Notices

Please Help Me

Old 09-18-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Help Me

I haven't posted in a long time. I tried to stop drinking about 4 yrs ago and have had quite a lot of sober time, punctuated by a day or two of slips here and there. At the moment, I am extremely worried about my health and am worried that my digestive issues are alcohol related. My last bloods were good, but I'm worried sick now. I am panicking that it's too late for me. I cannot take a breath from panic; I know I could not go on living if I were to find out I've done the worse thing possible to myself. I cannot even bring myself to type out the word. The shame and embarrassment are so horrific. I'd rather die than face the horror.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try some belly breathing for the panic

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

I take it your not drinking now but worried about what past drinking has done ?

Do your best to remain calm were here for you it's going to be ok your blood tests indicate that

When was the last time you saw a Dr bud
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

What does the doctor say? Breathe. It's ok.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Control the things you can control.
See a professional for health.

Well done on coming back to the forum.
Stay around.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not drinking. My last liver panel was ten months ago and it was good. I am panicking about all the years of abuse and terrified that it has caught up to me. I will see the doc this week, he is not aware of my drinking problem. I am so ashamed, crying, unable to move.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your last labs were good? THAT FANTASTIC!
Panic has been my arch nemisis for my whole life (that I recall) Belly breathing is awesome. Just know that panic attacks pass. Sleep if you can. Post here, even if no one says anything back. Stop the brain cycling negative. You're ok, you are going to be OK!!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The panic has been full blown now for days. It is horrific.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Glad you're here.
I struggle with anxiety a lot, so I understand where you're coming from. I've noticed a lot of the things I have anxiety and/or panic attacks are from fears that have not come true. And you know, a lot of those things I fear, I cannot control... so why stress and worry over it. Easier said than done for sure.
But I do agree with seeing your doctor about it. Not advocating for any meds or whatever, just saying that some have greatly helped me in that department. Didn't fix the problem (I have to work on that myself), but definitely helped take off the edge.
I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist, so there's not much of anything I could say that would be helpful... just wanted you to know that you're so not alone. Hang in there.

* Also just wanted to add that if the panic attacks get too terrible, I would consider going to the ER if you don't think you can wait till your doctor's appointment.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for answering. I'm hanging on moment by moment. My husband is so worried.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What kind of digestive problems are you talking about? If you're like me, your stomach hurts because you're anxious, so you get more anxious...vicious circle.

If your labs were good not so long ago and you haven't been drinking for going on four years,, you know logically whatever is bothering you is very unlikely to be drinking-related, right?

Get into the doc as soon as you can so you'll know for sure. Lots of us develop various food intolerances as we get older...I can no longer eat onions, garlic, deep-fried anything, orange juice...a very long list!

Breathe.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't been completely sober, unfortunately. I've slipped a few times. I've had the runs for a while and it's got me completely petrified. I'm due for my physical now. I'm terrified because I haven't been completely sober.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your panic is based on a THOUGHT. It's panic about an unconfirmed speculation. It's not based on a diagnosis by a medical professional.

I recently had severe symptoms that I was sure indicated a very serious (life threatening) condition. Tests showed it to be nothing serious. Chances are it will be the same with you.

Save your energy for dealing with what is known, not for what might be.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's not unusual to have panicky feelings in your situation. I went through something similar when I stopped drinking. The fact is, you are doing what you can do now and stopping drinking is the best thing I'm glad you're going to the dr and I hope that you get good news.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Your panic is based on a THOUGHT. It's panic about an unconfirmed speculation. It's not based on a diagnosis by a medical professional.

I recently had severe symptoms that I was sure indicated a very serious (life threatening) condition. Tests showed it to be nothing serious. Chances are it will be the same with you.

Save your energy for dealing with what is known, not for what might be.
THIS. Thank you for putting into words the message that I was trying to convey lol
Old 09-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Could be all kinds of things...lactose intolerance, too much coffee, Irritable bowel syndrome, antibiotic side effects, hormonal changes...on and on, almost all totally addressable. Stress will make it worse, for sure...

Get thee to your doctor and find out. I certainly understand awfulizing, I could be on the Olympic Awfulizing Team myself, but getting the facts is the only sure way out, right?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would agree. Anxiety and stress play a number on your digestive tract. I know from experience as I have the same thing going on at times when I am over anxious or stressed.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Precious, I'm glad you posted about what you're going through. I was convinced I had shortened my life due to my long term drinking, but it wasn't so. You're going to the dr this week - I hope you'll feel relief after your visit. (Don't forget to be very open with your dr about your drinking habits.) I hope it helps relieve your anxiety to be here - we care about you.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kindness in replying to me. I wish I knew how to handle this crushing shame I feel. I'm not a young person anymore and this stress is so hard on me. I feel like such a fool.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Try some breathing exercises to help calm you. Or go for a walk to put your mind on something else. Worrying sometimes makes it worse.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

No need whatsoever for apologies. We've all been there (or will be). If you're feeling like a fool then I'll take that to mean you're far less panicked now than you were an hour ago. That's a good thing.

All the best to you.