Notices

Librium is making me feel worse

Old 09-04-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Librium is making me feel worse

When I first posted many suggested I consult a doctor for drugs to detox safely (I was drinking 350 ml vodka a day, had tapered down from double that amount, but when I tried to cut back more I'd get terrible shakes that could only be stopped by having another swig, perhaps 1/2 - 1 oz numerous times a day.)

So because the only doctors that took my health insurance were over an hour drive away I elected to attempt to taper off on my own, so I added water to the bottle everyday and I think it took me about a week to taper down so I was drinking only water. And it seemed to work.

However I still felt very anxious, more than ever before (which I also attribute to be in bitten by a spider, likely a tartula as they're everywhere outside ) and the thing is probably still in the house.

I've been fighting a sinus headache a couple weeks (which I've had for years, even when not drinking.) and it got so painful, I went through the same thing a year ago and it was a sinus infection. So now I have to visit a doctor, I chose to go the extra distance and see my dr. 1 1/2 hours away.

I was honest to him about how I just tapered off drinking, was sober 4 days, but anxiety was worse than ever and I had zero appetite. My blood work came back good, no liver issues. His main concern was for many people the worst/dangerous of detox symptoms can happen starting 5 days after going sober, so he wanted to put me on Librium just in case. (Per day tapering down 4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1).

Came home, took one (figured id count each "day" as noon-noon. Half hour later I didn't really feel like eating but surprisingly polished off half a box of crackers. Then soon after that complete exhaustion kicked in. I stood up, felt very unsteady, staggered when I walked, in the hallway while walking I crossed one foot in front of the other and fell down. Made it to the bathroom as I went to sit down I felt dizzy and fell backwards hard onto the toilet (have bruises on my back and butt). I ended up sleeping in bed over 12 hours with a couple shaky trips to the bathroom. Apparently the warning this could make you drowsy really applied to me.

So I'm scared to death to take another dose. Wondering if it would be safe to only take it if I feel like I'm having some sort of alcohol withdrawal, because I just cannot handle feeling this weird all day long again (I never felt weird while drunk, I drank just enough at a time to feel relaxed.) right now I feel okay (besides bruised backside), no anxiety but husband's home today which eases anxiety I have when alone.

Anyone else have a similar rection on Librium and did you stick it out (do Side effects lessen) or did you just quit it?

P.S. Not looking for medical advice, just would like to hear others' similar experiences.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not been on Librium, but I know that meds effect each person differently. You need to call the doctor and discuss whether the ill effects came from the Librium or could be a complication of detoxing. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You will need to discuss this with your doctor. If you are having problems with your motor skills you may want to visit an emergency room or an urgent care facility.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, definitely call your dr and explain the symptoms. I hope that you feel better.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Call your dr or go to your local ER
Old 09-04-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Librium made me really tired. I napped a lot when I was on it. Never had a reaction like yours, though. Play it safe and call your doc.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely call your doctor. They can adjust your medication or dose. Honestly when I was in rehab I was given Librium the first couple of days and it was a godsend. Hope you get some relief.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had Librium so I have no experience to offer Katzen. I think the idea to call your Dr is a good one

D
Old 09-04-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Librium bowled me over too. I didn't like the effects it had so I took it only when I felt I needed it. Call your dr if you're worried. For me the librium hit me hard but I couldn't get to day one without it. Because it made me so sleepy I took it just at night once I got past the first day or two. But yes my experience was very similar to yours. It made me feel drunk and couldn't walk properly and I could sleep 12 plus hours.
It does away. I feel perfectly fine now that I'm off them and I have no residual withdrawals from either the alcohol or the librium. Absolutely no harm in calling your dr. Don't stop taking them suddenly because of seizure risk. That was my experience sorry to offer med advice but I'd treat going off the librium full stop the same as going off alcohol cold turkey. Not worth the risk.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will absolutely be calling my regular doctor when he's next in his office, which I believe is Tuesday. I'm hesitant to try calling another dr. Think they're all clsosedtoday, only ER is open today and that's 2 hours away... I don't believe this is a life or death medical emergency in which case they'd likely check me out that I'm not dying, send me on my way and say contact your regular dr.

I think my main side effect is extreme sleepiness, felt more sleepy than I ever did before in my life. I haven't taken any Librium since, I do feel better today, weak all over (probably from sleeping 12 hours straight) but still drowsy, am about to take a nap now in the middle of the day.

The side effects did say drowsiness, but nothing about very extreme drowsiness to the point I felt like I might have been half sleepwalking, which is why I wondered if others experienced this.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't taken librium, but I am on another benzo for my anxiety. That is a side effect with the stronger doses is to feel extremely worn down and sleeping for hours and hours on end.
Granted your docs are likely closed tomorrow for the holiday, but you might want to look into your insurance company. Most have a 24/7 nurse hotline you can call.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Librium knocked me out. I couldn't do anything besides lay in bed and sleep on and off and get up to use the bathroom and have some water or a very small snack.

Falling in the bathroom is scary though. Can you have someone assist you with trips to the bathroom until you can talk to your doctor?

Best wishes to you.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I haven't taken librium, but I am on another benzo for my anxiety. That is a side effect with the stronger doses is to feel extremely worn down and sleeping for hours and hours on end.
Granted your docs are likely closed tomorrow for the holiday, but you might want to look into your insurance company. Most have a 24/7 nurse hotline you can call.
We do have 2/7'nurse hotlines, but they never seem to be very helpful. Have a cold, they recommend various OTC drugs, but anything that requires a prescription they want you to go see your gp or go to the urgent care (nearest one, 2 hours, closed by the time we'd get there), or ER, (one that takes my insurance, 2 hours away... Besides I know at the ER if it isn't a life or death emergency I may get something to help my symptoms, but they never do prescription changes.)

This seems to be something I can stick it out, I feel pretty darn good tonight since i last took the Librium over 24 hours ago and have slept a good 18 hours since then. Seem a wee bit groggy still, but seem to be walking okay now.

But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that had trouble walking and sleeping way more than usual... I feel like I'm not alone in this and since you all survived it so can I.

Thanks for you replies and sharing your experiences.