Notices

Help me understand my alcohol problem...

Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you very helpful. This is day 2 for me and I am afraid of failure. I am also so ashamed that I have this problem. Your post helped.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
The desire to drink may possibly go away, but not necessarily, despite what anybody else may say about removing desire or there being a difference between not drinking and being sober. The desire has never gone away for me, and I don't believe that it ever will go away entirely.

The way I understand this thing, is that at a certain point, the illegitimate, artificial desire for chemically-enhanced feelings became mixed in with other, legitimate survival drives, such as hunger or thirst, and became a permanent part of my body. The only choice I have is to live with it, and I don't waste my time trying to remove it.

That's the price I have to pay for not following my original suspicion that anything that seems too good to be true (easy, synthetic pleasure on demand, without a price), probably is too good to be true, and for allowing myself to continue drinking for as long as I did. That said, this residual desire is a very small price to pay when compared to the price of active addiction.

Something to consider.
It's been almost 21 months since my last drink. I would say my desire to drink ended within months. If you are coming up on a year and still have strong cravings, then you definitely need to look into making some changes in your life.

The experience of others seems to indicate that even with many years of sobriety, relapses can cause those cravings and destructive patterns of drinking behavior to reassert themselves quickly and even get worse.

I find that disheartening. I like to think we can change our brain patterns and that we haven't done permanent damage. Perhaps I need to temper my expectations to steady progress, but probably never a complete reversal. I would never test it by trying moderate drinking.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Do you miss drinking? And do resent having to be sober?
An alternative way of looking at it is: Do you miss the consequences of your drinking? Do you resent the benefits of sobriety?

I didn't quit drinking to get sober; I quit to get my life back.

As someone who now lives in Wisconsin, I can also say that the drinking culture here is pervasive. Wisconsin claims some of the highest binge drinking rates in the nation. It has been a challenge to carve out a new normal in this state.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
I would get some one on one help but the problem is I don't have good health insurance. I'd have to pay for it out of pocket.
Hi Secret

If you had cancer and the only way to get the cure was to pay for it out of your pocket, wouldn't you do so? How much money did you spend on booze? My guess is that the savings would buy a few sessions??

One on one therapy was essential for me in my first year of sobriety. I know I wouldn't have made it through without it.

Please invest your resources in yourself. You're fighting a life-threatening disease that will do anything to kill you.

I wish you well in your struggle.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you made lifestyle choices that support your recovery? Have you picked up a hobby or began volunteer work or gotten involved in something that you love, in your spare time? You can fill your life with activities and people you love.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I had to rebuild my life, not just quit drinking.
Find stress-relievers and activities for physical and mental
growth and peace.

I also don't attend meetings, but I do meditate, do yoga, work out at a gym,
hike regularly, read books, do enrichment classes like art, music, and anthropology, play guitar.
I keep a journal and deal with feelings both there and by honestly sharing with the people involved,

I just generally engage with life much more than when
I withdrew into a bottle.
I still tend to isolate, but overall that is gradually improving.
I also cook healthy delicious food, and make herbal tea blends to drink
instead of alcohol, and I work to love and appreciate who I am now
and who I'm growing into. That took some doing as I grew up
with low self-esteem and I really hated how I acted drinking.

I realize the above is quite a long list, and I don't do all these things everyday,
but I did figure out that recovery and quitting are truly different things.
If I was doing it on my own, I had to really be proactive in changing how
I thought, felt, and acted which led to the drinking in the first place.

It is some work, but very rewarding.
I don't have cravings, and I don't dream of drinking anymore.
I have so much else in my life, I no longer miss them.

Congrats on your year SC
I think the quote from Hawkeye 13 kind of sums up my experience so far. I drank for years, until finally I figured out that I had to address the reasons for my drinking. It has not been easy. I still have times when I want to sit out back of my house and drink the day away. But I know now that is no solution, and the next day I will have a crushing hangover and feel terrible. I had many day ones. I would quit for days, weeks, months. But I always relapsed. I hope that addressing the underlying reasons for my drinking have put me on the right path. I am over 200 days now. It really requires, in my experience, a desire to quit and then a lifestyle change. Good luck, and know that others have been where you are.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Totally agree, you need to address the undying lying issues of why you drank, drug and alcohol counselling, a therapist, AA and the 12 step programme all can help.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Graced333, I just ordered this book after reading your post. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I had to rebuild my life, not just quit drinking.
Find stress-relievers and activities for physical and mental
growth and peace.

I also don't attend meetings, but I do meditate, do yoga, work out at a gym,
hike regularly, read books, do enrichment classes like art, music, and anthropology, play guitar.
I keep a journal and deal with feelings both there and by honestly sharing with the people involved,

I just generally engage with life much more than when
I withdrew into a bottle.
I still tend to isolate, but overall that is gradually improving.
I also cook healthy delicious food, and make herbal tea blends to drink
instead of alcohol, and I work to love and appreciate who I am now
and who I'm growing into. That took some doing as I grew up
with low self-esteem and I really hated how I acted drinking.

I realize the above is quite a long list, and I don't do all these things everyday,
but I did figure out that recovery and quitting are truly different things.
If I was doing it on my own, I had to really be proactive in changing how
I thought, felt, and acted which led to the drinking in the first place.

It is some work, but very rewarding.
I don't have cravings, and I don't dream of drinking anymore.
I have so much else in my life, I no longer miss them.

Congrats on your year SC
First, congratulations on one year, I cannot wait to hit that milestone!!

I agree with Hawkeye. I have 8 and a half months sober, but this time I have focused more on recovery, and lifestyle changes than not drinking. In the past I tried to quit several times and found myself cycling between brief periods of sobriety followed by failed attempts at moderation.

This year I focused on a healthy physical and mental lifestyle. I exercise, mainly hiking and yoga, plan out fun activities with my kids and with friends, read, and journal about things I am grateful for. I have lost 42 pounds since January, by focusing on eating healthy, and I am feeling better in all aspects of my life.

I still have to balance a very demanding job, and being a mom to three kids aged 9, 11, and 13, so the outlets above were important for me.

Maybe finding an activity, or learning a little more about mindfulness would help you flip your mindset. There are still many days that are stressful, but I have found healthier ways to deal with them. I also have set both short and long term goals for myself, so journaling helps me track my progress toward both.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA meetings were my thing either but no one ever said we were suppose to like doing the work of recovery. Meetings are only one piece of the puzzle. Getting a sponsor and working the steps is what relives us of the obsession and compulsion to drink
Old 09-17-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't understand why I still have a desire to drink everyday.
As long as I felt alcohol had some benefits to offer, I missed drinking. As long as I felt I was being deprived of something good, I continued to crave alcohol.

It wasn't until I drastically changed my perspective and realized alcohol had no tangible benefits that my cravings went away almost completely.

Allen Carr's book Stop Drinking Now helped me achieve that drastic change in perspective, perhaps it could help you too? Give it a read, the only thing you have to lose is a little cash and the time it takes to read it.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Allen Carr's book Stop Drinking Now helped me achieve that drastic change in perspective, perhaps it could help you too? Give it a read, the only thing you have to lose is a little cash and the time it takes to read it.
That's funny, I'm reading Annie Grace's This Naked Mind and it does the same thing, makes you realize zero benefits from alcohol...then logic kicks in.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post

That's funny, I'm reading Annie Grace's This Naked Mind and it does the same thing, makes you realize zero benefits from alcohol...then logic kicks in.
I've been wanting to check out her book. I'll add it to my list.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I believe it's worth it.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Do I miss drinking? Yes sometimes.
Do I resent having to be sober? No.

I figure I already used up my lifetime drinking credits. So to speak. It's really an attitude adjustment.

What I really don't miss is waking up day after day and feeling like crap.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm confused about it all because it doesn't make sense to me, and it bothers me when things don't make sense.
I think that we need to remember that drinking was a very big part of lives. In my case I thought about drinking morning noon and night. Takes a good amount of time sober so as to redirect our thinking and even our dreams.

Mountainman
Old 09-18-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
If you are coming up on a year and still have strong cravings, then you definitely need to look into making some changes in your life.
There is a lot of support in various places for waging war against the desire to drink. There is so much support, in fact, that secretchord was probably sincere in asking why "everything went wrong" because she still has that desire. It has the effect of making people believe that something is wrong with them, simply because they have desires or dreams.

This also causes former drinkers not to admit that they may have the desire from time to time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with desire per se, or with dreams, and there is therefore absolutely nothing wrong with me, for example, simply because my body has a residual desire for alcohol. I consider it simply a natural consequence of heavy drinking for so many years. Frankly, I would be surprised if I didn't have a residual desire for the stuff.

Those who advocate waging war against desire mean well, but consider that very few people ever suggest waging war against sexual desire in order to abstain from sexual behavior. That desire is simply accepted as a biological fact, not something to fear or something needing removal/exorcism. Why should things be any different with addictions?