Notices

Hard times

Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard times

The first time that I heard that things would get worse before they get better, I thought if I give up alcohol everything will get better. I've been having a hard time in early recovery, I am attending meetings and working the steps, but as I uncover the wreckage my drinking has caused over the last 13 years, it is hard to like the man I see in the mirror.

I guess the positive thing today was, I woke up and I didnt have to drink.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That means you're 'doing it'

Keep on doing it....it's what I'm gonna do
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is a whirlwind of good and bad. You're going to have highs and lows. I'm coming up on 8 months and you will hit balance if you stick with it, own your ****, and just give an honest effort. If I try my best, own my mistakes, and don't use, my life is manageable and not dependent on substances to face the world. You. Can. Do. This.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're going to do great. You'll start to like yourself. Just give it some sober time.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gr8ful22

Yeah it took me a while to clean up the mess I left behind...it was still better than my drinking life tho.

Have faith - keep doing the right things and everything will turn out ok.

why not join a ' Class of...' month thread for more support?

D
Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

my life got worse when i was new before it got better

keep posting and let us know how youre doing

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am glad you are here and posting.

Try making a list of long term goals and then a few goals that you can achieve daily: walk for 20 minutes, clean out the junk drawer, pay a bill... Slowly start ticking off those little accomplishments, and try to remain focused on one thing you did to make today better and begin working a little at a time toward. Long term goal.
My long term goal is to get out of debt. It is going to take a while, but I have taken steps and have a plan in place, and each day I get a Little bit closer.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gr8ful22 View Post
The first time that I heard that things would get worse before they get better, I thought if I give up alcohol everything will get better. I've been having a hard time in early recovery, I am attending meetings and working the steps, but as I uncover the wreckage my drinking has caused over the last 13 years, it is hard to like the man I see in the mirror.

I guess the positive thing today was, I woke up and I didnt have to drink.
i can really relate to this. i didnt like one dam thing about me when i was lookin at me.
thats where my sponsor stepped in. ill share what he said:
- quit kikin yourself in the ass. your not a bad man, just a sick man. a bad man wouldnt feel like crap lookin at what theyve done.pray on it.
- good- youre lookin at your past. youre workin on the causes and conditions. youre working to change you. youre not that man even today, so stop kikin yourself. pray on it.
- youre not a bad man gettin good. youre a sick man gettin well.quit kikin yourself in the ass.pray on it.
- tom, youre kikin yourself in the ass again. time to back up a few steps.pray on it
- tom, quit kikin yourself in the ass. thats what you used to be like. youre not that man even today and youre workin at getting further away from him.pray on it.

notice the 2 themes there?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i can really relate to this. i didnt like one dam thing about me when i was lookin at me. thats where my sponsor stepped in. ill share what he said: - quit kikin yourself in the ass. your not a bad man, just a sick man. a bad man wouldnt feel like crap lookin at what theyve done.pray on it. - good- youre lookin at your past. youre workin on the causes and conditions. youre working to change you. youre not that man even today, so stop kikin yourself. pray on it. - youre not a bad man gettin good. youre a sick man gettin well.quit kikin yourself in the ass.pray on it. - tom, youre kikin yourself in the ass again. time to back up a few steps.pray on it - tom, quit kikin yourself in the ass. thats what you used to be like. youre not that man even today and youre workin at getting further away from him.pray on it. notice the 2 themes there?
Love it tom, as always fantastic advice from you and pretty much what my sponsor has been saying to me, especially through step 4. The self awareness I have realised from doing this step is absolutely phenomenal and my sponsor set a 2 week timescale so that I didn't linger in remorse and regret.
I think it is important to look at our actions and behaviour whilst drinking and to truly own up to our part, humbly ask for forgiveness, make amends and then move on into a better and brighter future, leaving the past behind.
Early recovery is so very hard but way better than no recovery at all.
Blessings. Elle
Old 09-09-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

I am not a big fan about dwelling on the past. Look at it, accept it, learn from it and move on. Try and do something just a little thing positive everyday, set achievable positive goals and work towards them and achieve them. Over time, you will find that you will accept the past for what it is, the past. You will see how all of the things that happened in the past will have contributed to who you are and though you may not be proud of some of it, you would not change it as it is part of the path it took to become the person you are.