Notices

will this anxiety and panic ever end?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy will this anxiety and panic ever end?

Hey there, i'm a 20yo female. Been drinking for 3 years now, two years heavy (12-20 shots every night). But I decided to quit. It's been one whole month of horrible nausea, agitation, panic, anxiety, sensitivity to sound, lights, panic attacks, sadness and it's still going on today. Joined here after seeing many people going through the same thing. My question is, will this feeling ever end without medication? I don't feel like myself, everything is so focused, i'm on the edge at all times and constantly trying to reassure myself that I won't die any second so I don't get another panic attack. It feels like a dream, like a really bad one. I lost my appetite, I barely eat and lost a lot of weight.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi anxious. Welcome to SR. Can you see a physician? He or she can address what's going on with you.

I still experience anxiety at 44 days. I think it takes awhile to decrease. However with no appetite, etc. A physician visit is definitely in order.

I really wish I had quit drinking at 20, good for you!!

Check back in and let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It certainly can get better the longer you stay sober. I had major anxiety and panick attacks when I quit as well. It takes some time though for some people, as it did for me. And I'm talking months. Don't let it discourage you. I felt much better after 3,6 and 9 months. It also went away during that period for about 3 weeks at a time and seemed to spike about every 30 days. The episodes after about 4-5 months became much easier to deal with and didn't last as long as the time before. It's not totally gone yet, but at almost 13 months it's nothing I can't live with so far.

I would talk to your dr about it though, as you could have some anxiety that wasn't brought on or made worse by drinking.

Wishing you the very best on your new journey and lots of patience tonight.

Keep going...... You can do this and lots of things get better with time.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Anxious
It's wonderful you've spotted your destructive habit so early on. Quitting is a winding road for many of us. Early days are hard. It's important to surround yourself with all the strength and support you can get.
I agree with going to see a doctor. A good doctor becomes part of your support team. You need someone you can be completely honest with.
Aside from not drinking, what else are you doing to take care of yourself?
I wish I could say just not drinking is the cure - but as you will see from reading a lot of threads here, it isn't. All of us have had a lot of work to do, and work we continue to do to both remain sober today and move on with our lives tomorrow.
It's a journey that goes one day at a time.
I suffered from anxiety/panic for many years before I began drinking. Drinking helped. Until it didn't. I was medicated for a long time for it with various things.
I now take a prescription from my doctor (I'm not going to list drugs as I don't want to advocate for any of them) and also go for cognitive behavioural therapy for my anxiety. With a lot of work, my panic attacks stopped. Now it's just controlling anxiety levels.
Your body and brain has endured a lot of changes from drinking. It takes a long time for things to reset and come back online.
I am not as eloquent and to the point as many other posters, so I will sum up:
1) What's the plan?
2) Where's your support?
3) What's your next step?
4)Take care of you!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first time I successfully got sober for a long period of time, it took about 3 months before I felt pretty darn good .. Years of poisoning our bodies need more than just a month to recover.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a question. Have you ever tried to stop drinking before?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you should see your dr. Personally, B vitamins, especially thiamine and niacin really helped with the anxiety and withdrawals.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest a thorough exam by your doctor to rule out physical causes. If it's not physical, then see a good psychiatrist or counselor.

I take medicine for bipolar and depression and now that I'm sober, the meds work as they should and my mood is much better.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went through what you are experiencing during May/June. The anxiety does ease up eventually. After 30 days I started to sleep better and then things really improved. Stick it out.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree -see a Doctor. A lot of that could be low sugar levels, with you not eating. A Doctor will soon check you over and have you feeling a lot better ☺
Old 09-10-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You very well could have unlying anxiety and depression issues (I battle with both myself) I agree with speaking with a therapist
Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Anxiousandsad!!