SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   So, the oddest thing just happened... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/397383-so-oddest-thing-just-happened.html)

kim5475 09-10-2016 10:09 AM

So, the oddest thing just happened...

It's Saturday morning here, a time that would normally be reserved for staying in my PJs and nursing a nasty hangover. This morning, however, I woke up early and headed to the local farmers market a few blocks from my house.

As I was walking around, shopping, doing a bit of people watching, etc I was suddenly hit with the realization that I was SOBER. Like, "Wow, I'm really doing this!" I didn't feel foggy headed or nauseated; I could look forward to the stuff I have planned later today rather than crawling back into bed. What was really surprising is how hard this realization hit me. So hard in fact, that I sat down on a bench and started crying (from relief, I suppose). Luckily, I was wearing sunglasses so I didn't look like the crazy lady crying on a park bench! :lmao

Have a great sober weekend, everyone!
:You_Rock_

Ooona 09-10-2016 10:19 AM

I so completely understand and I have been overwhelmed with emotion ( gratitude) as well. Today I too got up and headed right out to do our shopping. I noticed I was making eye contact and actually smiling at others. I genuinely felt something like care and love for others, even complete strangers. My heart is opening up, my mind is clear, I am today genuine and authentic.
I am beyond grateful today, Im so happy you are experiencing all the good feelings and benefits of recovery.

january161992 09-10-2016 10:22 AM

just the tip of the iceberg

LadyBlue0527 09-10-2016 10:26 AM

Kim, thank you for sharing what is a very powerful and defining moment. I remember the first moment I realized that this can be done and I can do it! I know you can't see this yet but there are even better days ahead than you can imagine.

Thanks for reminding me why I love sobriety and recovery so much. I needed this today.

:You_Rock_

Soberwolf 09-10-2016 10:28 AM

Congratulations

Linz805 09-10-2016 10:58 AM

I was driving today and the weather has finally cooled off and the sun is shining and I had the same thought! What a gorgeous day to be sober and out and not nursing a hangover inside :)

Anna 09-10-2016 11:14 AM

It sure can be overwhelming at times, can't it!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.

Delizadee 09-10-2016 11:37 AM

It's the good side of relief and respite. :) breaking the chains and finding freedom. Good for you and enjoy!

hpdw 09-10-2016 01:28 PM

I love when those Magical feelings come ,hard to describe , at one with all that is . Sometimes they last 3 seconds sometimes 30 seconds . Nice post Kim .

CajunPrincess 09-10-2016 01:51 PM

Thank you for this. So inspiring, encouraging, and beautiful. Absolutely love it.

ItWillBeWorthIt 09-10-2016 01:52 PM

It's a beautiful feeling being sober and working an excellent recovery program.

Good for you! Enjoy and keep stacking up the days! :-)

Maudcat 09-10-2016 01:59 PM

Hooray!

REsoberALITY 09-10-2016 02:12 PM

So awesome! And crying doesn't make you crazy anyway! It makes you human. Cry away when you need to..... It's healthy!

Zebra1275 09-10-2016 02:23 PM

. . . and it keeps getting better

MissPerfumado 09-10-2016 02:29 PM

I can so relate! It's such a powerful realisation, that you are taking positive action to build a happy, healthy life.

I found myself in tears yesterday morning, when my "early sobriety" song came onto the radio: Jimmy Cliff's version of "I Can See Clearly Now". It brought back all the feelings of desperation and angst mixed with hope and gratitude. I was on my way to a yoga class - something I'd never have done on a Saturday morning before. For the record, the skies were grey yesterday but for me the dark clouds have gone.

Have a great rest of the (sober) weekend, kim!

MidnightRider 09-10-2016 02:31 PM

Very nice!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Hevyn 09-10-2016 03:56 PM

So proud of you, Kim. I remember those feelings in the early days. It felt so good to be part of the world again & not anesthetized. :)

Dee74 09-10-2016 04:45 PM

Great stuff Kim! :)

D