Notices

7 days in...

Old 09-09-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days in...

M, 43. Been a heavy daily drinker for as long as I care to remember, but high functioning even with the daily hangovers from hell.

Today marks 7 days since my last drink. Went cold turkey.

Days 1-3 were tough and sleep patterns are still a little sketchy, plus some mild heart arhythmia and the aches and pains of physical recovery...

I'm feeling so much better overall though. Waking up without a killer hangover is amazing, just so freeing and joyful. I've lost a couple of pounds and I look a lot better too, alongside feeling better. My mind is much more focused and sharp, the alcohol induced anxiety and random feelings of dread have gone away...much calmer in mind, which is also great. No bad drunken choices or waking up thinking "what did I say/post/do last night" etc

Tonight was a real test as we had people over for dinner...equals wine and booze flowing like water. I'd usually be way ahead of everyone else and absolutely mortal by this time of night, but I drank tomato juice, water then coffee. I managed to open wine for guests, even pour it for them, but despite a fleeting longing to indulge I was absolutely determined and did not. That is a huge milestone for me.

It is interesting to be the only sober one as the night goes on - drunk people repeat things a lot, huh? It was quite funny though and despite everything I had a good night. Even managed to drive some guests back to their home, that was a new experience for me.

I was very apprehensive about how I would cope with not drinking when others were. I must admit, I felt very awkward waiting for the first person to ask why I wasn't drinking. Sure enough the q eventually came up and I chose I be honest about it. Thankfully my friends were really supportive and understanding. I didn't make a big thing about it, kept it matter of fact, then the conversation moved on and we all had a good time, lots of laughs.

That's really encouraging. It goes to show that alcohol really isn't important to having fun or feeling good. Quite the contrary in fact.

Anyway sorry for the long ramble.

I've read this forum every single night since I quit and it has been a huge help, so thank you all.

I know 7 days is nowhere near out of the woods, but at least I'm on the right path and determined to keep walking forwards.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Betterandbetter, great to have you with us!!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

7 days is grrrrrrreat!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Better.

It is wonderful to be free of it. Your new life is off to a great start. Congrats on your 7 days.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job. Welcome, glad you're here.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & Congratulations x