Notices

Introducing Myself

Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing Myself

Hello,

I have to be honest and say that the thought that my 24 year old daughter might be addicted to heroin scares the hell out of me.

I am married to a sober alcoholic who has no program. I'm also the daughter of an alcoholic. I've been around the alanon program for years but consider myself more of a dropout.

With all due respect to others- I find it much more difficult (in my case) to think my daughter might have a problem with heroin. It terrifies me. This is my baby.

There have been other things - but the most recent is a syringe was found in her room. She claims this is "old", from when she lived w/ her boyfriend. Well, that was only a couple months ago.

She has also made it very clear she doesn't want me to bring it up because she now stays away from everything and for me to bring it up- hurts her mental health.

I told her I could not promise that- as she does not know how this is affecting me and how can I help her if she hides things from me?

She said she was not going to share something that was in the past.
Makes no sense to me and I am afraid she is lying.

The thought that she has shot up heroin terrifies and sickens me and I feel dead inside.

Principals I learned years ago in alanon don't seem to be helping me when it comes to my daughter and heroin. Sorry, but I am merely telling the truth. And denial runs so much deeper.

She has recently been arrested "where heroin was sold" and now this syringe.

Does injecting heroin have to mean they are an addict?

There are things the mind knows to be true but the heart refuses to believe
Old 09-17-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Loreal

I'm so sorry for what brings you here, but this is a great place for support.

I don;t know anything about heroin and about as little on injecting stuff but I share your concern for your daughter - I can empathise with your fear and see how the signs don't look good that all this is some mistake or some aberration.

I'm not a parent but I know you'll hear from a lot of parents here, many of whom have been in the same or similar circumstances.

I also recommend you check out our Family and Friends section as well for even more support and shared experience...the link below will take you right there

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com
D
Old 09-17-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Loreal , welcome to the forum .
As a parent of a recovered heroin user I fully understand what your going through .
This was not a nice journey for us but he did eventually give the addiction to heroin up not by any specific means , he was fed up being jailed I guess .
My thoughts and prayers are with you .
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Loreal
Old 09-18-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Loreal65 View Post

Hello,

I have to be honest and say that the thought that my 24 year old daughter might be addicted to heroin scares the hell out of me.

I am married to a sober alcoholic who has no program. I'm also the daughter of an alcoholic. I've been around the alanon program for years but consider myself more of a dropout.

With all due respect to others- I find it much more difficult (in my case) to think my daughter might have a problem with heroin. It terrifies me. This is my baby.

There have been other things - but the most recent is a syringe was found in her room. She claims this is "old", from when she lived w/ her boyfriend. Well, that was only a couple months ago.

She has also made it very clear she doesn't want me to bring it up because she now stays away from everything and for me to bring it up- hurts her mental health.

I told her I could not promise that- as she does not know how this is affecting me and how can I help her if she hides things from me?

She said she was not going to share something that was in the past.
Makes no sense to me and I am afraid she is lying.

The thought that she has shot up heroin terrifies and sickens me and I feel dead inside.

Principals I learned years ago in alanon don't seem to be helping me when it comes to my daughter and heroin. Sorry, but I am merely telling the truth. And denial runs so much deeper.

She has recently been arrested "where heroin was sold" and now this syringe.

Does injecting heroin have to mean they are an addict?

There are things the mind knows to be true but the heart refuses to believe
Hi Mama, welcome. I feel your pain in your post and your fear. Pleaee forgive me if I sound blunt. Heroin addiction is a real issue with the young and you have every right to feel scared for your daughter. I met many heroin addicts in rehab (all millenials with barely any life experience). Most were repeat users, but there were some who only tried it a few times, became addicted and found themselves in detox. Common story there was that if you hang out with other heroin users, then more than likely you are going to do it. Your daughter was in a busted drug den? I am sorry to say that it is very likely she was using. Did they drug test her? People don't have syringes unless they are using them.

Any chance you can help her get in rehab? Not just detox (heroin addicts here in FL use detox to get the drug out of their system in 7 days and then go right back out). But rehab, 30 days or more.

Take care of yourself. You can't help her if you don't care for yourself.

Hugs.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi,

I doubt there is any hope in getting her help at this point.

She claims this is "old" and that she does not do anything at this point and also has the audacity to say she doesn't want me to bring this up again because it "hurts her mental health."

I told her I cannot promise her that.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

hi,

I doubt there is any hope in getting her help at this point.

She claims this is "old" and that she does not do anything at this point and also has the audacity to say she doesn't want me to bring this up again because it "hurts her mental health."

I told her I cannot promise her that.
Not talking about it with you makes it easier for her to use and not get in trouble with Mom.

Never doubt in someone's capability to bring themselves to get help. It might take rock bottom. It did with me. I denied help for years, I didn't have a problem, rehab was beneath me, I didn't need help because if I wanted to stop I could do it on my own. I finally got my behind to rehab when I discovered that even by not using, I was still an addict.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hello,

I have to be honest
thanks

one of my favorite parts of recovery

i dont hear much honesty in my daily life

Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Loreal!!