Notices

It will never be the "right" time

Old 09-15-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It will never be the "right" time

As an addict we can ALWAYS convince ourselves that it isn't the "right" time to get sober. We tell ourselves that things are going to stressful right now, that we have too much going on, that it is summer and you want to enjoy yourself, that it is the holidays and you don't have time. Until YOU decide that you want sobriety more than ANYTHING else then the days will turn weeks which will turn to months and then it will turn into years. The only way you will create a strong and lasting recovery is when you take control of your life, deal with life on life's turns and put in the work.

I know you might be saying to yourself "But my situation is different" or "but my life is too hectic and she doesn't know how thin I am already stretched". It IS possible to deal with life on life's turns.

For example- I did law school, I decided instead want to do Substance abuse counseling so I am doing an accelerated degree that has almost 300 field work hours for it, my mom has breast cancer so I have to drive her to chemo, clean the house, do all the cooking, give her her medicine, take care of the dogs, do all the cleaning, plus a very close family member is getting back surgery so have to help him, oh and on top of that I make sure to work on my recovery every single day. I am not saying this to "show off" I am saying this to show that once you decide you are truly dedicated to turning your life around and creating a strong recovery no matter what is going on in your life. In fact, it is easier to deal with life while being sober because I don't need to worry about waking up sick, trying to find drugs, trying to some how get money, etc. etc. Drugs do not make dealing with life "easier" they make it hell.

You should give yourself a lot more credit, you are capable of getting sober if you just commit to it.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It might never be the right time, but there is a best time, and that is right now. Congratulations to you. Best of luck with your challenges ahead, far better to tackle them sober as you are doing.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow this is pretty much what I've been thinking myself today. Thanks and well done for you're inspiring tale. From a Day 2 girl I can't envisage being so unbelievably proactive. But like you said-it requires work and change.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like what Anna says as I have seen it so much that everyone is right where thier meant to be

Thanks AR
Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Adeline that is so awesome you should be very proud of yourself!

I also want to get into addictions counselling. The degree program here requires 2 years of complete abstinence from all substances including nicotine and they do rigorous screening. So I got some work to do before I am eligible for the program But it's on my long term plan. No one else can help an addict like another addict.

By the way, I love the strength and determination that comes out so clearly in your posts. You offer a lot of valuable insights. You're an amazing person. Glad you are here!
Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree AR - I procrastinated for many years because the time was never right. Caused myself so much pain & increased my stress and anxiety. As you said, it never makes things easier - as we once believed.

Thanks for a helpful post.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When i was in active alcoholism tomorrow was always the right day because tomorrow never comes as it's always today
Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree totally - and thanks. Ultimately drinking IS the stress, not the relief from it. Good sleep, hydration and clean living gives you super powers!