Notices

New to this

Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

This is new to me. I'm 5 months sober and struggling with an overwhelming feeling of tearfulness over the past few days
Old 09-05-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jezzie - welcome

I can't say I felt that at 5 months but there were definitely times when I felt overwhelmed or even depressed.

Has this been going on a while?

D
Old 09-05-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jezzie!!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

5 months sober is great, wtg Jezzie!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Jezzie-

Welcome to SR - congrats on 5 months sober!

My emotions were all over the place for a while; can you expand a bit more about how you are feeling? There are a lot of great listeners here .
Old 09-05-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Jezzie. It helps to talk things over here. We all understand what you're going through.

Like Dharma, I was very emotional in the early months too. At first I felt resentful - like I was missing out on something. Then I began to love the feeling of freedom & improved health. It's hard to let go of something that's been part of our lives - even though we know it's harming us. You'll go through many phases as you heal. Happy you are here.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I noticed that I had about a week or so being very emotional, and a lot of the "mean reds" a la Audrey Hepburn, around 4mo; I had a very emotional delayed reaction after I did my 4th step, about 51/2 mos. Last week, I had a similar emotional week as I did around 4, and I am going on 7mo. Things like fatigue, and specific "events" like big family stuff, as well as good, growing emotional stuff, gets me towards overwhelmed.

How is your sleep, eating, what you do with any down time? I find that pausing - whether I just take myself out of the room for a few minutes, or whether I use my "send myself to bed early" technique, and sometimes just shutting off all my devices (cell, internet, whatever) and something like a happy movie, that kind of stuff helps me get through the minor tumult. I can't let it build, though- I talk to my (sober) bf, my sponsor, my mom, I go to meetings, I read the BB and pray.....

What kind of program are you doing? Are you in the March (April?) class on here? 5 months is great- it keeps getting better. Glad you're here!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jazzy, I think there are always ups and downs. The difference for me now, is that I know the downs won't last long.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jezzie! Congrats on five months. In my experience those months were no cakewalk. Are you tearful about anything in particular? Or is it just a flood of emotion for no particular reason?