Notices

Detox Withdrawal

Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox Withdrawal

How prevalent are the worst aspects of detox? Is it possible to detox safely while trying to go to work? My drinking has gotten pretty bad in the last year. I now drink in the morning just to be able to deal with anxiety. I really, really, really want to stop drinking (I drink the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine a day, and sometimes more). But I need to be able to function. Inpatient detox is not an option for me right now, for at least several weeks.

I have been "cutting back" and that wreaks havoc. Going cold turkey has me quite worried--- oh the vicious cycle of alcoholism.

Btw, I am very new to his site and it has been extremely inspiring and insightful. I know I can get this goddamn monkey off my back. I will.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. Detox can always be dangerous. I would call your dr and talk to them about your worries.

I could not work during that time due to anxiety and panic. I know it's scary but you can do this and never go through this again.

My very best wishes as always to you tonight.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and yes, cutting back is not a possibility for alcoholics, not in the long run. It's always best to talk to your dr about detoxing because it can be unpredictable and dangerous. I'm glad you posted.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first experience with detox was a medically supervised at home detox. My employer let me work from home for a few days. I just told them that I was experiencing severe anxiety/panic attacks and my doctor had put me on medicine to control it, but asked me not to drive while on it, which was all true. They didn't ask why I was having anxiety, nor did I offer up an explanation.

Would getting help from your doctor and then working from home 2-3 days to get through the worst of it be a possibility for you?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome.

First off..if you need to see a Dr....do it...no medical advice here...

Now...If you really want to stop....stop. Stay hydrated, eat when you crave...Candy tricks your brain into thinking you are drinking...

I drank about a 2 liters a week...hard stuff. Mostly binged. 3 or 4 days..2 off...3 days...7 off....pretty much for about 15 to 20 years...it was fun for me until my body started to pickle or something...

The hangovers turned into withdrawals.

No stamina, slept like crap, dry eyes...on and on...all bad...

Quit...took about 14 days to get through the physical hell. Then the mental hell...took months...getting better now...but not perfect....but....

I am in great shape...clean...proud...free....free from the poisonous hype...

Becoming a strong oldish man...but....still deal w anxiety...but it has faded into more of an annoyance. When I first quit...it was like I was going to faint....or die...or just start convulsions at any time...it was horrible...

But....I never passed out...collapsed...nothing...it was all mental...

Alcohol fried my brain. I was brain damaged.... It was deep, deep in my central nervous system...

But...now I am better...nobody really ever knew I was freaking out sometimes.

If you want to quit...get ready for hell. But...once you are though it...you never have to go back...if you make it...if you are anything like me...you will never want to drink again...

This is the kind of help you can find here. This story, basically, was what I was told or read about...

The AA Big Book is filled w these stories.

Bottom line...it gets better every day...I started out 1 day at a time...now I am a never drink again...I hate booze. It is a govt. Sanctioned addictive drug. Don't believe the hype.

Helping others helps us. It gives us good feelings. Good feelings are something the alcohol hijacks. Our brains don't know how to be happy without alcohol.

Hence the relapse issues people have. You have to change your life up to find things you enjoy that don't involve alcohol.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. The crazy thing is I don't get smashed. I drink just enough to feel "normal,". I can quit drinking by 5 pm and be fine the rest of the evening. Then I wake up in a cold sweat panic stricken and heart racing. That is probably withdrawal. Correct?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by ERosey View Post
Thanks y'all. The crazy thing is I don't get smashed. I drink just enough to feel "normal,". I can quit drinking by 5 pm and be fine the rest of the evening. Then I wake up in a cold sweat panic stricken and heart racing. That is probably withdrawal. Correct?
Sounds like withdrawal to me. I remember the awful anxiety.

I strongly advise seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru the physical w/d. Detox can be dangerous. Be safe.

And after you are detoxed, you're going to need a good plan for staying sober. Read around here, lots of different ways to stay sober.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I heard a doctor describe it like this. Alcohol works much like anesthesia chemically and relaxes you but when it is wearing off it creates a physical restlessness and general anxiety. It certainly did for me. Heart palpitations, sweating, uneasiness. Horrible to live like that. Get a plan for when your detoxed so you can wake up sober and at ease each day one day at a time. Welcome.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh!! I want so bad to quit. And I know I need to go through detox. But I am in a situation where I cannot risk withdrawal while trying to work. I really hate drinking. I don't enjoy it anymore. But now I literally cannot stay sane -- at least through the early part of the day without it.

And I am afraid if I tried to just quit I could hurt myself without medical intervention. But I am so tired of being tired and sleepy in the middle of the day. I used to be a fitness competitor. Wonderful girlfriend (now wife), great career, great money, wonderful kids. But I freaking hate my life right now.'i can't enjoy it.!

I miss the days of waking up after a good night's sleep. Working out, and just enjoying life. Now I see danger everywhere. Depression. Anxiety.

I want alcohol out of my life. I really do. I just need to get through these next several weeks. And then I am going to detox. F thiS. I hate this life and I know it can be better
Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you say "I can't risk withdrawal while trying to work". I obviously don't know what you do - but can you risk doing your job drunk?
Your Dr. has heard this before, you aren't going to shock him (or her). They may be able to give you an Rx to help you get through the early stages.
You can get back to the high level of fitness you had and enjoy a goodnight sleep and be a great husband and Dad. Call your Dr. and start there. They can advise you on what you need to do and what you'll experience.
SR is a good place to lean on. Don't give up!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi ERosey, you got a lot of good advice on your last thread. I would seriously consider taking some time off work to address this with the help of your doctor. Medical issues happen all the time. You don't need to give specific details toyour employer as to why you need to take sick leave.

This thread might be of interest to you.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 09-14-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
I hear you say "I can't risk withdrawal while trying to work". I obviously don't know what you do - but can you risk doing your job drunk?
Your Dr. has heard this before, you aren't going to shock him (or her). They may be able to give you an Rx to help you get through the early stages.
You can get back to the high level of fitness you had and enjoy a goodnight sleep and be a great husband and Dad. Call your Dr. and start there. They can advise you on what you need to do and what you'll experience.
SR is a good place to lean on. Don't give up!
That's the thing, I don't get "drunk". I get enough to feel like I can focus and work. My problem is this. I think I have screwed up my brain chemistry so much that unless I have a drink or two, I get ADHD x 1000. But I will get with my doc soon. Thanks guys
Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(Gentle voice) You have messed up your brain more than just "ADHDx100" type symptoms. However, you can get well but you MUST stop drinking.

I can promise you that I was terrified of the stopping part. I was consuming a handle of vodka about every two days, from pretty much the time I got up til I passed out, except the hours I was at work (and I work in a restaurant so it was pretty easy to be on "auto pilot" in a lot of ways). When I finally quit, I did it largely at home, with visits to my liver dr, GP and psych. That was almost 7mo ago and yes, the beginning was difficult; my "beginning" was quite awhile compared to some people's. It WILL go by and you can get to a baseline of your health and any mental or physical issues. But you must get sober.

I think we understand very well the work-related fears and the issues around not working. However, this is your LIFE. Nothing else- truly, nothing- matters.

Perhaps a practical start is to "start" your detox on a weekend, under supervision? You can typically go to an ER/have your dr send you to the hospital to do this. Surely you have some vacation time to use - that doesn't require explaining why. And at this point, telling someone you're going on a trip would even be fine - because you would be.

Good luck. Hope to see you join us in recovery.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Withdraw is different for everyone. For some it's just minor symptoms, for others, it can be severe. You can go to your docs or even just a convenient care and let them know you are planning to detox and they will give you some meds for it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is just my opinion, but if you're drinking in the morning to feel normal, its getting pretty serious. I've been there (only twice while on benders), and thinking back on it, it's was sheer insanity. Its NOT normal to drink alcohol in the morning. But if we need it, its what we will do. I wish you the best, and again, its just my opinion.