Notices

Embarrassed to say...

Old 09-12-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrassed to say...

Embarrassed to say...that sobriety Is not going good for me. And embarrassed to always be checking in here with not more than a week of progress every time.

But my topic is about anxiety and withdrawals. In the month my drinking has been very out of sync. as opposed to my bottle of wine a night and binge on Fri and Sat It's been 1 week off- 3 day binge, 1 week off- 3 day binge, 4 days off - 8 day binge with the last day ending with 5 litres of beer after a bottle of cognac. To be honest the bottle of detergent started to look appealing once the booze ran out.

Atm iam on day 3 after all that and it's the 3rd night in the row iam getting anxiety panic attacks in the middle of the night. I wake up thinking about extreme Doom to my life, and with heavy breathing. Is this normal? In general i think I battle social anxiety subconsciously, because every time i used to come into work, or a public gsthering (iam not working anymore atm) I would battle small hyperventilation attacks without even noticing, and I would ramble quick sentences for 5 or 10 seconds, followed by a look of puzzlement from the person I was talking too.

Ive startrd to notice that hyperventilation has gotten stronger even though my social skills have gotten better. (Wtf, right?)

And yet now , even in my sober days, these hyperventilation attacks have become stronger. Iam thinking it's because of my sudden change of alcohol intake.

in my weeks of sobriety I seem to have insomnia.

I dunno, but anyway in general iam holding myself together but just harbouring all these problems and need some advice.

Iam thinking of applying for anti alcohol medication just so I can at least get to a good month of sobriety, because my attempts seem futile.

Thanks SR
Old 09-12-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A certain amount of anxiety is normal - even quit high levels - for a while - but if it's really debilitating, have you considered seeing someone (Dr counsellor) about it, madruski?

The thing is, as I'm sure you know, pouring alcohol on the problem is like pouring gasoline on a fire...

I ended up with not only the pre existing anxiety, but also anxiety bought on by my dependence on alcohol, and anxiety via my shame and guilt when I 'failed' at staying sober.

D
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am far from an expert on sobriety but casting my mind back to the beginning of 2015 when I did manage a length of time sober I can remember that in some ways the couple of weeks after stopping were a little rough as I was having things like anxiety but without the alcohol to 'hide behind'.

BUT a month or so down the road things had improved and I was finding that in my sobriety I was thinking clear enough to face the things I was getting anxious about.

In many ways it's a look at the big picture scenario. Yesterday, today, tomorrow may be difficult/worrying. But 12th October 2016 things will be easier to cope with.

That may sound a way in the future but 12 August wasn't that long ago - same period of time but just in the other direction.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Applying for some medication might be just what you need to stretch out your sobriety time.
If you can make it three days, hang in there and go for four, then five, then keep stringing those days together.
Have you considered AA or another support program to help? A lot of people have gotten sober that way.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

On day 3 it's easy to say sobriety isnt going well I was a bag of nerves full of fear etc when your sick & tired of being sick & tired youl get a lot more serious I'm not bashing but I done the exact same thing before I got sober so I relate but boy staying sober has changed my life & continues to do so give yourself a chance & stay sober to see how good it feels

If in doubt were always here
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
On day 3 it's easy to say sobriety isnt going well I was a bag of nerves full of fear etc when your sick & tired of being sick & tired youl get a lot more serious I'm not bashing but I done the exact same thing before I got sober so I relate but boy staying sober has changed my life & continues to do so give yourself a chance & stay sober to see how good it feels
If in doubt were always here
Well put it this way, I have gotten used to starting again over and over , like I said I have had more sober time this month combined then I have had all year. What iam saying is that I have learned to start being sober. But when it comes to controling the urge to binge after a week's worth of not drinking, that's the challenging part at the moment. Hence why I asking about medication.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah that's where I've been letting myself down. I'd do 5 days off then feel great and go on a bender. Sucks.
Now i've decided I just need to abstain. To me it's not worth it, I don't wanna lose my wife and kids, or die young.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Madruski, have you decided for sure that you want to get and STAY sober from here on out?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It takes a strong foundation to build a skyscraper and that's what your attempts at quitting represent, a foundation to a strong sobriety. Not too many of us here quit drinking successfully the first time out. It took me multiple relapses but with every relapse I learned a lesson that taught me what not to do on my next attempt. Don't get discouraged and keep building that foundation no matter how many times it takes to build that skyscraper. Sobriety, regardless how difficult it is to achieve is the ultimate reward.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the bottom line for everyone is we need to want to quit for good, and we all need to be prepared to 'do the hard yards' for a while....

Some medication may make it harder for you to drink, but without the continued desire to quit for good it's pretty easy to just stop the medication....

Staying sober is hard - it's not a one choice and done deal, as you'd know....it takes sustained effort.

Do you have much support outside of SR?
Have you thought about a recovery plan at all?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is a vicious cycle that I battle with myself as I do have horrible anxiety, depression, and social anxiety. It is very rough as being sober can be just as bad as being in withdraw, so the cycle just keeps going over and over.
Seeking therapy will help. I was able to keep my drinking down once I started getting treatment, I slipped on going for a while and my drinking got worse, now I'm back in treatment and still fighting to get my life back together.
Hang in there,
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
Well put it this way, I have gotten used to starting again over and over , like I said I have had more sober time this month combined then I have had all year. What iam saying is that I have learned to start being sober. But when it comes to controling the urge to binge after a week's worth of not drinking, that's the challenging part at the moment. Hence why I asking about medication.
With all due consideration, and based on the pattern you've described, it sounds more like days between binges than sober time.

If you haven't been getting direct support, then you've already demonstrated that you cannot due this alone. Binge drinking is not simply putting together a couple or few days during which you drink to excess, and is in no way better than daily drinking with smaller amounts. Instead, it's an extremely dangerous undertaking that takes a dramatic toll on us both physically and mentally, and that could end up killing you.

I hope you're willing to get the help you need.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nels

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A certain amount of anxiety is normal - even quit high levels - for a while - but if it's really debilitating, have you considered seeing someone (Dr counsellor) about it, madruski?

The thing is, as I'm sure you know, pouring alcohol on the problem is like pouring gasoline on a fire...

I ended up with not only the pre existing anxiety, but also anxiety bought on by my dependence on alcohol, and anxiety via my shame and guilt when I 'failed' at staying sober.

D
Perfectly said Dee, I am experiencing this right now, I too already had anxiety and alcohol has only made it worse. Now the main source of my anxiety is knowing that I must stop drinking and the fear that I can't.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
Madruski, have you decided for sure that you want to get and STAY sober from here on out?
Thank you for asking this question, cwood.

Even though I have experiences that tell me otherwise, I'm still thinking I can drink w/o a problem...

Thank all of you for being here!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
Atm iam on day 3 after all that and it's the 3rd night in the row iam getting anxiety panic attacks in the middle of the night. I wake up thinking about extreme Doom to my life, and with heavy breathing. Is this normal?
It is normal for alcoholics. Alcohol lowers anxiety for a few hours and then raises it for weeks. Persistent alcohol use makes it persistently worse. Been there, done that.

I wouldn't be so fast to proclaim sobriety isn't going well for you. From what you've written you haven't given it a try yet. I remember that taking a week off feels like being sober, but it isn't. The impact of alcohol lasts far longer than a few days or weeks. Take 90 days off and see if you don't feel what I mean.

I used to binge, break, binge, break, too. Then I got worse. I highly recommend stopping before it gets worse.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back Madruski,

Glad you are sober today, and you are here posting. Are you able to make an appointment with your doctor today to talk about the anxiety and the drinking? That would be a good first step. What supports do you currently have in place for recovery? There are so many different support systems available. Spend some time reading around here and deciding what will work for you.

Since you are not currently working use this time to devote to recovery. It is a great opportunity to get sober for good, and fully immerse yourself in the recovery process.

I have about 8 and a half months sober after a few years of flipping between short periods of sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. I also deal with anxiety, and although it has not gone away it has substantially lessened since I have been sober. You can do this!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have always been a big believer in "time heals all". I am now finding out that alcoholism I not an exception.

do whatever it takes to get it.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will share with you my experience as it relates a bit to yours. I experienced similar things while on a major (weeks long) bender. It was all caused by the alcohol...and it scared the crap out of me. So much so, I eventually quit altogether. That stuff doesn't happen to me anymore. I wish you luck as I think its getting pretty serious based on your description.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Catch 22

5 litres of beer AFTER a bottle of cognac! You sure?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
5 litres of beer AFTER a bottle of cognac! You sure?
Srry for the long post, I always try to keep it short but it never works our that way.

2 litres of beer - 250ml of cognac, (a snack after every shot, the food helped) then afterwards 3 litres of beer. In a 5 hour time frame. Tbh I think it's not much compared to what others can/could drink, but still it's a problem.

So iam on day 5 now, (again, getting to this point has actually become easier than usual) I find not counting or thinking about it actually works better.

Now. In regards to WANT . Ofcrourse I want. But sometimes the urge to obliterate myself is , well...almost hypnotic, not one beer that appeals to me, it's the whole keg. (even though all common sense and arrows point to it being a bad idea) - iam sure ppl know this feeling.

So yes my family has become worried this time, and actually this time they are listening to me that I need some help.. only problem is that they are all functioning alcoholics with no intentions to quit.

The examples of "functioning alcoholics" around me, is ofcourse no help at all especially after one week of not drinking.

And iam very aware and worried about my problem, and iam aware my foundation is not so strong.

I have alot to think about atm so iam just taking it one day at a time - again

Thanks again SR ,