Notices

What are you doing instead of drinking?

Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you guys doing instead of drinking?
My day two sober consists of not leaving this site, and wAtching all the movies that I want not obligating myself to do anything stranious concentrating on just doing me, oh, and putting down a huge fat free dairy free frozen yogurt loaded with Oreos. Life is so beautiful and I am so lucky to be alive and have all that I have including my health.

What are you guys grateful for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4819.JPG (36.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Going into my 45th minute waiting at the salon for two kid haircuts because I forgot picture day tomorrow. Go Mom! I lead such an exciting life.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In a few hours I will be at 40 days. The past week I have been changing my diet and exercising ALOT!!! The first 2 weeks were really bad for me. What I can say about your food and this site. Stay on both use them like no other! Eat all you want whatever you want lol I sure did. I mean I think it was end of week 2? I had an enormous appetite. lol Also, post as much as you want. I believe I was posting almost hours in the beginning. Just be patient and know people understand. Youre doing awesome!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

previewed 5 homes, called 2 loan officers and 5 contacts, picked up marketing materials, reviewed/memorized agency and arbitration disclosure forms, wrote short blog and took 5 pictures. No workout today.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol. First favorite quote, "Go mom!"

My hats off to you guys. Thank you for all the support.

You're right Thomas, when I don't drink my mind is actually INTERESTED in life, you were able to accomplish all that in a few hours, when I think about it, I literally stump my intelligence and PURPOSE when I drink.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I plan to watch some Netflix before going to bed early. Back on day one and my body needs the rest. Chores can wait.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today I'll be doing:

- some good parenting (finishing up packing for Child 1's camp and dropping her off);
- some bad parenting (letting Child 2 watch TV);
- some work from home (today, technically, is a work day; I'll try to squeeze a couple of hours in);
- some tedious, but necessary stuff (making dinner, doing laundry);
and some fun stuff (watching a movie later, reading my book).

I'm grateful that I can and that it keeps me out of trouble.

ETA: I found, in the very early days, that breaking the time up into manageable units helped the day go quicker.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not quite sober 30 days, a few things I've discovered I really liked when not drinking.
Instead of happy hour with some dip s&$t bar flys.
I go to the rec center on way home, for a steam, cold shower after man that makes a bad day fall away, better than a double beam and beer.
I always liked to cook, but now I'm just not putting good food on table, I'm getting all Gordon Ramsay, with my cooking, family has been impressed. Main reason my wife married me is I can cook, now she's really impressed.
I once loved to lay numb on the couch watching the evening hours drift away in beer and whisky haze.
Now, I cook, I walk with my kids, I take part in their lives, and come bed time....yea sometimes I still can't sleep, so I find zombie movies on Netflix and escape into the show.
When I drank, I called in sick, so I could booze up as soon as wife left the house for her job.
Now if, and this hasn't happened yet but it will, if I call in sick, it will be because me, wife and kids are going to take a mental health day from work and school, eat sugar and do some fun stuff.
When I drank I was alone after leaving work and hitting the bar.
Now, after my steam, it is an AA meeting where I'm never alone.
So that's what I do now that I don't drink.
Mick
Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gonna try to play with the dog and compose some music. If nothing else, listen to some music. Sobering up has zapped my creative urges so far. Maybe that's the fogginess everyone talks about.

I'm feeling pretty greatful this website. I didn't think it would be helpful, but maybe the anonymity of the Internet makes it easier to have honest conversations for some folks?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That looks good. Everybody is eating sweeties

Let's see...l cleaned the bathrooms, vacuumed, did hot yoga, went to a meeting, walked the dogs, bought my daughter some new overpriced Vans, ate a salad and am now sittin in my comfy clothes watching the news. Life is grand.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I am finally home, been going since 4 am. Having pizza and I don't care if I dribble oil down my shirt.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Enjoying the family and friends more.
Church and bible studies.
SoberRecovery.com
Bicycle riding with occasional hiking and camping.
Often eating out at nice restaurants.
The many outside animals are cool and fed well.
AA meetings but -- not that many lately -- don't wish to stay away for long.
M-Bob
Old 09-29-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am enjoying the feeling of knowing that I don't have alcohol hidden around the house and wondering if anyone will find it. Watching some food network and thinking about some dinner.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am walking my dogs much more.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As for me, not five minutes ago I confirmed a guided hike to a glacier in the Southern Alps of New Zealand. A long-held dream. Saturday I'll celebrate two years sober, which is incredible to me as I went for ages and couldn't string more than two days together without a drink or hangover. I calculated what I had been spending on beer and stashed it away so in a little over 4 weeks it's goodbye to the Deep South of the US and hello to the Deep South of the globe! Living without shame and regret has done wonders.....and it happened one day at a time.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA Member

puttin' a roof on my house with my sponsor and his crew
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that my beloved horses are coming to live with me.

Instead of drinking I stay fairly glued to this site, go to AA meetings and stick to the AA program and speak to my sponsor and fellow AA members. Soon I will also add working or riding my horses to this list . Oh, now I feel bad. I am a furbaby mother to a yorkie-poo that I inherited from my grandmother who passed a month ago, and a 12 year old cat called Gabby whom I've had since a kitten.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for sharing your lives! I am starting to understand why you guys stay on the site, hearing everyone's different lives gives me the idea that I TOO should be doing the right thing, living like a good adult and choosing my health first.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For the first week, I spent most of my time on here scouring the forums. I also did a lot of Netflix binging. I still do that!

I've been focusing on a healthy routine and a nourishing diet. I've been pretty successful with that, so it's given me a much-needed self-confidence boost.

I read, I write, I work on training with my dog, and I actually leave the house to go places! (vs. shutting myself in to drink)... I guess I do a lot
Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Watching tv with family, surfing. Decompressing, just feeling glad tomorrow is Friday.