Notices

New to the Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TRG

New to the Forum

Been sober now almost 8 months (1/20/16) and just found this forum. Having my first "true test" of my sobriety this weekend, my entire family is out of town, I think they were gone about all of 5 minutes when I started to get the urge to buy beer.

I settled for a 6 pack of Diet Coke instead. I think I'll be alright but after months of things going mostly easily, I was caught offguard by the almost overwhelming urge to drink.

I think the fact I have a lot to do helped...I knew if I drank I'd wake up about 5 hours late, with a massive headache. The thought of that wasn't appealing!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

8 months.. sweet! Welcome. What did you do to get sober?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard TRG - tons of support here
D
Old 09-16-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! January 1st is my sobriety date, so we are at the same point. Play the tape through, you are right about that miserable headache, and you don't want to wake up tomorrow and be back at zero. We have a January of 2016 class, you should pop in and join us, great group of people who also got sober in January!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TRG

Thanks everyone!

Lightning Bug- I think what pushed me to stop this time was, my kids (my oldest is 18) finally confronted me after a drunken episode I had...just seeing the fear in their eyes and voices really hit me hard.

Before that...like many of us, I assumed I was doing a great job of hiding it...turned out I was fooling nobody.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, TRG!

I know what you're feeling -- I'm "home alone" myself, and though I have about 2.5 yrs w/out a drink, I'm having thoughts that I don't often have anymore.

Treat yourself well. Cook something yummy, or buy your favorite ice cream -- a pint of something exotic the kids would consume but not appreciate. And stick around here!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, TRG. I think being here will really help.

Congrats on your 8 months - that's wonderful. It's amazing how those thoughts will pop into our head out of nowhere. That's one reason I come here every day - it's a reminder of how we can easily fall back into our old ways. This won't happen to you. Welcome.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 8 months sober! You'll find the class of January in the Daily Support forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html

Post in the thread to be a member of that class. It helps to have the special support of the group.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello TrG
Old 09-17-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you TRG and congrats on 8 months - know that feeling too of thinking you're all ok and it's not a problem when it really is glaring at you.

Home alone has been a tough one to navigate for me on the couple of occasions I've had to deal with it this year, it was always a chance to drink myself stupid and do drugs for a whole weekend or longer without anyone telling me enough was enough - I look back at that now and pretty much scratching my head ?? It doesn't however change the thought process when the time arose - first time was especially difficult second time not so bad - true that as long as we don't act on those thoughts and repeat what was always the thing we used to do that we get stronger the next time.

Keep active / eat lots of food that you really want (good or bad - that's your choice this weekend) - watch what you want on the TV / do whatever you've been doing for the last 8 months too as it's clearly working.

Look forward to seeing you around and keep checking in here over the weekend especially - try the weekenders thread too.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 09-18-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TRG!!