Notices

5 Days Gone

Old 09-27-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Days Gone

I was doing really well. Then a day off, early morning run, gym after, breakfast and what the hell, a bloody mary with eggs because I had been so good. Why not, it's just a cocktail. One and then another, another-- bagged by 2:00p. Disgusted with me.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did the same at the weekend. Put it behind you and come back to posting more I'm glad I did and I'm sure you will be too.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ditto for me. Had my big girl pants on thinking I had this thing licked. Nope !! Back to day one I go.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a bummer. Do you want to quit again?

I think acceptance and surrender are the foundation of recovery. For me anyway. I have to accept completely that I am powerless over alcohol and that I can not drink...one day at a time. And I have to surrender to the fact that if I drink I will destroy my life...and maybe the life of others.

A plan, A program. Do you have one?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you ever 'lick' alcoholism. You can, however, recover.

Jdspang, one thing I wondered reading your post is hunger. Hunger was a trigger for me and I wonder if going for a run and then to the gym before eating breakfast could have affected your decision. I'm glad you're back.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ultimately learn from this from this point keep drinking & things just get depressingly worse as I painfully found out

Have you got a plan my friend beating yourself up isn't helping know you can lean on us to help your recovery
Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I think acceptance and surrender are the foundation of recovery. For me anyway. I have to accept completely that I am powerless over alcohol and that I can not drink...one day at a time. And I have to surrender to the fact that if I drink I will destroy my life...and maybe the life of others.
^^^^ Ditto... acceptance and surrender.

Welcome back. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was so much easier for me to accept that I'm an alcoholic and that my body and mind just can't process alcohol like others can....ever. It doesn't matter how much time passes. I will never be able to process alcohol like others.....because I'm an alcoholic. Alcohol is just a symptom of my addictive personality. I need to be mindful of anything that could cause me to "check-out".

I also suggest finding other ways to congratulate yourself for doing a good job. Think of how you could do that now....not in the moment.

Glad you're talking about it.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I don't think you ever 'lick' alcoholism. You can, however, recover.

Jdspang, one thing I wondered reading your post is hunger. Hunger was a trigger for me and I wonder if going for a run and then to the gym before eating breakfast could have affected your decision. I'm glad you're back.
No, not really. Trained athlete with scheduled diet, just too often susceptible to reward of drink after. Personal life a wreck at the moment doesn't help.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone, you are always there. you all inspire me. This is the second round for me. I was sober from 2005 to 2012, great years with much accomplished. Job loss, divorce, started drinking again. Flash forward today. Fed up, trying to stop being a drunk, but it ain't easy. I do think I can do it again. What's the other option? We all know.

I always come back to reading your posts.

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi jd
Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi, January. still in
Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Drinking after 5 days is re charging the booze in the system.

5 days is when the anxiety starts to show through...the brain damage.

Give your brain a month or 2. You will then realize how potentially damaged it is.

It has taken the better part of a year for me to feel the real damage and slowly pull out of the death spiral.

Each time you relapse....the hole gets deeper.

I post this w the intent of education. I wish someone told me this.....25 years agao.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand reward drinking all to well, its a tough one to break because the session is always preceded by something very positive like a workout. If you are a trained athlete, you know that stringing a few weeks together of hard training with no alcohol propels you to even greater heights. wish you the best.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

It has been a big struggle to reprogram that "reward drinking" part of my brain. That was really my only trigger, other than the fact that I just really liked the feeling of being drunk. Ice cold beer after a long bike ride/long day's work in the yard/long week at work. That was my thing.

Now I realize how absurd that is. Reward your hard work with a bottle full of poison and a hangover! Of course! Oh, and throw in the hurt look on your kids' eyes when they see you turn to beer at the end of the day instead of playing with them!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I understand reward drinking all to well, its a tough one to break because the session is always preceded by something very positive like a workout. If you are a trained athlete, you know that stringing a few weeks together of hard training with no alcohol propels you to even greater heights. wish you the best.
Thanks, Thomas. Trying to get back to training without the drink, some days are hard. Today, not so good. Tomorrow maybe better.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apart from training, whats your recovery plan look like jd?

D