Blogs

Notices

What do you do instead?

Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Least reminded me ... how could I forget dogs?? I got two beagle dogs my first year. They have been invaluable to me in recovery. They were wonderful examples of living mindfully, living simply, and enjoying what's in the present. I needed to learn not to live in the past or the future. They helped in that way.

Plus, they love me.

Gardening was another one! And very slowly, I began reading fiction again.
Beagles are very cool dogs. I spend a lot more time playing with my super smart, hyperactive rottweiler. She is really benefiting from the extra attention. I really look forward to seeing her at the end of the day and she distracts me during what used to be my heaviest drinking times.

I also read a lot and am doing better about calling relatives (sober). I'm also going to start going to meetings. It's part of my recovery homework from my addiction therapist. I have 85 (I think) days today.
The Following User Says Thank You to HopeandFaith1 For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I kept a bag of habanero peppers in my car. If a craving was coming I could eat one and I would be close to incapacitated for 10 to 15 mins. All I could think about was "Man...these are really ******* hot" during that period. When my mouth stopped burning I was through the craving.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpioPhobe For This Useful Post:
Gottalife (09-11-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dang - habanero peppers!!! Yeah wow that will distract you for sure!!!!

There is so much to do - as you start to feel better, you will discover that getting drunk is actually quite boring - not sobriety. Books - a cool series on TV - hiking - dogs! - rearranging or redecorating the space you live in - planning a trip - getting "responsible adult" type tasks crossed off a list - etc.

These things will start to reveal themselves to you when your mind gets clearer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madgirl For This Useful Post:
CajunPrincess (09-09-2016), Julia8 (09-11-2016), OpioPhobe (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeandFaith1 View Post
Beagles are very cool dogs. I spend a lot more time playing with my super smart, hyperactive rottweiler. She is really benefiting from the extra attention. I really look forward to seeing her at the end of the day and she distracts me during what used to be my heaviest drinking times.
Yeah, they are. I love them! They are intelligent dogs, they're just stubborn because they're led by their noses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
january161992 (09-09-2016)