Notices

Want some positive PAWS stories

Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want some positive PAWS stories

I am trying to educate myself on the subject and all of the posts on this site scare me more. I have never had acute withdrawal, binged heavily 2 to 4 times a week on wine/hard liquor (probably serving size measured drinks at a time) for 3+ years. Mid thirties, petite female. I expect some symptoms and as a long time depression suffer, know the two can mix. I have heard too many horror stories on this topic. Did anyone have minimal symptoms or none at all? I would like to hear some of those stories.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I don't recall having trouble with this other than a few off days here and there. I'm not even sure what caused them, could be all sorts of reasons.

I think that maybe being overly concerned about this just might increase the chances of being affected. Instead, it might be good to keep in the back of your mind in the off chance you are having difficulty, then it could possibly be a factor.

Personally I don't believe it's guaranteed to affect everyone who stops drinking, but that's just my own observation.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not everyone experiences PAWS. It's normal to feel anxiety when you quit. For some that resolves quickly, others not. I had anxiety before drinking and still do sober, not as badly though. I really wouldn't worry about PAWS. You can't determine who might have longer withdrawals based on age, body type etc.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never experienced PAWS.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PAWS is different for everyone as we all have slightly different brain chemistry.

Your brain adjusts it's chemistry to account for the constant alcohol consumption. Because your brain chemistry has changed removing the alcohol basically causes a chemical imbalance.

How it effects you you cannot say. If it does effect you the key that helped me with it was simply understanding why.

When folks talk about extended "brain fog" that's PAWS.

I do not have any experience with it and alcohol, I do have experience with it due to opiate withdrawal and I have nothing positive to say about it.

If it happens you just have to grit your teeth, but for me just knowing what was going on really helped me come to terms with accepting it.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've encountered some PAWS symptoms usually at the 3 or 4 month of sobriety. I enrolled in some relapse prevention meetings towards the end of last year, which helped. Stooped attending due to work, kids high school baseball ect...
I need to start going again. I've had three small (time-wise) relapse's since, nothing over four days, then somehow I get back on track.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first year or so I would blame every brain fart or fuzzy day I had on PAWS. I had been taught about it in rehab and Googled the crap out of it early on so I of course obsessed over it. Not saying it's not real but if you dwell, obsess and constantly research negative information, you can give yourself all kinds illnesses or symptoms.
In early recovery (1st 6 months or so) you will have good and bad days as your mind and body heal. Ride it out and stay focused on the big picture.
By the way I drank heavily for 30 plus years and (in hind sight) my withdrawals weren't that bad.
Good luck!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had some signs of it the first year, like fuzzy thinking, inability to concentrate, anxiety. But after a year it went away.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

No PAWS for me. It didn't fit into my plans I guess.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Whatever I had, passed.

The greatest danger with PAWS may be fixating on it.