SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Early recovery and antidepressants (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/397230-early-recovery-antidepressants.html)

JoeyG1000 09-07-2016 02:10 PM

Early recovery and antidepressants

I'm 14 days sober. I also have a panic/anxiety issue. I used to take zoloft but stopped, not sure why but I did. It helped a lot. I can't see my physician for 10 more days so I was wondering, are antidepressants like zoloft recommended during recovery? I'd like to start them again but want some input on if they are recommended since my body is in a state of healing. I can refill the prescription right now, but as I remember the first week of taking them brought on a bit more anxiety. I take klonopin as well, not the greatest I know but I never abused it and I'm here to address my issues with alcohol. Thanks in advance.

Ruby2 09-07-2016 02:21 PM

Well, we're not doctors and can't give medical advice but I took my zoloft during early recovery. If it helped you a lot and you can renew your prescription, why not?

JoeyG1000 09-07-2016 02:26 PM

After posting this I decided I'm going to start it again, but really ease into it. My doctor told me before to start with a quarter pill for a few days, then half, then full. Gonna stretch those phases out a bit more and listen to my body. Was more looking to see if anyone had bad experiences with this.

Anna 09-07-2016 03:14 PM

Following drs orders is always the best idea.

I started an antidepressant just as I began recovery and, for me, it helped to level the playing field. I hope yours works well.

cwood3 09-07-2016 03:19 PM

I've been on Lexipro for a long time and my doctor said to keep on with the normal routine.

EndGameNYC 09-07-2016 05:10 PM

Not a good idea to stop or start anything without seeing your doctor.

You, your body and your brain chemistry are not the same as when you stopped on your own.

fred59 09-07-2016 05:21 PM

never done them - I probably should- but I never will- but probably should- but never will, anyways do what your doc recommends Joey congrats on 14 days

ozm8ey 09-07-2016 05:59 PM

EFEXOR-XR works great for me

Forward12 09-07-2016 10:07 PM

SSRI's take time to start working. If your doc prescribed them, then there was a reason for it. I would take them as your doc stated.

CajunPrincess 09-07-2016 11:07 PM

I've taken prozac since I was pretty young and still take it regularly to this day. probably would have been even more of a ***** in my first few days of sobriety if I hadn't have been on it.

JoeyG1000 09-07-2016 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input. Like I said I was just seeing if there were any horror stories or big concerns regarding this. As stayed above I'm going to start it again but really ease into it.

August252015 09-08-2016 05:24 AM

I am a believer in taking the meds you need when a vigilant, good dr is in charge. Being honest with your dr is key, and this includes whether you take the meds as prescribed. I have most definitely played around with them in the past.

I take two pysch-specific drugs, and I take Campral which is an anti-craving med. I take seroquel nightly for sleep. I took Antabuse for the first 90 days. At nearly 7 mos I am very content with my regimen.

My boyfriend, who hit 90 days today, has been on one anti-depressant then changed to another because of side effects.

Dr care. If meds help, go for it. As my psych says, they are tools in the toolbox. Why not have as many as possible to stay sober and mentally healthy?