Notices

Not sure what I was thinking...

Old 09-26-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know almost exactly how you're feeling. I had the same thing happen to me last week. Four days sober, no WD, feeling great, then out of nowhere, I impulsively not only drank, but went overboard. Also think it may have been due to me being a bit cocky with no WD symptoms. Woke up with something infinitely worse than a hangover- shame. I wallowed and pitied myself for half the day, but then I got up, took a long shower, and I decided it would be a new Day 1.

There won't be a good way to make that shame go away for a little while. It's natural- all of those feelings you described. And maybe some of it is good for you, so it reinforces how terrible you'll feel if you drink in the future. That fact that you're even feeling them in the first place is a good thing! It means you don't want to drink. But don't pity yourself or wallow in how terrible you feel any longer than you feel you have to. Just changing your mindset to, "Okay. I drank yesterday. I can't change that. But it's over now. I'm going to be sober from now on." may be all you need to help get you through this current emotional turmoil. We're here to support, not embarrass or demean. Slipping can happen to anyone at any stage of recovery, and as long as you get right back to sobriety, it doesn't have to be a huge setback. Especially when you're lucky enough to not have WD symptoms. I'm really glad you posted this. A lot of us can relate. Good luck! You can do it!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

I couldn't find the exact quote, but the AA Big Book talks about how we (alcoholics) have a knack for drinking or binging at the worst possible times. Like the night before a job interview or an important meeting. Or the first day at work at a new job. Or the night before I had committed to do something for or with someone that I really didn't want to do.

That was pretty much my calling card.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Go at things again, draw a line under it and keep moving forward.

Support before picking up that drink can be invaluable, there's plenty of folk here that will talk you out of, maybe that's something to tweak in your plan!!

You can do this!!