Notices

Depressed

Old 09-09-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

I'm working on day 5 now and I'm not feeling great about myself or life. I know I'm being dillusional but I thought I would feel somewhat better by now.
I'm still sweating at night and during the day. I'm very dehydrated. I've been trying to drink tons of water but I was so busy at work today, I barely had time to even pee, much less anything else.

I'm still bloated. I'm sure it's partly because of dehydration and partly because of the pure damage I've done to my liver. I've been having muscle cramps all day...the kind you get when you're dehydrated.

I've been taking vitamins, including extra B. The exhaustion is just unreal. But I was exhausted before. My body was falling apart. I'm just praying that I will be back to some kind of normal really soon. This whole thing has me so depressed. And even though I'm not going to drink...the thought of never drinking again is still very depressing.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If like me it took years to get to this point in your life, is it not reasonable to suggest it's going to take more than 5 Days to dig yourself out?!!

It took longer than 5 Days for me, so hang in there, it will get better with more time!!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At five days, you're just out of physical withdrawal, you're bound to feel like crap. Give yourself more sober time. It gets better, be patient.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

IT's a difficult point to be at with five days. The good news is that it's likely going to get better fairly soon (within a matter of days) because the physical withdrawals will fade.

You need that water. Find a way to keep it close.

If the depression persists you can always seek help through a mental health provider.

Many of us focus on staying sober just for today. Let tomorrow talk care of itself, at least for now.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're doing great. Symptoms are totally normal. Last time when i quit, it took 9 days for the sweats and the nausea to stop. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Nausea...that's another one I forgot to add that I have. Irritability is through the roof. I am going on a road trip to have fun at a football game tomorrow. I have already told my company...no drinking for me. I am one that doesn't hide that I am not drinking. I guess because nobody really knew I had a major problem before, they don't think much if I tell them something like, "I am giving my liver a break right now."

Oh, and to discuss some TMI (sorry), what are normal bowel movements during this? When I had loose stools before, I always figured it was because of alcohol. But I have been having loose stools now for two days. It is the same I would get the day after a binge. It makes me think I have done some damage to organs.

I know it will take more than these few days to feel better. I feel I finally have my head wrapped around this and am truly committed to getting better. I am actually excited because I did not even yearn for a drink tonight. HOW COOL IS THAT? I do know, however, the day will come. Another trigger will happen. And I will have to put on my big girl panties and just keep my goal in mind.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about you powerflower but I drank and drugged for years...give yourself a little time for body and mind to recuperate.

It really will happen - don't lose heart

D
Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being a bit depressed is understandable. But by the sounds of it, alcohol is tearing your body apart from the inside out...which is what it does to every alcoholic. I've never told myself I can never drink again. Instead each day I make a choice. Its more manageable that way.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Powerflower View Post
And even though I'm not going to drink...the thought of never drinking again is still very depressing.
I used to feel this way, having failed to stop so many times I feel more depressed by thinking I will not be able to quit. I've learnt so much in my journey to this day 2, I am hoping this is the one .. good luck
Old 09-10-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I am at four months and I still do not feel better. Missed the so called pink cloud. Sure it is nice to never have a hangover but that is about it. Hard times and massive willpower needed.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5 days (and even five months) is still very early on. Get more sobriety time and don't give into the urge to drink. Drinking will do nothing for you, and will only take ( your health, your heart and soul, eventually your life). It takes time, but feelings of "I'll never drink again!" Will fade. I'm closing in on 2 years and the one thing I can't imagine and don't ever want is a life WITH alcohol. It gets better.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Another night now is closing and I have not drank. I actually just now got home from a fun trip today. Pretty drained, burned, and dehydrated from the sun and just trying to drink water. There is no way I could have done this fun day a week ago. I would have just died from doing all of this with a hangover. It's weird how my routine has been changed on both of my trigger nights. I shall call that divine intervention. Someone up there is looking out for me and knew the first week would be the hardest.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there, honey. I was still feeling pretty awful for at least a week. I still struggle with body aches and pains but they are mostly managed with anti inflammatories (I'll have five weeks tomorrow...). I definitely felt much better the second week. Still having some trouble sleeping regularly, but it is getting better too.

As far as the bathroom issues go, I also had some problems. I figure our bodies are trying to clean out all that poison and it takes a while to do that. Keep drinking the water and try not to stress yourself out too much.

Also, as others have said, it is too much for me to think about not ever drinking again at this point. I am just not going to drink today. I'll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes...