Notices

Back to Day 1

Old 09-26-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PiratePrentice View Post
Zanna's app suggestion is a great one! Yesterday was another Day 1 for me, too. I also downloaded an app that tracks progress to the second. As I type this sentence, I have one day, thirteen hours, ten minutes, and fifteen seconds under my belt. I can't to see that day marker go to 2 tonight. And I really want to see the week number get to 1. That's my goal for now. After that, I want to see the month go to 1, as well. It keeps me in the moment and allows my goals to be short and day by day, hour to hour, instead of just having the terrifying mindset of "I'll never drink again." It also gives you trophies for other goals, too- three days, double digits, etc.

I wish you the best! Thank you for posting, and keep us updated!
Sounds like we're around the same point 1 day, 20hrs and 31 mins now (mine doesn't 'do' seconds, but that's ok)
Hope all the day one's are hanging in there - loads of water and only a few days until it all starts to feel better. We never have to go through this again!!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jodc View Post

I have been looking at the plan....I still don't know what it IS....
except no drinking....
I use to volunteer and I am a crafter of greeting cards and jewelry. I can't MAKE myself return to doing these things and I don't know why. Any ideas anyone?
I'm not sure I can explain it any better or simply than the links I gave you, to be honest jodc.

Anyone can say 'I'm going to try not to drink' but what are the mechanics behind that?

What are you going to do the next time you want to drink?

what are your triggers or hot points?
can you think of other ways to deal with them besides drinking?

do you have enough support? if not, what else could you add?

do you use the support you have? if not, why not? how you could make that more effective?

Have you made changes to your lifestyle that reflect your decision to be sober? What more could you do?

Have you made changes to the way you deal with problems, stress, boredom or whatever else you drank for? what more could you do there?

those kinds of questions are really the basis of making a plan.

D
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I use the SoberTool app. It tracks your days and the money you save from not using or drinking and if you are craving or triggered it gives suggestions.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
Have any of you got the phone app that tells you how long you've been sober/clean for? I'm finding it helps to watch the time ticking by. Right now it's
1 day 11 hours and 46 minutes. Sounds crazy, but I can imagine if cravings hit, I'll be looking to watch the next full hour coming etc - good distraction Worth a try?
Having said that, as this point, I don't ever want to set eyes on booze again.
I have an app installed on my phone with sober timer. First thing I check in the morning. I even take screen shots of it and send it to my sponser. Its a good way to keep motivated.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not sure I can explain it any better or simply than the links I gave you, to be honest jodc.

Anyone can say 'I'm going to try not to drink' but what are the mechanics behind that?

What are you going to do the next time you want to drink?

what are your triggers or hot points?
can you think of other ways to deal with them besides drinking?

do you have enough support? if not, what else could you add?

do you use the support you have? if not, why not? how you could make that more effective?

Have you made changes to your lifestyle that reflect your decision to be sober? What more could you do?

Have you made changes to the way you deal with problems, stress, boredom or whatever else you drank for? what more could you do there?

those kinds of questions are really the basis of making a plan.

D
Thanks for this reminder Dee! I drank a lot out of boredom, and this weekend was hard. Everything seemed to take forever.....I am trying to add new activities, or old favorites! (Baking, reading, shopping) There is always more we can do...to keep our minds off of the demon calling (booze/drugs). I read here daily, and am blessed to have the support!

DAY 12 SOBER!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Hi jodc,

My take on the plan was slightly different. Not drinking is number one on the list, but this is the only item pointing to my past. Everything else are things that I need t do in order to become the person I want to be.

This not only keeps me busy and sober, but every inch of progress makes me happy for a reason other than just staying sober, so motivation levels have been very high over here. You can achieve that too, set your mind to it and I know you can do it.

Hope that helps.

P
Great advice here. I have also focused on making positive choices as part of recovery, and not drinking is the biggest one.

Dee always posts a good link about plans, take a look at that as well.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I feel so much better hearing from all of you; what awesome, heartwarming advice and encouragement came through here - thank you so much!
I didn't sleep at all last night and I really need to get to bed but really!
I just want to spend all night telling each of you how much I appreciate you!
OK enough gushing...

What I am taking with me to the land of nod is:

Not necessarily in this order...
1. I am definitely not alone in my struggle to hang on to one day...bless you all
2. Picking up that drink is not an option.
3. ASK FOR HELP.
4 It's a WE thing!!!!
5. Get specific about how I'm going to make this work.
6. So much gratitude....for so many things!

I feel so much better today! you all rock!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've had quite a few day ones now myself, It's good to recognize fast! I would typically end up going all out for a while before coming to terms with the fact I can't continue on. In the past I was making the mistake of not looking at this as a permanent thing.

seems like the relapses make the WDs a bit worse, this time they hit me in ways they hadn't before.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 2 Is behind me and I am feeling very grateful this evening.

My computer crapped out on me today so the Geek Squad has it till Thursday so I won't be here as much.

Wishing you all restful nights and happy, productive days.