Notices

Starting to spin out

Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to spin out

hi all... I was doing well for a month sober, was using anxiety meds to cope with everything and they were helping a lot! I felt great! when I ran out and couldn't get a refill for ten days... that's when things started to spin out. I now have my prescription back, but don't feel the same. I keep having slip ups every few days and it's making me feel like a complete loser. my husband is making me feel even worse over. I feel he's basically at the point of giving up on me and I can barely blame him at this point. even told me the last time that if I was content to kill myself with booze, he wasn't going to stop me anymore.

wondering how I did so well the first month and have since ruined all the amazing progress I made, with little hope in sight. maybe I need more help than I realized, but rehab seems incredibly extreme and I also doubt I could even take the time off work.

sorry to vent all these frustrations, I'm just incredibly disappointed in myself.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

i too had trouble staying sober

in recovery we dont offer advice just experience

my experience is that i needed a plan

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

has worked for me

God bless

Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By slip ups do you mean drinking on your anxiety meds?

Sorry I do not mean to sound rude when asking that. If so though it can be super dangerous.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One thought...It's tough to get sober while you still have a marriage, home, and job...and it's infinitely harder without health, loving relationships and an income. It's great that you had a month without drinking! You did good, and you can do it again! Maybe try playing through to yourself the pros and cons of continuing alcoholism. There are plenty of reasons to stay sober today, and the cons are overwhelmingly negative. Fridays can be particularly hard, so, if you like, stick with SR this weekend and join in the conversations.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you mind if I ask you what you're taking for anxiety?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that drinking will diminish the effectiveness of anti-anxiety medication. That could be part of the problem.

Are you buying alcohol or do you have it in the house? If so, perhaps you could get rid of it. Change your daily routine. Exercise helps anxiety a lot, so get outside and walk and it will help to lift your spirits. You can do this.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Are you taking a benzo? Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan? Mixing alcohol and benzos can kill. Please don't do it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Trust me on this simple fact if you stay sober & stick it out knowing you have our full support your life will get better that I can promise you
Old 09-16-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now sounds like a great time for an AA meeting.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alyssa

what kind of recovery plan do you have?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Alyssa,
i know its been a long time since you posted this. Perhaps things are allot better now? If not I'd like to put in my two sense if you don't mind. I'm new here and just starting out myself. But reading your frustration I know exactly what you mean. What I have found to help with my feeling of being alone and no support ect from my other half is this. I had to make it a determination for myself. I'm doing this for myself! Not for my significant other or anyone else. My support would come from those I can trust ect. Those who understand what we are going threw. Some have mentioned a 'plan' and this would be a part of that plan. If my significant other doesn't support me then as hard as it is and feels, Ounce I have control and am in better recovery and a better person. Hopefully they can share in that new you. If not then thats there loss and someone will appreciate you. But thats waaaay down the future hopefully. Point is you have to do because 'you' want to!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once you slip, it's difficult to overcome the cravings that come back. Keep being willing and don't give up.