Notices

elizabeth vargos

Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

elizabeth vargos

Elizabeth Vargos the news anchor has a two hour special tonight on 20/20. Also her new book comes out this month. She had me when she said " I would die for my children but I will not stop drinking for them."
I cant wait to watch and read it gives me hope but more importantly helps me realize that this problem affects all types of people regardless of education, money, etc.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
Elizabeth Vargos the news anchor has a two hour special tonight on 20/20. Also her new book comes out this month. She had me when she said " I would die for my children but I will not stop drinking for them."
I cant wait to watch and read it gives me hope but more importantly helps me realize that this problem affects all types of people regardless of education, money, etc.
I preordered it on Amazon, it is available on the 13th.;-)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What does she mean? I will not stop drinking for them?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
She means alcohol has assumed the number one position in her life. It now is in full control.

I know that feeling and it is hell on earth
Old 09-09-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I believe she meant she would kill for her children, but she could not stop drinking for them. I know the feeling too.

I have pre-ordered the book too and am looking forward to her interview tonight.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That will be a good read.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She is sooooo telling my story! The only person who knew the extent of my drinking was my husband. I was really good at hiding. Now I am really facing all the stuff that had me drinking in the first place. I really hope her story goes viral and saves other alcoholics from the prolonged torture of alcoholism.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
I believe her exact words were "I could not stop for them." She wanted to stop, but she could not stop without help.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Another way I see it is, it would have been easier for her to give her life for her children rather than to quit drinking....,
Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first thought is that as alcoholics, we keep trying to find a way to make the alcohol fit into our lives along with family, children.

I don't have children but I was very close to losing my marriage. I desperately wanted to save my marriage but I desperately wanted to drink. For several years I maintained both. I was able to keep my marriage and drink, just as I imagine people are able to keep their children and drink, for a period of time.

And because we always see the chance to quit tomorrow, that period of time becomes interminable.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was a great interview. I was a lot worse than her though. I admire that she had the strength to share her story on national television.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you missed her interview.

ABC News Anchor Elizabeth Vargas on Her Long Battle with Alcohol and Her Road to Recovery - ABC News
Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I dvr-ed it before I went to bed !! Can't wait to watch it and am eagerly awaiting her book. Interesting that she did it with Diane Sawyer- I read that part of her spiral was losing out a big interview (I think Jessica Knox) to DS, according to EV.

It is always good for me to hear others' stories, especially the scary stuff, because I was probably way worse- and it simply reminds me that I will never go back. My capacity for empathy, as well as sympathy, is much greater sober, as well. And we don't have to suffer anymore - not like that- no matter how bad off we were.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thanks for the link Ooona!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I dvr-ed it before I went to bed !! Can't wait to watch it and am eagerly awaiting her book. Interesting that she did it with Diane Sawyer- I read that part of her spiral was losing out a big interview (I think Jessica Knox) to DS, according to EV.

It is always good for me to hear others' stories, especially the scary stuff, because I was probably way worse- and it simply reminds me that I will never go back. My capacity for empathy, as well as sympathy, is much greater sober, as well. And we don't have to suffer anymore - not like that- no matter how bad off we were.
Just watched it. I cried for her and the pain and suffering she went through, cried for myself too because I heard alot of me in her story.
She is so very brave to put herself out there this way. I too have led a double life, fearing the repurcussions of being honest and authentic in a world where there still is so much judgement and stigma attached to the illness we have.
She is inspiring me. Today I will share with someone the truth about me.
Hope you will enjoy her interview.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It was an excellent interview. It was like she was telling my story. As I watched I kept thinking how brave she was to come out publicly. There was a time when I sooner would have walked down the street in the nude than tell anyone that I had a drinking problem. Looking back, they all knew, everyone I know, but I was scared to death of people actually knowing from my lips.

I could so relate to her story. How she went to Malibu with her children with no intention of drinking and then found herself drunk. I can almost read her mind at that moment. Just one more night. Last time. Just one more night.

Also how she drank all the wine and then resorted to tequila because it was the only thing in the house. I found myself, many time, drinking whatever I could find in the house because my drink of choice had ran out.

When she talked about still being drunk at 8 am I knew exactly how she felt. That nasty horrible feeling in the morning. I always found that the dark of night provided a sense of security for me. Everyone was asleep right? People drink at night, right? Many times on vacation I'd find myself drinking at three, four in the morning and then the sun would come up and the safety net of the darkness was just gone. I would sleep in until 3 pm on these days.

Excellent interview.

Back to the topic of giving up (or not giving up) for your children made me think of Candy Finnegan's story (interventionist on Intervention). Her mother in law gave her 60 days to stop drinking or else she was going to take away her children. Candy drank for 59 days before giving up. This is what I would have done. You get to the point where you have to quit and you keep moving the goal post, pushing it back as far as you possibly can.

One thing I was confused about was how she said it's a faux pas to ask someone in recovery how long they've been sober. I am very open that it's been two years. If I were vague or said "I don't like giving a number" I feel like people would assume I drank last week. Everyone's different though.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I almost died for alcohol.. liver and kidney failure with alcoholic hepatitis.. I understand what she is saying.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for the link ooona, I don't know alcohol is ugly or I am the ugly one. What happened how I got here.i understand her struggle I understand the constant thrist why I don't know but I recognized I'm crazy it will never be enoug that is my problem my husband said haven't you drank enough. No I have not it will never be enought 🙁
Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No one knows the true effect of alcohol until you have turned completely yellow, can't swallow and keep down food, and lost 1/3 of your weight.. then your organs start shutting down. Then you understand alcohol. Just saying I have a hangover is only the beginning..
Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
No one knows the true effect of alcohol until you have turned completely yellow, can't swallow and keep down food, and lost 1/3 of your weight.. then your organs start shutting down. Then you understand alcohol. Just saying I have a hangover is only the beginning..
I feel that everybody has their own rock bottom and you don't have to experience those things to understand how alcohol can destroy lives. I've never had symptoms of jaundice or organ failure, but it became clear to me that those things would eventually happen had I not quit. My life was still catastrophic, as was the life of Elizabeth Vargas.