Notices

Weekender Thread 22-25 September 2016

Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.

If you're new to sobriety, congratulations for making this decision on behalf of your life!

And if you're new to sobriety, you're going to realize that there are many rewards to living in recovery and one of the BEST -- for sure -- is getting your weekends back! No more feeling crummy, no more any of it.

Weekends are great now! It's so good to feel healthy!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend -
thanks Dee for the intro...I used to be sick all weekend and now I love every healthy minute of my weekends. I do fun things rather than trying to recover. Sober weekends are the best.
midnight blue....hugs to you. I hope today is better for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I may not spring out of bed like I used to, but that same anticipation, that same exhilaration... that same feeling of anything and everything is possible has returned to me.

do you guys identify with that?

Absolutely!!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Weekends are such a treat now. So many possibilities! Getting lots of stuff done around the house on Saturday mornings before noon, being able to plan stuff that involves driving with no worries, having the money I used to spend on booze to spend on fun things, waking up feeling refreshed and renewed on Monday morning, not hungover and frazzled, with regrets and anxiety. It's the best!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in too
Old 09-22-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

VirginiaW, your post got me. So many TV shows that I saw but didn't take in because i was too drunk. The benefit of sobriety, and reruns, I can see them anew.

MB, hugs. You will get through this but it sounds so wretched. I'm sorry.

Thank you Dee. I still have weekend issues. They aren't long enough to fit in all I need to do but at least I don't feel so horribly awful with hangovers and withdrawals. Shudders.

If you struggle, keep coming back. Distraction distraction distraction of the AV until you can safely go to bed. Sober!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Getting my weekends back has been a big motivator for me, too!

This weekend I'm planning on driving to the mountains to see the aspen trees changing color for the fall. I've lived here my whole life and never done that before. Especially since much of my adult life after 21 was spent worrying about drinking every weekend.

So I'm really looking forward to that!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 09-22-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great to see everyone on board to start this weekend. I have some friends coming to town from Costa Rica, we're going to do a little local touring here in the Guatemala mountains.

Dee, I remember those weekends growing up! Alas, I lost direction for a while but now I've got them back.

RECLAIM THE WEEKEND!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I would love to join you all for another sober weekend. Lots to do and it's nice to do them sober and not be constantly planning how I will fit drinking and dealing with a hangover in the next 3 days. My daughter has 7 (yes 7) homecoming dresses coming tomorrow via UPS. She only needs one. Lol. Fingers crossed one of them will be the right one.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

BD is in again!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Glad to be here. I'm sorry MB things are tough right now. Sending you a hug! Today is the official start of Fall in my neck of the woods; looking forward to it
Old 09-22-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What are your plans for the weekend, SC? Leaf peeping?

Seven homecoming dresses?! Yikes! Good luck Behappy. That sounds like a monumental task. To find THE DRESS.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you for the intro Dee and you are right, staying sober does give us back our weekend and all the pleasures and possibilties that come with it.

Welcome to Weekenders to all first time posters here, that would be VirginiaWoof, Roselover and Behappy

MidnightBlue you will get through this eventually but I understand it must be really hard for you right now. We will be here for you

This is a bit mean posting this but as a recovering alcoholic I did smile. I suppose if something is collectible enough it is valuable but even so...

£12,000 malt stolen in Blackford distillery raid - BBC News
Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Thanks Dee for the thread! I'm in deposition this afternoon. Gonna be a dogfight. I'll check in tomorrow.

p.s., I'm on the bus, of course.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Im in!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am having to work my pants off at work, although my job is not physical (it is Sales)I get home mentally shattered nearly every day. I turned 56 recently and even though i do like my job i cannot really take the pressure like I used to be able to, I spend most of the evening trying to decompress.(better than drinking)

Recently I have been trying to find out how much my past company pensions are worth (by the way this is extremely difficult in the UK, all sorts of obstacles and delays). So far it does not seem like anywhere near enough

Anyway the point of my rambling comments is that although not all of my problems can be blamed on drinking I maybe would not be looking at having to work until the age of about 93 to get a decent pension if I had concentrated on the career side of things rather than getting bluted.

Don't leave things as late as I did
Old 09-22-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Oh Behappy! I always loved homecoming and still have a few of my dresses! How exciting and special! So glad you're sober to really be there for the excitement!

Oh Sao! Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think! On the bright side...maybe you're youngest will marry rich and take care of you!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm fond of saying that my retirement plan is based on my children's future success. My daughter will never make any money, because she doesn't want to get a "real" job (hippie flower child, anti-establishment), but my son is talking big about being a physicist or some such and making discoveries and getting a Nobel Prize someday. We shall see.