Notices

Drinking and diarrhea

Old 09-17-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and diarrhea

Is it just me, or are the two linked. I've had more stomach issues (my husband, as well) due to binge drinking. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was for me towards the end of my drinking, mainly coz I had more booze going in me than food.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had stomach problems--diarrhea mostly--towards the end of my drinking life. Almost as soon as I stopped drinking the problem resolved. I did some research and wasn't really able to find the connection between drinking and lower g.i. Issues, but it seems to me they were connected. No alcohol, no tummy trouble. Peace.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They certainly can be. I would talk to your dr about it. They can let you know what sort of problems you are having. Alcohol is NOT kind to the digestive system.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like someone else said I was mainly ingesting cigarettes and beer and that will manifest itself in an obvious way.

I'm confident you'll see improvement after quitting but if you're concerned do see your doctor.

D
Old 09-17-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body is talking to you.

Best to listen, stay sober and see a doctor.

Good luck, M-Bob
Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh God yes. Every single day. It was absolutely normal for me. It has to do with low levels of water absorption in the gut, is what I came to understand.

I. Do. Not. Miss. It.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I had to make a list of the top 3 things that made me quit, what it did to my digestive system would be in that top 3. Totally messed me up.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I had many stomach issues. After a couple of months of not drinking it's back to normal. Just like most other aspects of my life!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

You need to see your doctor. Diarrhea is symptomatic of a number of conditions related to drinking, including pancreatitis, cirrhosis and other liver problems, and bleeding varices, especially in the esophagus.

I can tell you with complete certainty that diarrhea is not symptomatic of sobriety.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very much linked for me.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I would take OTC medication for it every single day because I was binge drinking daily/nightly, and I didn't want to experience those symtoms at work. Probably wasn't the best for my body either.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes! Never went anywhere, without having to know where the nearest restroom was. Thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten about that x
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll give it to you straight. When I was drinking every day I had diarrhea every day. One, two, three, four times a day. Sometimes it would come on suddenly, sometimes very suddenly. There were many times when I was within seconds of crapping myself before I miraculously found a toilet. A few times I didn't. I got on the habit of eyeing the toilet for blood. This became normal for me. Sometimes my stool was clay colored which can mean liver damage, which I had.

Since I've stopped drinking my digestion is completely normal and predictable.

This is one of about 12 very real health problems I had while drinking. Others included acid reflux, teeth grinding at night, profuse sweating, bloodshot eyes, rosacea, alopecia (bald spots about the size of a quarter), high blood pressure, heart palpitations, and unsteady hands. And vertigo. The liver damage completely reversed itself. This was confirmed by blood work and a CT scan.

All of these went away when I stopped drinking.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Melinda, I also would grind my teeth really badly at night when I'd been drinking. It got so bad to where my top two teeth were almost jagged-like, and I had to go to the dentist to get it shaved down. Ugh.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I'll give it to you straight. When I was drinking every day I had diarrhea every day. One, two, three, four times a day. Sometimes it would come on suddenly, sometimes very suddenly. There were many times when I was within seconds of crapping myself before I miraculously found a toilet. A few times I didn't. I got on the habit of eyeing the toilet for blood. This became normal for me. Sometimes my stool was clay colored which can mean liver damage, which I had.

Since I've stopped drinking my digestion is completely normal and predictable.

This is one of about 12 very real health problems I had while drinking. Others included acid reflux, teeth grinding at night, profuse sweating, bloodshot eyes, rosacea, alopecia (bald spots about the size of a quarter), high blood pressure, heart palpitations, and unsteady hands. And vertigo. The liver damage completely reversed itself. This was confirmed by blood work and a CT scan.

All of these went away when I stopped drinking.
Outside of the alopecia, I could have written this myself verbatim. Quit drinking and your body can do remarkable things. My fatty liver, bloody stool, bright red face, profuse sweating, high blood pressure, it all went away with sober time.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's very common. The alcohol messes with your digestive track plus throw on top of that many eat crappy food at the end of the night which leads to exploding in the toilet all the next day.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Oh the stories I could write on this. I will spare you.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I had soooo many stomach problems I named my stomach "Igor."

Igor has had zero problems since my first year sober (going on towards 6 years now).

Amazing!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Absolutely. Especially if you drink on an empty stomach. For me, any carbonated beverage has the potential for causing it (energy drinks, soda, etc.), but with beer, I'm obviously drinking way, way more than I would with those other things. I have IBS, and alcohol is a huge trigger. Constantly in the bathroom either the night I'm drinking or the next morning. Don't think I've ever drank excessively at night and woke up to a good, solid BM. Just anecdotal, though. Sorry if TMI.