Notices

I keep getting locked up

Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep getting locked up

Hey guys.

I'm an alcoholic/drunk/ had a drinking problem for awhile now. I'm about to turn 29 tomorrow. And I guess it's never too late. Even if you're 100. Anyways, my rap sheet is getting ridiculous. I just got another Disorderly Conduct and I'm scared about going back to jail. I've got 2 DUIs, and a bunch of other convictions like Obstruction of Justice, and 3 public intoxications. What sucks is I just caught my last charge on a relapse. I had like 14 days sober and I went on a 2 day binge that ended up.. I got into an argument with someone at a hair salon.. It's a stupid story and I'm still kind of flabbergasted it happened. Anyways, that was about 3 weeks ago. I've been on one other binge since then. But, I haven't drank in a couple days and I don't want to end up where I've been. Down in the depths of it you know. So, I've got like 2 days sober.. my birthday is tomorrow.. I want to quit alcohol for good. I get physical withdrawals as a gurantee nowadays if I go tear it up for a couple days. That was never really an issue in the past, that's fairly recent as in the past 2 years or so. Anyways, I wanna quit. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

. I had a sober birthday and it was the best day ever - hope yours will be too
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Zanna. I'll be working during the evening. I know the boys are going to wanna take me out to tear it up afterwards. And I'm going to want to go tear it up. I really want to get like 30 sober days under my belt. I haven't had 30 days in forever. Most I've made it since the last time I got sober is about 2 weeks. I'm at a really weird point in my life right now. Because I'm realizing my 20s don't last forever. I'm about to be in between housing situations.. And I was planning on moving to Oregon to straighten up. I live in enabler central right now.. But, now it looks like I might have to do some time in county and pay fines and crap beforehand. Blah. Anyways, what I enjoy doing. Outside of getting ****** up is, I love to read. I need to find a book that moves me. The last one I read that really moved me was Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence. I can usually stay sober if I feel like there's a higher pursuit that supersedes blowing 50 bucks, a pack of smokes, and an afternoon getting tore up. Anyways. I want to get sober. I just feel like a lost boy right now.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome naturesdopeflo
You'll find a lot of support here.

Getting sober, and staying that way is a bit like a leap of faith - you have to believe that you're not going to end up flat on your face.

It takes a few changes, but sobriety enabled me to rediscover a me I'd forgotten existed - a person who read books, had fun, helped other people out...but who didn't drink.

I really like looking in the mirror and not being ashamed by the face I see staring back.

I'm glad you found us and I hope you'll give it a try

D
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have pm'd you a legal website, as can't post it on here. Hopefully, it won't come to that though
Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It may be tough - sounds so- to untangle your life and legal issues. But you CAN do it- and it will be 1000000% easier sober. I have had my own things to handle and I promise you it is much more simple, regardless of the problem(s), to handle sober. One step at a time.

Running (ie to Oregon) will not help; alcohol, bad influences, etc etc will be found there too - it's what we alcoholics do superbly.

You have to make a choice. It WILL get worse if you keep drinking- I think you know that.

Now sounds like the perfect time for an AA meeting.

Good luck - do not drink TODAY. First step towards a better life - promise.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome naturesdopeflo!
This is a great place for information and support.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if you like reading,the book " alcoholics anonymous" would be a good choice.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naturesdopeflo View Post

I know the boys are going to wanna take me out to tear it up afterwards. And I'm going to want to go tear it up.
Getting sober is hard while entertaining those thoughts.
We needed to let go of some old ideas.
One of mine was that alcohol could once again work for me.

Seems every time I got locked up booze played a part.
Haven't seen a jail cell since I stopped drinking.

M-Bob
Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

i got sober at 29 also

i too had a dui in 1982 when i was 20

i have issues with anger ... employer mandated anger management classes

looks like we have some similarities

for me an important part of this thing is to listen/ look for the similarities and not the differences

aa meetings have been my solution

Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey naturesdopeflo. I have a similar story. First arrested for a DUI, then arrested for breaking probation, then arrested for drinking again, Luckily I only spent time in booking and let me out on a PR bond the next day each time, but I could tell the Judge was getting sick of seeing me back for killing myself with alcohol. Things can get better. Being in jails and hospitals for an entire summer was my bottom. I pray you have a safe, sober, and happy Birthday!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol brings out the worst in most of us. Glad you found us

There's lots of great resources posted all over the forum. I would definitely recommend Dee's thread about recovery plans. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I would also second tomsteve's idea of picking up the Big Book of AA, and think about trying out some meetings. Most of us can't do this alone, and you don't have to either.
Since you like reading, there is a ton of great literature out there. There is a sticky at the top of this forum or somewhere that has a list of recovery related literature.
Hang in there, stick close, make a plan, get as much support as you can.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

... had a drinking problem for awhile now... my rap sheet is getting ridiculous... I don't want to end up where I've been. Down in the depths of it you know... I want to quit alcohol for good.
You say you want to quit for good, and it does seem that you have some very good reasons for doing so.

I really want to get like 30 sober days under my belt. I haven't had 30 days in forever...
What happened to wanting to quit for good?

I can't make any decisions for you, but given what you've said about your prior and looming legal problems, I would wager that you may not be able to afford half-hearted attempts. You may be afraid, but raw fear does often prompt necessary changes in life.

Focus on the obvious. If drinking has already caused you major problems, and will probably cause more, ever worsening problems, wouldn't it be wise to discontinue drinking entirely?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Naturesdopeflow! You've come to the right place to get help sobering up. I have 90 alcohol free days today! I've never gone 90 days since I was much younger than you are now and I'm 42. It can be done my friend . A lot of the credit I owe to Soberrecovery and books! I love to read too. Your story reminds me a bit of Thomas Healy's book "I Have Heard You Calling in the Night" which is one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed Augusten Burroughs "Dry". Losing myself in a book has proved to be immensely helpful with keeping me entertained and not drinking. You might want to also read Hans Fallada "The Drinker". It is outstanding. All books recommended are about men who have serious issues with alcohol and getting into trouble (sound familiar?) Anyway stick around, lots of wisdom here. I can promise if you keep drinking things will get lots worse and if you stop they can get much better. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right. The withdrawals get worse as the addiction gets worse. You can break the cycle and stop drinking , if you are ready to put in the effort.

I LOVE reading too, and books have played an important role in my recovery. You might want to check out the book list we have on the Forum for some great suggestions. Sons and Lovers is one of my all time favourites:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Wanting to quit drinking is a good thing. Doing something more than will power is better. So the question is what is your plan, what changes are you going to make, what external resources are you going to use, what additional education do you need?

When we quit drinking the ball is in our court. The chances of us realizing long term sobriety is directly proportional to the work we put into our recovery. Unfortunately no work equals no result or at least no good results
Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Naturesdopeflo - It's so good to meet you.

I'm sorry for all you've been through - but here's where it can end. Every time alcohol was in my system it turned me into a reckless fool. The only way to stay safe was to stop all together. We know you can do it. Please stay with us.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I Just Keep Coming Back

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It may be tough - sounds so- to untangle your life and legal issues. But you CAN do it- and it will be 1000000% easier sober. I have had my own things to handle and I promise you it is much more simple, regardless of the problem(s), to handle sober. One step at a time.

Running (ie to Oregon) will not help; alcohol, bad influences, etc etc will be found there too - it's what we alcoholics do superbly.

You have to make a choice. It WILL get worse if you keep drinking- I think you know that.

Now sounds like the perfect time for an AA meeting.

Good luck - do not drink TODAY. First step towards a better life - promise.
I'm a testament of trying to outrun alcohol. I moved 250 miles away from my hometown thinking that my disease would get better. You know what I found out? There are liquor stores and 7-Eleven's here too.

I relapsed and was so afraid of withdrawal symptoms that I continued drinking three years before I decided to become sober again. I only have five days under my belt (this time), but I feel much better than I felt last week this time.

I too enjoy reading and I just picked up Being Sober. It was a recommendation from a lady I met in an AA meeting last night. I know it may sound cliche, but we must take it one step and one day at a time. It works.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Naturesdopeflo and Happy Birthday!!