Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I've tried before, but this time is different- because i want help

Notices

Old 09-21-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, my name is Nick and i have been a severe alcoholic for 4 years. I have been drinking for at least 10 years (if not more). I am 24 years old. i have 3 DUI'S and im currently dealing with the third (its a nightmare). I've made several attempts to quit drinking, but have never asked for help until recently. This is part of the reason i joined today because i need help and advice from people who share the same disease. my last drink was the afternoon of yesterday, as i was trying to taper off. Today i am finally feeling somewhat better, but im afraid the depression and anxiety will soon follow.

There are a million more things i could say about my drinking, but id like to just start there. Any advice for me? any suggestions for overcoming withdrawls?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nick!!

Having a plan with plenty of support built into that plan is important, for me as the days went on I would convince myself things weren't too bad, this time it would be different, I can control my drinking, and if I was isolated, there was only going to be one outcome.

Instead I needed something outside of myself to keep me focused on the task at hand, short circuit my own addiction.

Log into SR each day, join a daily thread, read threads, have a look around, remain active, alternatively people attend meetings, but don't isolate yourself, and don't be alone, alcohol is just waiting to convince and sell you once again all the great reasons as to why drinking would be a good idea, don't let it.

I once had the penny drop when the question was posed, why would SR or AA be needed if this could be cracked on our own? if the switch was so easy to simply turn off? . . . that person was onto something!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nick,

I am newly dry..again. I have relapsed so many times and have been an alcoholic for 30 years. I have found the best way to get through the physical crap of quitting booze is to rest, drink tons of water, eat healthy food, and keep your mind occupied. Movies, video games, long showers, exercising...anything. These feelings will pass, and you will get stronger! Tell that old friend (booze), you are done!!

Be well!!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nick

some good advice here already...if you're concerned about withdrawals seeing a Dr is always best...but I think some level of discomfort is inevitable really.

Keep hydrated, make sure you eat well and hopefully you'll feel better in a few days
D
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow, first day here and allready so many positive responses. thank you all! ill provide an update tomorrow and perhaps add a little more to my story..
Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can't 'overcome' withdrawals, but you can ride it out and start feeling better in a few days. If you have troubling symptoms, see your doctor for help. Withdrawal can be dangerous so be safe.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi readytochange - it's great to have you join us. It really helps to talk this over with those who understand. I drank 30 yrs. - I'm glad you'll never have to say that.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by readytochange92 View Post
but this time is different- because i want help
if thats true then you will desperately reach for the solution like a drowning man grabs a life preserver

i see milwaukee has >150 meetings/ week - more in nearby communities

Alcoholics Anonymous Milwaukee - Home

helped me

God bless

Old 09-21-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Nick. We're glad you're here.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well everyone, its day 4 of sobriety and my body feels 100% better than what it did on the 20th. ive been working every day and haven't had any major cravings until today. trying to keep my mind right. i keep telling myself i never want to feel as hungover/withdrawn as i did. i think working is playing a major role in my sobriety (since i have been). as far as meetings go , part of my 3rd owi offense agreement is going to two meetings per week. i will also be required to have a mobile breathalizer that i carry around with me at all times that will go off every few hours. along with an ankle bracelet and only being allowed to leave for 12 hours a day. That part is what is stressing me out the most. I will most likely lose my job because of this and thinking about this is a major trigger for me
Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Nick!
Old 09-24-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meetings will help - it might be a good opportunity to get a sponsor too and do the whole programme?

I hope you'll accept and get used to the various things you have to wear or do.

Getting stressed about them and considering drinking again will only make the consequences worse if there was a next time, Nick?

D
Old 09-25-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!