Notices

Ba de ya, say do you remember

Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ba de ya, say do you remember

Ba de ya, dancing in September
Ba de ya, never was a cloudy day

Last Tuesday Pop Pickers we had a bit of Breaking Glass by Nick Lowe describing the sound of the recycling bin being emptied and the sound of all my empty wine bottles.

From the same year we now have a bit of Earth, Wind and Fire.

On one hand it describes the weather outside (we have a blue sky with a couple of wispy clouds). But on the other hand it describes how I feel.

I'm only on Day 3 but what a different day 3. Yesterday I finally 'got' that I can live my life a lot happier. If I stop getting stressed about stuff that may be a bit 'wonky' but have no impact on my future (eg washing machine playing up) then I don't have the flimsy excuse of 'oh woe is me, have a wine'.

So, my son is 18 in 22 days time and the odds are my sister's will again not bother to even send him a card or text - one never has and the other comes up with an excuse. Been the same for 15 of his 18 years. A) Used to it by now, B) My son doesn't lt it bother him C) It's not going to affect my future. SO nope, this year don't care if they do or don't. If they don't then it's more of a reflection on what they are like.

I have a doctor's appointment this morning as my small dose antidepressant leaves me brain dead for most of the morning (even though taken the nigh before) so i may just have to put on my dancing shoes and boogie there and back as I did in the 70's !!!! (Actually I didn't as I was born in 1968 but I can pretend!)

Happy Wednesday everyone - if I can do this you can. Here's to a happier and healthier life xx
Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3, Virginia. Sorry things aren't smoother with your sisters. Have you had a chance to make any birthday plans yet? 18 is a big one! Sounds like you've raised an understanding young man.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DolAndel View Post
Congrats on day 3, Virginia. Sorry things aren't smoother with your sisters. Have you had a chance to make any birthday plans yet? 18 is a big one! Sounds like you've raised an understanding young man.
We live in the UK but are going to Florida for the week of his birthday. On the birthday itself we are going to do a behind the scenes tour of the Magic Kingdom.

My son is theatrical (he is playing Khashoggi in the end of year production of We Will Rock You and earlier in the year his drama class at school put on a show that local people 'in the know' said was West End standard) so loves all the 'show' side of Disney.

He has even agreed to wear a T shirt that says '18 today' which I thought I'd hidden away but hadn't!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, good stuff. Have ya been to the states before?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DolAndel View Post
Haha, good stuff. Have ya been to the states before?
I visited a schoolfriend in Ohio in 1988, New York for a couple of days for a holiday, Hartford CT and Harrisburg PA for work and Disney World five times between 1991 and 2015.

Last year was for the first time since 1997 but my son's dad 'invited' himself along and it was the longest two years of my life. Every day reminded me why we divorced in 2000!

So we're there for a week to celebrate my son's birthday. We're also back for two weeks beginning September next year as a one last, big holiday before he heads off to University (and probably won't come back as we live in a small town that nobody with any sense lives in!)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats on day 3 x
Old 09-28-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My son can't cope with this new me.

He knew what time I was cooking dinner for but had a friend round watching a film in his room so I just cooked for me.

I also reminded him that his room had to be tidied (as agreed) by tonight otherwise everything gets put in bags and thrown away. I've reiterated that to him and that it won't be in the bin outside the house but taken to the local rubbish dump.

I sent all that in a text message. He just came out his room and asked if I was angry. I explained nope, not angry. He is an adult so his choices, his repercussions :-)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

Hi Virginia,

My daughter turns 18 Friday...time flies doesn't it. She's already started college and has a band scholarship. Last weekend, she came home for a visit (well not really) her band competed against one of the local bands here.

Happy birthday to your son. I'm sure he'll have a blast at Disney!

More importantly, congrats on your sober time

ETA: I love The Elements (Earth, Wind and Fire). I was born in '74 LOL