Notices

So this is kind of weird.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So this is kind of weird.

Haven't posted in awhile, thought I'd chime in. First, it seems this is a tough time of year for many people. If I remember correctly, I recall seeing many people struggling this time last year. I guess all I can add to the conversation is that now is a great time to get some substantial sober time under your belt, so when the Holidays roll around you can be strong. Trying to quit between Thanksgiving and New Years is pretty difficult, but obviously can (and has) been done. I don't count days, but I think I'm coming up on about a year.

What is weird is that this week I have succumb to stress from somewhere. I can't put my finger on it, but my stomach is in knots, I've only eaten one meal per day, its all I can do to workout, and I even skipped yesterday. I've lost weight, I know it. I hope it passes soon because if I don't get my appetite back soon, I'm going to be in really bad shape.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I know that when I get restless, irritable and discontent it is time to take immediate action. I think about my eating a lot and am a big planner; I went through the having-to-eat-again, making myself do it, early on because I was in such bad shape and had been living on vodka, pretty much. Now I have to focus on not letting myself get to starving (especially with long restaurant hours where I don't get a known time to eat).

I think any time is a "hard" time to quit and it's better not to put a heavy mantle on a holiday, birthday, national day at the polls, anything. Quitting today is better than putting it off, you are right!

As always, best wishes for everyone who needs to quit drinking, and strength for all of us as we go through all the days and big and little events of life. For me, if drinking is simply not an option (as it is not) then it's just....normal life no matter the day on the calendar. In fact, the "big ones" - like turning 40 in Aug- are so much better.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're busy and you have a lot going on!!! You've got this!! WE'VE got this!!

And keep in mind...... This means we already have 12 months of Holidays alcohol free!!! I still can't believe it!

Let's keep them rolling by.....

Always good to hear from you, Take Care!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always get a little squirrely once the season changes from Summer to Fall in my corner of the world. Darker earlier. And colder. I'm lovin' the Fall. Late Winter, not so much.

Good points you make! I'm also going to include soaking up some sunshine and vitamin D!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry your stressed what's been happening ?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Sorry your stressed what's been happening ?
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. If I win this weeks' football picks, I'll be much less stressed.

Hey Wolf, its work related. I'm learning a whole new industry, and as a realtor I'm an independent agent. I have an assigned mentor and help, but its up to me to learn, get clients and make money. The biggest hurdle I'm having right now is there are several online systems to learn how to navigate. In 3-4 months, I'll be fine. Thanks for asking bud.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice would be to keep your expectations real Jeff.

I've often found that 90% of the stress I feel is from me and my own expectations.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do your best - unless your pride hoists that bar so high that it's making you sick trying to reach it?

D
Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I've heard that field is dog eat dog so I imagine it is stressful added with multiple computer system to learn its understandable that the pressure is on if you want I can find some old links on practicing meditation in the office and other things that might help reduce stress like little life hacks stuff

that's if I can find it & if you want it lol either way chin up bud your doing great
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being new at your profession is stressful...good that you seem to be geared up for that and have great awareness. I like the "toolbox/toolbelt" metaphor for sobriety. Remember you can only do what you can do right NOW and you're not responsible for things you have no control over. Keep the right focus and it sounds like you ARE doing that, so that is more me just telling myself that.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Haven't posted in awhile, thought I'd chime in. First, it seems this is a tough time of year for many people. If I remember correctly, I recall seeing many people struggling this time last year. I guess all I can add to the conversation is that now is a great time to get some substantial sober time under your belt, so when the Holidays roll around you can be strong. Trying to quit between Thanksgiving and New Years is pretty difficult, but obviously can (and has) been done. I don't count days, but I think I'm coming up on about a year.

What is weird is that this week I have succumb to stress from somewhere. I can't put my finger on it, but my stomach is in knots, I've only eaten one meal per day, its all I can do to workout, and I even skipped yesterday. I've lost weight, I know it. I hope it passes soon because if I don't get my appetite back soon, I'm going to be in really bad shape.
I have come to believe that these "Weird Outs" are just a normal part of life. For so long we medicated our feelings away that when we have a down period we think it needs to be fixed. During these periods I just make sure I force myself to do the things that have kept me sober so far. Just remember, "This to shall pass."
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I've often found that 90% of the stress I feel is from me and my own expectations

D
Wow! This jumped out at me dee.I d forgotten how true this is.thank you dee
Old 10-01-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hang in there buddy, ok?

i am by nature a fretter and get worked up with ANY event coming up....whether it is something i WANT to do or not. in fact i think the more closely "attached" i am to the event, the more stressed i get beforehand. to the point i want to cancel. every time!

what i know is that i get thru it.....just not with many style points!

rachet it down just a bit, get that extra nap in, eat in small bits......graze.....

but know that you are ok, and it will all be ok.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Life can get to feeling a bit overwhelming at times...like how on earth am I going to do what I am supposed to do and/or NEED to do and still remain healthy and sane and everything else? A new career is a major life change...and while it can be exciting and even a refreshing change, it's still pretty stressful. I tend to be a type "A" when I am at work. So, at HOME I counter-balance that by being low keyed and laid back. Sometimes, it's okay to just take a quiet day for yourself....and not feel pressured to do this and that. Triage what needs to be done and take of the most pressing matters, but if there's nothing too terribly pressing going on, don't sweat it, just relax. It'll be okay...smile...you deserve to be HAPPY!
Old 10-01-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Life can get to feeling a bit overwhelming at times...like how on earth am I going to do what I am supposed to do and/or NEED to do and still remain healthy and sane and everything else? A new career is a major life change...and while it can be exciting and even a refreshing change, it's still pretty stressful. I tend to be a type "A" when I am at work. So, at HOME I counter-balance that by being low keyed and laid back. Sometimes, it's okay to just take a quiet day for yourself....and not feel pressured to do this and that. Triage what needs to be done and take of the most pressing matters, but if there's nothing too terribly pressing going on, don't sweat it, just relax. It'll be okay...smile...you deserve to be HAPPY!
It's great that you're able to do that.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I've often found that 90% of the stress I feel is from me and my own expectations.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do your best - unless your pride hoists that bar so high that it's making you sick trying to reach it?

D
You hit the nail on the head Dee. I do demand a lot from myself. It was making me sick. Your perception of people is amazing.