Notices

Secret Drinkers

Old 09-20-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Wow - the lengths we went to hide our consumption. I don't know if we were clever or just stupid, but it sure speaks volumes about how insidious addiction is.

I didn't have a private source of income and here in Canada, we cannot buy alcohol in the grocery store so hiding the purchase in the grocery shopping was not an option. I ended up getting my own credit card (so that I could build a line of credit) and was able to purchase extra. One time I had a discrepancy on my bill and my ex wanted to see my bill. I freaked of course, because I did not want him to see that some of the purchases were from the liquor store. He must have wondered why I was acting so weird.

I would also return the empties to the recycle place and use that money for another bottle. I did some pet sitting on the side and was paid in cash, so I had that too. It all went to wine. What a waste.

Now that I am separated and living on my own, I could drink with wild abandon. I am so glad I stepped off that crazy train.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Oh yep. Coffee mug and aluminum water bottle. Filled with iced tea vodka coolers. At work. In the car. Around other people. Oh the madness. And yes, dashing into the closet to chug a whole drink. I even went so far as to buy a set of two sun-tan lotion bottles that are meant to fill with liquor as a gag. But I used them. Often. Especially travelling. Straight up vodka. And, "oh wait, I forgot something in my van" (who's looking, where are the cameras? etc chug chug)
Uh- aluminum water bottle. I had forgotten I'd done that, and it brought back horrible memories of chugging red wine.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, vodka shooter bottles in pockets, hidden all over the house. Richard Burton drank on set. He had booze in a thermos. Touting it off as tea. He said he would even blow on it to cool it down to complete the fascade
Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was sort of a secret drinker. I had set times that were dedicated to drinking, and I didn't hide it. But at my worst, I had bottles hidden and I'd pour it into my diet coke. I shutter when I think about it. Threw away a few good years of my life.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butcher70 View Post
I would buy Na beer and remove contents and refill and cap them with high octane beer. Do not miss that mess one bit.
That's brilliant! (In a bad way, of course, lol....)

I was literally a closet drinker. Had wine bottles in my closet. I tried to hide wine in plastic cups rather than put it in a wine glass (see, it's lemonade!), would hide cups/glasses behind my jewelry box....ugh, so glad I don't have to do that anymore. Many times I'd forget where I put a glass and it would be half full...inevitably, my husband would find it the next day and place it somewhere very prominent.