Notices

Back on day 1 again and sick of it

Old 09-28-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on day 1 again and sick of it

I'm back on day 1 after trying to give up smoking by drinking. My psychiatrist cut out my benzos last Tuesday and said that he didn't want to be my valium script writer. He's very strict.

Anyway I ended up out of money for smokes but only managed 2 days and then had to get another loan off a friend. The terrible part was that I nearly collapsed on the floor of the shower yesterday and had to jump out soaking wet with shampoo in my hair and lie down. There's no point telling me to go to the doctor because he's already told me I have to give up alcohol. I've never been so frightened in my life considering that the floor is tiled. I still can't stand up for any length of time.

Has anyone else ever felt lightheaded and dizzy like that coming off the alcohol? Maybe I just needed to vent as I've been awake all night and its now 4.30am.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I'm back on day 1 after trying to give up smoking by drinking.
I don't think alcohol abuse is a legitimate smoking cessation program.

Hope you feel better soon and can get back to sobriety.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there, idk about your dizziness and such but alcohol withdrawal can cause all sorts of things. I'm rather surprised your doctor prescribed valium for you....I've only heard of librium for withdrawal. But ok, your doctor drew a line in the sand. Is it maybe time to consider rehab? I fought it for a long time but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. It's not as scary or as awful as you might thing....in fact, I actually enjoyed having that time for myself to heal and recover. Everyone is there for the same reason so you make friends quickly. Please consider it.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hello sweet
Old 09-28-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been in a few rehabs years ago when I still had the kids. I found I ended up with dodgy friends who only led me down the wrong paths when I saw them after we all got out. But maybe it is time to consider it again.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree trying to give up smoking by drinking was the dumbest idea yet. Maybe it was some sort of subconscious excuse to keep going and control my drinking yet again.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit smoking through using nicorette. That was 10 years ago, and I still chew the gum. Im going to try quitting the gum in the new year. You cant quit all your vices in one shot, thats a tall order.
For me, quitting alcohol was all that is important. Im now 10+months alcohol free and still gaining strength day by day.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Vaping was the only thing that worked for me, to quit smoking.
I also get dizzy for a day or two after quitting drinking - if you think about it, you're dehydrated and then I bet it wasn't a cold shower - making you even more dried out It will pass! Just drink lots of water to compensate.
I'm really sorry you're going through this again - I'm back on day 4 myself, as you know and each day is better than the one before. How about I throw you a rope and you come join me?

Z x
PS Quitting smoking and booze at the same time, is a LOT to expect of yourself. I'd concentrate on the stopping the booze for now x
Old 09-28-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been in a few rehabs years ago when I still had the kids. I found I ended up with dodgy friends who only led me down the wrong paths when I saw them after we all got out. But maybe it is time to consider it again.
welp, did they drag you down the wrong path or did you volunteer? who was it that allowed those people in your life?

when i got sober i had a choice- i could hang with people that were also new to recovery or i could hang with people that had been sober for a long time.
i chose to hang with those that had been sober for a long time.
why?
because those people knew how to stay sober and i wanted to learn, which i wouldn't have learned how to stay sober around other people new to sobriety. the only thing we knew was how to get drunk.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A rope sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the support Zanna. I tend to drink coffee all day and then when withdrawing forget to drink water instead. We can be quit buddies. Congrats on day 4.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

What's your plan x
Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nicorette is great. I've got some gum but its 2 years old and I'm not sure if its working well or not. I don't think going through alcohol withdrawal and quitting smoking is a good idea either. It was an idea my psychiatrist had or that's what I thought. Maybe I got confused.

Last edited by sweetichick; 09-28-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: computer problem
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My plan is just to get through half the day and hopefully get some sleep later this afternoon. That's all I can feel up to.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Coffee is dehydrating as well - might be an idea to leave that for a day or so
Old 09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My take ... forget the whole smoking thing. Collapsing when you aren't drinking is an indication of a severe problem. Go to a Doctor/hospital right away. I almost died from alcohol and I know this is serious. There are a number of conditions you could be suffering from and even though they are due to your alcohol use, they require special care. If you are collapsing you may be suffering from some very serious effects of alchohol abuse. All a Doctor may tell you is stop using alchohol, what you need to remember is you may need medical aid in your detox. It's serious. Please consider a hospital. Despite the cost it may be that or your life. Sorry to be so negative but right now that is what you need to focus on. Once you detox, people here will help you on your path to permanent sobriety. First you have to live.

I'm back on day 1 after trying to give up smoking by drinking. My psychiatrist cut out my benzos last Tuesday and said that he didn't want to be my valium script writer. He's very strict.

Anyway I ended up out of money for smokes but only managed 2 days and then had to get another loan off a friend. The terrible part was that I nearly collapsed on the floor of the shower yesterday and had to jump out soaking wet with shampoo in my hair and lie down. There's no point telling me to go to the doctor because he's already told me I have to give up alcohol. I've never been so frightened in my life considering that the floor is tiled. I still can't stand up for any length of time.

Has anyone else ever felt lightheaded and dizzy like that coming off the alcohol? Maybe I just needed to vent as I've been awake all night and its now 4.30am.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes plenty of dizziness and rapid heart beat among other things from alcohol withdrawal. Benzos also kind of double the affect physically on the brain-so take it easy during withdrawal and I really have to suggest you don't drink coffee or caffeine while you do this.

The bad news is withdrawals get worse with continued drinking, and even if you stop for a time and go back- they will be worse.

The good news is this can be the last time and we are here for you.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've def been there with collapsing and feeling light headed from no alcohol. I'm known for hating going to the hospital and usually refuse it. But the more u wait, the more fear u build up inside yourself. It's not fun going to the ER and saying you're having trouble from no alcohol. But it will end. And it does get better.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with what was said about looking into rehab again. I still keep in touch with a few people I met in treatment, but they all live in different states. Besides... rehab isn't really about making friends anyway, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on how the friendships will go after you're all out of treatment.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree trying to give up smoking by drinking was the dumbest idea yet. Maybe it was some sort of subconscious excuse to keep going and control my drinking yet again.
This was such a bad idea.

It sounds like you should be talking to your dr again, even if you've been to him. The dizziness you're experiencing is concerning. I hope you find a way to stop drinking.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nicorette is great. I've got some gum but its 2 years old and I'm not sure if its working well or not. I don't think going through alcohol withdrawal and quitting smoking is a good idea either. It was an idea my psychiatrist had or that's what I thought. Maybe I got confused.
I've been in rehab several times and yes, there are a lot of dodgy people there. Not everybody is there to get clean IMHO. I remember driving a guy home after we both completed treatment, and the guy had the nerve to offer to share some cocaine with me. Pretty nuts. I did meet some nice people there, but we eventually lost contact. Distance was an issue. But I think if someone goes into treatment really wanting to get clean and find ways to stay clean, they can do it.
As far as the lightheadedness goes, I have had that many times. I think it's partially due to dehydration and maybe not eating well. I also fell out of a shower once, shower curtain and all. Not fun. Last thing; the last time I was in treatment, I told the doctor that I wanted to quit smoking while there. He advised against it, saying quitting one addiction is tough enough on my system. He suggested I quit alcohol for around a year, than quit smoking. John