my beautiful glass.

I guess I'm saying.... It's not the glasses fault we don't drink alcohol. I couldn't decide what to do at first. So I put the fancy glasses at the back of the cabinet. Then one day I wanted a special drink, but booze was off limits. So I busted out the pretty wine glass and had my fizzy in it.

They aren't wine glasses to me at all now. They are my fun glasses I use when I want something special. They're glasses, they have no power over you.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That's a great way of looking at it, WeHav. Maybe I should try having my fizzy water in one of my fancy glasses sometime. They really are quite nice.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I do not know if I can agree with everyone above. Making rules for other people is just not my style. Also, as a drunk I inconvenienced people enough. I do not have to keep doing it. If my mind and sincerity to not drink can not withstand wine glasses, other people drinking etc, then I do not think my recovery will last.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

It wasn't a fear based decision for me to make my home alcohol and drug free it was a reflection of my desire to live my life sober.

If I can't live how I want in my own home where can I?

As far as being rude to other people - everyone knows the expectation I have - people still come over

The rules of my complex already ban smoking....I wouldn't let people smoke crack or shoot up in my unit either.

Is there really that much of a difference?
Old 10-04-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's perfectly okay to make your home alcohol-free. We keep an alcohol-free house. Friends and family know this and are fine with it. We usually send wine back home with anyone who brings it. I agree with Lexie that you should probably let your inlaws know that you are going in this direction. They can decide for themselves if they want to visit or not. It's not about them. It's about you and your recovery. Peace.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I got rid of my stemless wine glasses and bought new ones. And here's why: I tossed out the old ones because of the association and the bad memories. Then, one day, I realized I really liked the size and shape of those glasses. So I went online and ordered a much better quality version of them. It is the perfect size for a can of La Croix on ice. They are now my fizzy drink + juice glasses.

My home is alcohol-free. I have not brought alcohol into the home nor allowed anyone else to do so since I got sober in 2013.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My shot glasses have been re-tasked. What's the term? Mis-en-place. I use them for recipe ingredients. The unique ones have unique tasks. My college shot glass now holds ear swabs in the medicine cabinet. Others organize my life similarly.

The exception is my wine glasses. I'm not giving them up as the stem matches my stoneware. What I put in them in unimportant. Heck, I've served dessert in them.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

One day I realized I had lots and lots of wine glasses. I donated most of them, but kept four every day type. I've also kept my holiday ones.....they're so pretty and I enjoy drinking my non alcoholic drinks in them at the holidays

I don't keep an alcohol free home, but it's an exception when it's here. My daughter lives with us and she drinks on occasion. My mother recently stayed with us and I could barely remember how to open the wine bottle....which I used to be able to do with one hand tied behind my back!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I would like to echo what several others have said: if it helps you in your recovery to not have wine glasses in the house, get rid of them.