Notices

This time for real - day 5 (new but not new)

Old 09-11-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This time for real - day 5 (new but not new)

Hi all,

I was here 2 years ago. Since then I've slipped off and on the sober bandwagon - clearly in denial that I have a problem.

I'm back and on day 5 sober!
I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a night - more on weekends and highly functioning as a mum and business owner. I hid it well. But not from myself or the people who saw me towards the end of the evening.

I am determined this time to stay sober - every day.

Tired of the cylcle and happy to be here.

ps today I feel worse than day 4 - soooo tired and foggy and nauseas. Any ideas?

xo
Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you have been doing for the last 5 days......
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SoftHeart - it's good to have you back with us.

You should begin to feel much better soon. Congratulations on your 5 days. I was exhausted & disoriented from all that I'd put myself through - so your feelings are normal. You'll get through this & you'll be free.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SoftHeart - sometimes withdrawal is like that - I hope you'll feel better soon.

What do you think you'll do differently this time?

D
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job. Stick with it. Lots of water, vitamins, fruits and vegetables helped me through detox.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think what I'll do differently is not think "oh it'll be ok if I just have a drink on one occasion". I need to learn how to reframe my entire life without alcohol. Easy for me at home but more difficult in social situations. Feeling determined though. The danger point for me lies at around 3-4 weeks when I think I've got it "under control".
Old 09-11-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Softheart I too had may "take two's" before finally putting the brakes on drinking. Maybe stay in touch with your Dr to keep an eye out for relapse and any possible withdrawals.

Way to go on day 5
Old 09-12-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Soft Heart, I know the feeling very well and your pain. I am in exactly the same position as you, had relapse last Friday night after 17 days clean, I thought ahh sure I will be fine with one or two!! I must be a clown to think would be ok after all the previous attempts and failure, where is the learning curve?? back on day 3 and feel just crap, was late for work too as head all over the place and body aching all over. I will persevere and feel this time is the one I will get freedom from that curse. Gotta keep trying. Good Luck Soft Heart, I find also with the good advice above a brink walk every day can help with sleep especially if you are desk bound like me in work. Bye for now and take care..

Last edited by carlingford; 09-12-2016 at 02:37 AM. Reason: hit rerurn by mistake before i finished my reply
Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back - it looks like there is quite a few of us returning this month - this is my Day 2.

We sound very alike in the quantities we were consuming but the only people that would know would be anyone who saw me after 7-8 of an evening (not that I would be aware they were there!). Though as regards the mum thing, the only reason my son wasn't taken in to care was because I hit the skids when he was mid-teens and could be self reliant and cover for me.

Even though this is only day 2 my 'fog' and tiredness has descended and I'm 'staggering' towards the end of the week when I have a week off so can catch up on housework and sleep.

Hang on in there and you'll feel better soon xx
Old 09-12-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SoftHeart, for an alcoholic, sobriety is like a light switch...either OFF or ON. Not a dimmer switch where you can turn it up or down however you want it. You have to make the decision.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On day 5 also.

I'm with you. Having brain fog, disorientation, confusion on and off and anxiety.

I'm sat outside a subway food outlet in the cold with a hot sweet tea watching normal people go by. It's helping!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I watched a film last night from Father Martin- Chalk Talk. You tube it if you get a chance, its a great movie that explains in very simple but thourough terms about alcoholism. Gives alot of good information. He speaks on how alcohol is an anethestic and numbs each and every part of our body, including our brains. No wonder we are in that fog all the time when drinking AND it takes awhile for our brains and bodies to 'wake up' yes?

I can certainly relate with what you are going through and can only say that at some point in time ( maybe in the 10-14 day period) that you come out of that brain fog you're in. Its like AHA, wow, I dont actually feel like Im in an out of body experience, I finally feel connected , like all parts are connecting. At that point I also started to really 'see' things I hadnt 'seen' before like noticing clouds, colors of the world started to be more brilliant, feelings started to come back ( both painful and joyful). I wasnt numbed out and I like this feeling. I want to keep this feeling.

Be patient with this process dear. Just keep being good to your body. Love it wholely and fully. Feed it good food and lots of fluids and sleep when you need to. Patience doesnt seem to be one of our strong points, we want instant fixes haha. It will pay off I promise.

Be blessed.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can get sober and stay that way.

Dee is always right- what is the plan? Now sounds like a great time to go to AA. It may not be your ultimate program, but starting there is a super idea.

Thoughts people have mentioned above - "how can I think I..." "I must be a clown to think..." etc- are normal - and none of us are idiots: we are alcoholics. It's our alcoholism telling us that we can drink like others, like "normal" people. We simply can't. This is what you have to come to accept to stay sober and live the impossible-to-believe-right-now life that is recovery. It's so good on this side.

Continued starting and stopping is bad on you in many ways, mind and body.
You don't have to keep having day ones.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back SoftHeart!!