Notices

First Sober Friday Night & Weekend

Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

First Sober Friday Night & Weekend

I remember mine and what really helped among other things like group therapy was AA meetings it helped to be around people who understood what I and other newcomers were going through

If your not going to meetings I really suggest spending the evening with us there is so many threads some for men some for women most for all and there is so much here to help take your mind of it

If you think you can't stay sober or for the weekend that's ok take it by the hour by the second if you have too we understand as we once had to go through this ourselves

If you would of told me SW soon enough youl love sober friday's I would of laughed but here I am sober cool as a cucumber with a sober friday night ahead I have friends I can call I can go to a meeting I have an awesome book to read I am cooking a marinated tofu stir fry for dinner and life is a trillion times better than when I was drinking or sniffing cocaine

So hang in there hold onto to your acceptance with both hands & know you can get through this I'm not saying it's easy but it's very doable

If your a guest reading this sign up today you don't have to do this alone
Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic thread, SW!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Anna x
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf I'm usually well away by this point on a Friday, but found the chatroom earlier today and it's fun. Some great advice in your post too.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post! well said.
xx
Old 09-30-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So true! Thanks SW!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just did a little calculation and I've been sober for 200 weeks. So that means that I've done approximately 200 weekends. In the earlier days I was totally glued to SR as I was totally glued to being at home at night on the weekends to avoid bad-decision making. Eventually I incorporated and have developed the ritual of going out to dinner on Friday evenings with my partner. Generally on Saturday this time of year, I'm home during the evening watching hockey....and I can do that sober now! Sunday after doing chores or relaxing, I"m in for football and a yummy dinner.

I STILL after all of this time think how blessed I am to wake up clean and sober on Saturday and Sunday mornings as I sip my cup of coffee. Yup. Weekends are good now
Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 200 weeks SoberClover that's excellent news

I also forgot to mention everyone you can take the dog for a walk (if you have) like I just did he's already sleeping & I'm enjoying a cup of PG's finest (Tea)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post!! :-)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ahh PG's lol Soberwolf, long time since I heard of that tea, I remember the adds with the Monkeys
Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love my tea
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My first Weekend I played a serious amount of online scrabble, I'd say to anyone you don't need to be taking on the world those first few weeks, if it feels like a sofa day then have a Sober sofa day and realise that it won't always be like that, there's plenty of time for life after the foundations have been laid.

I'm with you on the tea Wolf, as you know, I got rid of all my drinking paraphernalia, and replaced it with tea leaf strainers, tea leaf eggs, teapots and my favourite invention, the tea cosy!!

I think my cute Irish sheep cosy deserves another outing, this image is from a convention brochure, but I picked my cosy up at a local airport shop!!

Old 09-30-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Love the tea-cosy!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Me too the tea cosy rocks brother
Old 09-30-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well said SW,

Are you a vegetarian fella?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

this will be my first sober friday night in i don't know how long. it's 4:00 here and i'm really feeling the pull!! in 30mins i would normally leave work, stop at the store for a bottle of wine on the way to pick the kids up from daycare.

that is not going to happen tonight.

tonight i'm going to pick up the kids, i'll take them to mcdonalds for food & play. then i think i'm going to take them to the mall, hit up Davids Tea for something new. then maybe walmart for a new movie. then home, pj's new tea and movie with the kids. at least the bf won't be around to derail my plans and try and get me to drink with him.

f*** i can do this!! i WILL do this!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You got this MyLoves . . . keep pushing through for your first Sober weekend!!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not a vegetarian yet but it's weighing heavily on my mind Bruno and il probably be vegetarian by 2017 or sooner hopefully

Your doing great Myloves remember you can jump in the class of September/October in newcomers & the weekender thread is a good active thread too
Old 09-30-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love this thread Wolfie - and all the great responses. Wish I'd thought of it.

I remember my first sober weekend so well. I was quite resentful and anxious. (Bad case of fomo = 'fear of missing out'. ) Happy to be free - but a bit disoriented. Staying distracted was key. We are doing this!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My first few sober weekends were definitely...odd. They were GREAT, but sometimes I was just kinda like "Ok...what do I do now...?"

I has gotten easier over the weeks to not think about it, and just enjoy it. It takes time, but it can definitely be done if you REALLY put your mind to it.