Notices

elizabeth vargos

Old 09-11-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It was interesting but she is very privileged with financial and family support also able to go into rehab at a drop of a hat, something I have been trying to get for more than a year here in the UK.
I now drink a 70cl of vodka everyday and yet still not even been offered a detox!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great interview. I felt a little irritated when Diane Sawyer asked her something along the lines of if she ever put her children in harm's way and Elizabeth thought for a moment and said no. She basically said she had never driven drunk with them, physically abused them and essentially was able to compartmentalize her alcoholism in terms of physical abuse to her children. After her well thought out answer, Diane asks her "are you sure?" For some reason that pissed me off. Elizabeth had already put herself out there and was as honest as she could possibly be and Diane says that. So in turn, Elizabeth felt forced to reiterate that she did indeed hurt her children emotionally and was pretty sure she could never forgive herself for that. Meanwhile, I know there is video out there where Diane Sawyer appeared to be drunk on air during election coverage a few years back. Made me think Diane is a bit hypocritical and It just reminded me that there is not a lot of empathy out there for people with this disease. It really gives you pause as to whether you will reveal your disease to others in that there is still that alcoholism stigma that will probably never go away completely.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

The previous link is to a 7 minute snippet of the 20/20 interview. If this works (sometimes it doesn't), here's a link to 20/20's home page; just put in your TV provider and click on the interview (the whole 40 minutes).....................:

20/20: 09/09/16: The Elizabeth Vargas Interview Watch Full Episode | 09/09/2016

(o:
Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

for those not in the US this is at least 36 mins of the programme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjYZ_ZNmk8
Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Melinda, I was confused too, I have never heard it stated that it's rude to ask a sober person for how many days they've been sober.
I figure maybe she didn't want to state exactly when she got sober, or have people keeping tabs on her sobriety day count? I figure with as much as she revealed she is allowed some things to be kept private.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Very good interview. I could relate to so much of this story.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I especially liked the fact that she brought this to the mainstream. If someone with the means and resources at their disposal to stop drinking can't easily do so, imagine how hard it is for those less privileged to get the help and support that they need to stop drinking. I also found it interesting that she didn't say how long she had been sober. Not sure why she didn't want to disclose that.

I especially related to what she said about the fact that she would die for her kids in a nanosecond, but could not stop drinking for them. That was pretty powerful to me. I've always struggled with disgust, guilt, shame toward myself for feeling just that way.