Notices

Did you make it through the long weekend so far?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you make it through the long weekend so far?

Labor Day Weekend.

In the US it's all BBQs and get-togethers, beaches and backyards, pig-roasts and parties.

I've been by a couple. Seen lots of windows to them on social media. Booze the prolific complement.

Yesterday went to one where most of the adults were boozed up, some staggeringly, while the children all laughed and played in the water; oblivious to the adults' oblivion.

In days not so far gone, I'd have been well-liquored and partaking of the moonshine shots that were going around. Getting all boisterous and obnoxious, believing myself to be hilarious. Life of the party stuff.

I relaxed on a patio with my Lady and my Lad. We talked to one another and to another friend who was having one beer. We watched the children play. Enjoyed the cool breeze and the warm sun. Had some BBQ fare. Left early. Considered going to another BBQ on the way home we'd been invited to. Decided we were over it. Enough of that scene. We just wanted to head home, relax together, go to bed early.

It may not be a flashy, exciting, fast-paced, way-cool party life....

But it's a good life.

Happy Labor Day
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Happy Labor Day ,,

I was worried before the weekend started.
But it was easy to not drink.

It is getting easier to be a non-drinker.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A great opportunity to hone BBQ'ing skills. Getting ready to eat my cereal, but I'm gonna close my eyes and pretend it's juicy tender brisket!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was at a family BBQ at my MIL house yesterday. I was the only adult not drinking, and I waas good with that. The women were all sitting having a glass of champagne, which was my drink of choice, I felt really good that I was enjoying my green tea and drinking anything alcoholic didn't cross my mind. A few months ago I don't know think I could have sat at the table without being tempted. It sounds silly, but I am proud of that progress.

There was lots of great food and I definitely didn't stick to my normal diet, but a little splurge is okay every now and then.

Today I am looking forward to enjoying a day off at home.

Hope everyone here is enjoying the long weekend!

❤️ Delilah
Old 09-05-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On day 22 and this was my first so er holiday weekend in over a decade.

It has been great and pretty easy! While wayching football a frw cold beers would have been nice but what they might have led to would not have been.

Holiday Monday and I 0 giult. In May for Memorial Day I was drinking again by lunch.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have realized that most of my excitement associated with Holidays was my anticipation of a green light for my drinking. When the drinking went away I completely changed my whole view. I enjoy good food but dislike bad drunks so I will have a wonderful day with my wife and be thankful for this wonderful sober life
Old 09-05-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

today is my one month anniversary. I would never imagined that a month ago.

I have spent part of every day since Friday going to meetings. I am not quite ready yet to partake in those types of festivities. I have noticed AA doesn't shut down for holidays. that's good right now for me.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amen to that, MI.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I wasn't invited to any festivities this weekend, which was just fine by me. When I do venture out to parties and gatherings, I'm finding I enjoy myself just as much, or more, than when I was drinking. No more obsessing over getting "enough" to drink without making an a** of myself. A delicate balance I rarely achieved. I like being able to enjoy the food and company of others, sipping on a sparking water or iced tea, knowing I can drive home responsibly at a decent time, and have zero regrets the next day. I feel content socializing in this manner. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a thing. Even when I'm not invited to a party, I don't really care. I think people are still afraid to invite me, because they are afraid I'll be tempted to drink. That's ok. I'm not tempted but I don't want others to worry or be uncomfortable either.

Today I'm getting a few things done around the house and I'll go to a friend's house later to just hang out and talk and maybe watch a movie. It's all good!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You hit the nail on the head FO. I leave the life of the party stuff to the people who can handle it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Human

Not local for the long weekend this year, but I've been out on several occasions with friends here since putting the halt on drinking, and have never once been tempted. Annoyed, yes - as when you're not the drunk one, drunk people are much more aggravating

Was at a wedding the other night, everyone drinking excessively, and I just found myself really happy that I didn't have to wrestle out of the giant fancy dress I had on to go use the ladies' room every ten minutes....sorry, but I can't be the only sober person to not miss drinking bladder!

Glad to hear so far most have found the fun side of sober parties this weekend! Thus begins holiday season, at least one every month coming up, so this was good practice!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
A great opportunity to hone BBQ'ing skills. Getting ready to eat my cereal, but I'm gonna close my eyes and pretend it's juicy tender brisket!
Amen to that! It's allot easier smoking knowing your not gonna pass out and let the coals go out mid cook! Briskit is also on my next smoking list. Might try a new rub. Worked all weekend so chance to. Hope your cow came out good!