Notices

Questionable advice

Old 09-25-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing to keep in mind is we need to walk the walk before we talk the talk. One of my favorite quotes comes from J.R. Tolkien, "Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."
Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
One thing to keep in mind is we need to walk the walk before talk the talk.
^This. The reality though, IMO, is that many of us get carried away with whatever we feel passionate about every now and then. I definitely don't think SR is homogeneous in terms of recovery mindsets/methods, quite the opposite. And recovery is a very loaded topic. For most of us, getting and staying sober is hands down one of the most difficult things achieved, if not the most difficult thing. I feel it is natural that we tend to be quite adamant about what we personally find helpful or unhelpful. I often also feel that advice by itself is not what generates conflict, it is more how it is presented and in what context. The thing is to remain mindful of what we say and how and if it goes too far, recognize our own part in it and not push it further. I am yet to see anyone who never gets carried away emphasizing our own truth, opinions and experiences. Also, it varies what each of us finds most helpful and when. I personally find it very helpful when my views and how I present them are challenged rather than constant validation and pat on the back, and because of this, I also have a tendency to do the same. But when someone does this constantly, it may be worth taking a deeper look at what drives the antagonistic behavior.