Notices

Funny Story

Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Funny Story

So, first time here in this forum, first post. I truly hope it won't be the last as I am not sober, YET.

I do want to share my story though, as I have not lost my sense of humor, YET.

The wife and I just got into an argument. She found another hidden bottle of booze I had stashed out in the garage. She wrote down the word "LIAR" on it, put it in a cabinet so that I would find it when I came home from work today.

I thought to myself, I've had it, I need to find better hiding places. So, as one normally does when they don't know the answer, they Google the question. Right?

I wrote in the Google search box "Best place to hide booze in the garage". I clicked on the top search result and started reading. Found some good tips and then realized that I was on this forum!

I'm not spiritual, but I do believe in signs. I think this was my sign that I have a drinking problem.

As I stated I have not stopped drinking, but as I'm sure all of you had stated, many many times probably, I need to stop drinking. I do need to stop. First and only DUI hopefully happened last year. Many fights with my wife over the years regarding my drinking, and she thought it fit to tell my kids about my ticket, so they are all pissed at me. All serious concerns of mine, yet I still have not stopped.

I am making headway though. I don't drink during the week any more, but hit it hard on the weekend. Also, I have an appointment with a substance abuse therapist next week. A hard step for me to say the least, but that call is now over and I'm actually looking forward to the appointment.

I will need help to do this, and as I have received help from other forums regarding other topics, I hope to also get some help here.

While this may be a funny story, my abuse is not funny and I am starting to realize that.

That's it for now, I just thought this would be a great way to introduce myself to everyone.

Thanks for reading, hope to write more next week after my appointment.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome FieldReport I'm really glad you found us - in a very unique way.

It's good that you're going to see a therapist next week. I felt very relieved when I finally admitted I could no longer pretend to control my drinking. Took me 30 yrs. I wasn't sober when I found SR - but reading & posting here gave me the courage to change my life. You can do it. We're glad to have you with us. You'll find plenty of encouragement here - from people who have been where you are & understand what you're going through.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. We're glad you're here, no matter how you got here.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy you found this place! Stay close to the people here, we will help you !!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well it's sort of not that funny. Maybe a sign. I used to hide my bottles in the garage, the basement , the shed you name it. The wife would find them and leave it somewhere like on top of my toolbox and I'd think I must have been really messed up not to have stashed it. This went on for a very short time then I figured it out. She would never say anything. She had years back but not anymore. After a while it stopped. No more meddling in my business. Yeah! home free! Several weeks later she said she was divorcing me.
Sorry for the long response. Just food for thought.

Good luck no matter how you proceed.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recognizing that you have a problem, and that it's impacting your life badly, is the start of the solution. Good for you for making an appointment with a counselor because action matters.

And, yep, you need to quit.

One of the most important things to realize is that alcoholism is progressive. If I could have looked into the future 10 or 15 years to see ago how the volume and frequency of my drinking increased, I'd have been horrified.

But it doesn't need to progress. (Or deteriorate, for a more apt verb.) You'll find a ton of support on SR. It's an amazing site with a lot of resources available to you. It's helped me profoundly; I've been sober three years now.

Welcome!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome FieldReport
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you on getting some help. I can agree with you, it is pretty funny...until it isn't. Then its just sad and dangerous. Hopefully you don't get to that point.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good. A better life is waiting for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here FR.....you have taken some big steps & glad your google search brought you here! You will find much support & encouragement here.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, FieldReport! You're getting some good encouragement and advice here from some folks with serious sober time under their belts. Please take it and run with it.

I'm only 16 days in, so I'm not one of the "heavy hitters" around here, yet, but I'll vouch for how important it is to read here frequently and post when you're comfortable. At minimum, it keeps you accountable to "someone," even if that someone is an anonymous face on the internet. I hope you find the support you need here at SR!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome fieldreport
Glad you found us I am glad I did
Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. That is funny, I initially found this site when I searched for recovery from a '3-day hangover'..hahaha, I am glad those days are over.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome FieldReport

I still say I was guided here back in '07.

There were a lot of other recovery sites to choose from back then but somehow I ended up here. Providence.

This is a great community - helped me turn my life around.
I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, FieldReport-

Through SR I too was able to find out how serious my problem with alcohol was and that I could be free of it. I stumbled across this site searching for 'alcohol withdrawal symptoms' ...another time 'am I an alcoholic'. After lurking for probably a year I finally signed up.

I found giving up drinking all together ended up being the answer- moderating how much, what time to drink and which days to drink took up too much energy and headspace.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Glad you accidentally stumbled on this site. Can do with some humour.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, FieldReport!

Google brought me here too when I was looking for help, but I can't even remember now what exactly I was searching for other than relief from the hell I was living in.

This place will give you a lot of information and support if you stick with us.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the no drinking club field report
Old 09-23-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi FieldReport,

Welcome to SR, whichever way it happened it's good that you found us.

I think now it s a good opportunity to take this fight properly. Realising you have a problem is a great step, but really it is going to be very difficult to make any long term progress until you really put in your mind that you want to stay sober.

I am only 45 days sober so nowhere near long term, but some of the things people say here opened my eyes that this is something you need to do full hearted.

We will help you along the way as you will help us! (To keep the sense of humour, maybe hide a bottle of milk to break the ice?)

P