Notices

AV-Alive and Well

Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AV-Alive and Well

For recovering addicts the approach often taken is to put the AV in a cage, tell it to shut up and ignore it from then on. Good advice when the AV is primarily engaged in crying and scheming for a drink. But I have found, at least with myself, despite prolonged sobriety, prolonged so long that I seem to have lost all cravings and rarely think about alcohol in moments of stress or self congratulation, that my AV is alive, well and active in many other ways. This makes sense since I’m not dead-yet. The parts of my brain where my AV lives (I say parts not part since the brain happens to be more decentralized than traditionally thought) are quite alive and doing their thing in other ways: obsessive compulsive “multitasking” (encouraged by being told that we are “on the go!”) perfectionism, obsession with “career”, “me”, “Look mamma what I did!”), paranoia about inanimate objects (“My computer won’t ‘let’ me...!”, my scissors “got away from me!” My car “refuses” to let me start it!).
I want what I what when I want it and I want it right now! And you’re keeping me from getting it! I can tell! You can’t fool the old AV!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yeah Bill, the AV may surface now and again...

I treat the AV the same way I do my ex-wife. She's long gone and off doing her own thing, completely out of my life. Every once in a while something will cause me to think of her. Then I remember what she did to me and how thankful I am that she's gone, and continue about my business.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For those of us beginning our journey that is good to keep in mind - to always be prepared for the whispers.

Thank you for posting that.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really needed to see this today. Thank you.

I've noticed some of this in myself and I think that it feels wrong but didn't completely put it together.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

To be honest my AV is like a crappy hack stand up nowadays it used to be a lot more powerful that I called it my pet dinosaur & anytime I hear a thought I just double down on my recovery nothing starves an av like acceptance & personal work on your recovery
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober wolf: When your posts all say, "He who knows that he doesn't know, knows." that seems to me genuine Taoist philosophy. A truth embedded in what might appear to be a self contradiction. A mystic Hegelian synthesis,

Bill.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Bill