Notices

Relapse Dream

Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Dream

I don’t need more medication to help me sleep. My blood pressure pills do a good job of that. I drifted off this morning and found myself sitting at a bar, just like the old days. And, like when I was in Madrid, I said to the bartender, I’ll have a sherry, Harvey’s ******* Cream. As I sipped I said to myself, or heard something within say, “See! Nothing happened! That old notion that one drink can start the whole process off again, the long (or with time, the short) slide down the gentle (steep?) slippery slope, a myth! You can stop any time. You won’t go riding off into the sunset and end up with a DUI.
In those days, long ago, I hadn’t heard about the AV. I wasn’t going to AA meetings because I lived in a small, country community and I feared that, if I attended. word would get about somehow. But even without attendance word still gets around. Someone sees you alone at a bar, sipping that one drink, “only one”, the one that shows you’re O.K., that you can stop any time.
And if you’re wrong, as you always are, it’s only a “slip”, not a “relapse”. You can stop any time. Tomorrow. You can (will?) stop tomorrow!
I woke up. It was noon. The sun was out. Time for lunch.

W.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard somewhere that relapse dreams are a good sign in recovery. I'm not quite sure that I understand how they are though, and if anybody knows then I'd like to hear how they are.

Thanks for posting,

Bruno.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you gave the ol' AV the 'Bronx Cheer', Bill

They were a pretty neutral thing for me Bruno - neither good or bad.
I figured as long as I stayed sober when I was awake I was doing ok

Like I say here often, I've often had high school dreams, but I don't want to go back there

D
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you gave the ol' AV the 'Bronx Cheer', Bill

They were a pretty neutral thing for me Bruno - neither good or bad.
I figured as long as I stayed sober when I was awake I was doing ok

Like I say here often, I've often had high school dreams, but I don't want to go back there

D
I didn't give it the Bronx Cheer Dee. Just a little surprise at its having showed itself in a dream and choosing sherry rather than something stronger, like brandy. Usually my dreams are not about being a student in school but in teaching students, losing my notes, books, way to the classroom, being late, etc. My AV sometimes surfaces in conscious hours not as alcoholic cravings (I really don't have any) but in frustrations over trivial matters, petulant overreactions, etc. The dog helps me simmer down and his AV leaves him alone if he gets his dog bowl on time.
Thanks again.

Bill
Old 09-20-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you. I had my first drunk dream in years last week. I've been sober five years eight months, and there it was from nowhere.
In it, I was slipping a bottle of whiskey into my pants while holding a bouquet of flowers.
A dream interpreter could have a field day with that.
It still scared the s^^^ out of me. I actually feared for my sobriety for a few days.
That's why I still come here. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.