Notices

Feeling Sad and Alone and Can't Sleep

Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Sad and Alone and Can't Sleep

Its nearly midnight here in Aussie and despite having sleeping tablets, I still can't sleep. I'm getting used to the cravings now and just ride them out and find that they leave again. I having a lot of anxiety with just breaking up with my ex and its like a double whammy. I'm finding it easier getting through it sober now because I can think through things rationally. My ex seems to have gone back to his ex of 2 years ago. I've had this problem before with breakups not being able to sleep but I always used alcohol as a last resort. I guess I'm asking the question Is this a dumb time to be trying to give up?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Please don't give up. Ride the insomnia out, don't resort to alcohol to sleep. If you want to be sober you know you can't do that. Do you have alcohol in your home?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi S, no not a dumb time. You have a lot going on and it's so overwhelming what you are going through. Booze makes the depression, anxiety and bad feelings worse. You will feel worse not better if you drink. You've had a nasty shock and need to take care of your mind and heart.
Get some self care time under your belt and you will feel better really really soon.
In the meantime, how clean are your cupboards?
Best and hugs xxxxx
Old 09-15-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lightning Bug View Post
Please don't give up. Ride the insomnia out, don't resort to alcohol to sleep. If you want to be sober you know you can't do that. Do you have alcohol in your home?
Thanks for the encouragement. No, I never keep alcohol in the house or I end up drinking it. I suppose I'll get tired eventually.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Don't give up. The anxiety will get better and you will be able to sleep again. Most of us have gone through that, the secret is hanging in there and waiting for it to pass, even though it's difficult.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

insomnia and anxiety are pretty normal in early sobriety, but they do pass.

Herbal tea, hot showers, a good book and journaling really helped me get through that time.

Symptoms will fade--stay strong--you can do it
Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We wish to never go back -- look ahead only

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post

I've had this problem before with breakups not being able to sleep but I always used alcohol as a last resort. I guess I'm asking the question Is this a dumb time to be trying to give up?
Well, most of us have been to the end of the relationship time when all looks to be very sad and any happiness to be found so far away. I would consider this to be the most excellent time in which to stay sober. If you succeed you will come through all of this and be very strong in your sobriety.

I have found that evey hard event of life that is thrown at me that I don't escape my feelings and thoughts with a drink or two (or many) strengthens me so much in my sobriety. No matter what happens in my life today God -- I will never take a drink. Then (we) thank God for those (good) moral thoughts.

Please lead me in the right direction -- for I got so tired of the other road.

MB
Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you manage to fall asleep and get some rest.

You're doing great!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

When I get insomnia I usually try to read to make my eyes tired x
Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was so nice to get all those messages and I got through the night and eventually got some sleep. I'll definitely try reading to keep my thoughts at bay. It was such a relief to wake up and still be sober.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, the insomnia was rough. Lots of time to think. Just remember a rough night of sober sleep is still better than pass out sleep. Keep going forward.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got some sleep, sweetichick .

The thing with alcohol is we never sleep so much as pass out..
remember waking with a jolt at 3.30am...? used to happen to me all the time.

I'm not sure when your last drink was, but insomnia is one of the hallmarks of withdrawal, for a while anyway...just gotta get through it.

I hope your sleep improves soon

These are good common sense tips for insomnia.
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices
D
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. It was so nice to get all those messages and I got through the night and eventually got some sleep. I'll definitely try reading to keep my thoughts at bay. It was such a relief to wake up and still be sober.
I woke at 4 am and came here and just started writing and reading. It's kinda nice there are people up and about in other lands rooting for you in a way when everyone around you is asleep.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there, no, it's not a bad time to quit! I became sober after my husband filed for divorce, and am going through that right now. Drinking ultimately just makes you feel worse.

As everyone said, insomnia is very common in early sobriety. It'll get better. You are still getting rest, even if you're not sleeping. I like listening to some of the guided meditations on youtube. When I was in rehab, they gave us Extra Strength Sleepytime herbal tea. Another option is kava tea (just don't make it very hot or it'll destroy the relaxing properties of kava.)

Even if you're tired, you should be proud of yourself!!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The insomnia totally sucks but it DOES pass - hang in there! You are changing your life!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dealing w.....frustration...sadness....heartbreak etc........ now sober....is what is going on w us.

I am so mad at my boss right now. 3 people have quit.....a very good paying job.....in the last month.... because the boss is being so difficult. These quittings have a stressful effect causing anger, frustration etc....inability to sleep....

But...we are clean. That is our huge huge win. It really is our main concern. Booze was ruining us to the core.

My mind is not used to being clean. These emotions are pure and unfiltered by drugs.

It is how we were intended to deal w stress. The booze altered us. Our previous reactions were under the influence.

Revel in your sobriety. It is amazing.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just a reminder: electronic devices, such as pads and laptops, give off light that can cause sleep issues. If you want to read to get sleepy, read printed items.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Insomnia and anxiety are common symptoms in early sobriety. It was just over two weeks after I stopped drinking that I could sleep without over the counter help. You sound sad. Go ahead and feel your feelings. It may not seem like it now, but you have given yourself a great gift: the ability to feel authentic emotions without the mind numbing effects of alcohol. Peace.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going sweetichick?
D
Old 09-16-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hang in there sweetchick it does get better.