Notices

Tapering off.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering off.

Good morning everyone,

I have joined this site as I am serious about quitting drinking alcohol. It has affected me, family, friends, and my job. Little background, I started drinking heavily hard liquor 35% alcohol content since about 2014/2015. And for months now I drink a whole bottle throughout the day and night. I know it's not a good idea to go cold turkey, I want to taper off. If I have been drinking an entire bottle for months everyday, how should I taper off?
Old 09-25-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Crypto

Alcohol Detox can be dangerous so we can't give you medical advice of that kind here.

In any case the best and safest way is to see a Dr - get yourself checked out and see what they think is a safe way to proceed.

D
Old 09-25-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Crypto,

Like Dee said....see a Dr....it is the safest...you could have a stroke etc. Detoxing. A dr. May offer/give you drugs to help detox, some of them...I hear...are worse than booze....some are addictive and mess w your brain in new and different ways....yay?

It may be a conspiracy...that is another post...anyway...

I couldn't see dr. W out risk of losing my job. We have to report dr. Visits. Then they start asking questions. While they ask questions, I would not be able to work. I could have ended up fired.

So i didnt see a dr........no medical advice...I quit w a modified taper...

I was more of a cycle....drink a little for a few days...drink a lot for a few days....don't drink for a few....etc. I was detoxing all the time. Heart pallipatations, night sweats, fevers...it was how I rolled for a while.

In the end..when I quit...I hadn't drank for about 9 days...then drank about 500ml or so of wisky in about 6 hours.

That was my last drinking session...last day ever to drink. I poured all the booze I had down the drain and stopped.

It was extremely hard all the time for about a weak.

Then it was really hard most of the time for about a month.

Then it was hard some of the time for about a year.

Now it is a little hard almost never.

Make sense? Read the sticky on...what we did....also...there are tapering articles out there....but...the SR in the door answer is...see a dr.

I started having moderate paranoia like anxiety attacks periodically and a few hypoglycemia attacks in the end. I went on faith that these incidents were alcohol related. I used the paranoia I had to motivate me to not drink.

I believed the booze caused it all.

I was right.

Today, at nearly 17 months clean, 95% of my physical issues seem gone. Now I am just a pretty strong 51 year old. I have mental issues, obsessive stuff mostly, but they were likely always there.

Physically, I am pretty much a beast.

I can be around booze now. I am lucky that it only bothers me a little. Some folks can't be around it.

I am very protective and proud of my sobriety. It is how we were designed to live. Humans were never intended to drink booze. It is a learned behavior.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tapering may or may not be successful. As an alcoholic I, by nature, can't control my drinking. That being said I have done it in the past.

The best bet is to see a dr or go to medically supervised detox.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crypto80 View Post

If I have been drinking an entire bottle for months everyday, how should I taper off?
It seems that most any ER would at least give you an idea of a safe taper.

In hospital (rehab) settings they usually have the drunk steady in 5 to 10 days with the use of drugs so as to ease the stress on mind and body.

Please -- Call any hospital or rehab center.

M-Bob
Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would echo what MBob said, and add...when I finally quit going on 8mo ago, I did it cold turkey. And I had a handle of vodka/2 days habit by that point, up from 2-3 bottles of wine (at least), over too many years. I was very sick and went through PAWS quite significantly...but I was fine. It was do or die for me and I wasn't going to die by drinking, and I wasn't going to die getting through the immediate aftermath. Sidenote- I also didn't have to work for 5 weeks. I had done supervised detox before, very much like MBob described, but mentally I had no desire to be sober. That's the part about tapering that I personally find dangerous- you can play many (MANY) games with the actual quitting part.

Good luck to you- whatever you do, you know you have a problem having alcohol in your life and I hope you decide to stop drinking for good. It truly is better on this side.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Crypto!!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The hardest part of tapering is if you have the willpower to do it. In my experience I would go from a 24/7 binder, to just once a day, then half of that the next day, half of that the next, then stop, which left the withdraw symptoms minimal.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member