Notices

Extreme frustration

Old 09-16-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme frustration

So I'm 23 days sober. I became sober because I got fired from a bartending job for being drunk. That led me to get help. I am staying with family right now because I declined pursuing another job in that industry, and decided to find a new career and go to AA every day to steer away from that life. So far I am accomplishing everything I set out to do. I'm 32.

My mom and stepdad like to have dinner together every night. This evening some friends wanted me to hang out. These are friends, not drinking buddies, who understand and support my situation. I asked my mom if she had a problem with me not being there for dinner in lieu of hanging out with them. My mom stated she wants me to stay home. I find that extremely frustrating, but politely honored her wishes. Then my stepdad comes home and explains that my friends must not be normal for not having dinner with their families. Mind you I didn't argue with my mom or anything of the sort, and my frustration grew that my stepdad felt I needed a lecture about this.

I feel frustrated and resentful about this. People in this household don't take into consideration that I CHOSE to do these things, and am feeling no urges to drink. Yes my friends drink, but they always ask if I am ok with it. Mind you my stepdad drinks beer in front of me and it produces no triggers for me. I can do whatever I want to do and am choosing to stay and be respectful. In responding, please spare the "they just care about you" response, I know that. I simply want to know if anyone else has experienced this and what there feelings about it were.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome! I'm confused. Did you just not want to have dinner with your parents and their friends? When I first read this I thought you didn't want to be around them while they are drinking. But then you said it didn't bother you with your friends or when Stepdad had a beer. Clarifying that will help me respond.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Joey, great job on 23 Days!!

However it's early days, it took a long time to convince those around me that my Sobreity was a long term commitment, that this was it, and not just a short term promise leading to another relapse.

Family members do care, and sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but they do, whether you're 32, 52 or 12 years old, your mom cares and you're her little boy regardless of age.

Give it time, we don't need to be taking over the world straight away, there's plenty of time for rebuilding your new Sober life, it's not such a bad thing that your mom wants to spend time with you and be protective of you, trust me, they're not always going to be there!!

Don't take it too personal, they care about you!!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

This is what normal families do, this is what normal alcoholics do, this is what normal husbands (or wives) do... personally I bristle under this atmosphere.

And why must someone be telling me this unless they don't feel "normal" and are trying to prove it? You have the right to do what you want with your friends but since you are staying with your parents they have rights to expect certain things. It doesn't make them right or even "normal" , just they are within their rights.

Once I recognized played out my emotions on my feelings I let it into my body with a sharp, deep breath, hold it, and then while visualizing the upset I let it go with a deep exhale. Otherwise I just hold onto it and let it eat me alive. That's not a place I liked when I was drinking and now that I'm so ber it doesn't have room in my head.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey

why not go out with your friends after dinner?

D
Old 09-16-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Um... You're 32. I would politely remind your parents that you can make your own dinner choices. But whatever you decide, make peace with your choice as the right one. Resentment is a toxic emotion. Maybe try to talk it out with your parents.

Congrats on 23 days sober!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Joey

why not go out with your friends after dinner?

D
They wanted to go golfing, they'll be done after I eat.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK.
As I get older, the more I understand 'my roof my rules' and that there's no statute of limitations on that for parents

If this chafes with you (as it chafed with me as I moved back home as a 30 year old) it's also a great impetus to get out there find a new job and getting your own place
Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Um... You're 32. I would politely remind your parents that you can make your own dinner choices. But whatever you decide, make peace with your choice as the right one. Resentment is a toxic emotion. Maybe try to talk it out with your parents.

Congrats on 23 days sober!
That's what I'm saying, but at the same time I'm trying to be respectful to my mom. We eat dinner every night together and missing one dinner so I can see people I care about who know I'm in recovery shouldn't be such an ordeal. I'm going to be moving back out in a month, I feel like ultimately she needs to realize the choices I make will be mine. I don't know my mind is all over the place right now
Old 09-16-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
OK.
As I get older, the more I understand 'my roof my rules' and that there's no statute of limitations on that for parents

If this chafes with you (as it chafed with me as I moved back home as a 30 year old) it's also a great impetus to get out there find a new job and getting your own place
I'm moving back in with my roommates soon as I did find a new job.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're moving out

D
Old 09-16-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

is it a rule that you hacve to have dinner with them in their house?

im glad to read you want to be respectful of your mother.
can you have a conversation with her about how youre feeling?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
is it a rule that you hacve to have dinner with them in their house?

im glad to read you want to be respectful of your mother.
can you have a conversation with her about how youre feeling?
I'm going to. Right now, however, I'm pissed off so it wont go well, and I think if she sees I'm being understanding and I'm patient about it, the conversation will go much better at a later time. That's a big step for me because normally I'd just blow up and do whatever I wanted.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
I'm going to. Right now, however, I'm pissed off so it wont go well, and I think if she sees I'm being understanding and I'm patient about it, the conversation will go much better at a later time. That's a big step for me because normally I'd just blow up and do whatever I wanted.
nnnooo. not good when upset.
in the meantime how about pickin up the big book and start reading somewhere about pg64?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
Now that is a positive change and big step
Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

You're getting great advice here. Don't dwell in this problem, which compared with alcoholism and all its consequences, is really just a little blip. Dwell in the solution and show respect for your parents, even when you don't understand their reasoning.

I love the idea that you read something that supports your sobriety -- also, maybe post to someone here who's struggling more than you are?

And put in a few job applications!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Many family members think that if they can keep tabs on you, if they can see you and know what you're doing 24/7, they have the power to stop you from drinking/using. Of course, that's not the case, and you are a 32 year-old man who has stepped back into the parent/child relationship by virtue of living with your mom. The sooner you get your own place, the better. Your mom is probably just scared that you'll start drinking again. Her fear is real and valid, but it's ultimately your life and your decisions. I don't really understand why she is so threatened if you're not there for dinner. My kids are in college, and even when they come home I don't expect them to be around every night for dinner.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know but it all sunk me into a bad depression
Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
p***enger

Please remember the basics, Joey. If you let this small conflict turn your head around, you're not making sobriety your number one priority.

Have you called your sponsor or someone else in AA?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 23