Notices

The gateway drug

Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REsoberALITY View Post
Very good post FreeOwl. Thank you.

Also, I agree with you as far as addicts go. What I do ponder is....... This is not to say "everyone" is affected like addicts are by these things that create that rush of dopamine? (Serious question) for most people... They don't need to keep feeling this rush only to find out later that they have no control over it and feel the need to feed it? (Also a real question)
Or do you suppose these things early on in life "create the addict?" Or must you have the "addictive traits" for these things to affect you?

Addicts born or created? Would love to hear your thoughts. And realize there is probably science to prove a little of both.

Always love your posts!
I don't know.

For me, personally, what feels true is that addiction is a part of my being. Whether it is alcohol, adrenaline, or exercise..... I tendon't always toward 'all in, or don't do it'.

I'm not sure if I was born that way, nurtured that way, responded to life that way.... or all of the above. I suspect probably all of the above.

I guess what's more important for me than ever knowing the answer to that, is simply knowing it, and learning how to direct that part of my nature in healthy and positive ways.

But also what's important- as a father - is knowing that these traits are also present in my children.... and seeking to guide them in healthy ways, so that with a little luck and a lot of love - they may be spared the beating and the misery that addiction can bring in this modern world.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Anything that I do that eventfully leads me back to my drug of choice may be called 'the gateway drug'.

Lets say a man has trouble with his committing adultery.
He's got some clean time, he's been a good boy.
He goes to the strip club just to look and not touch.
He ends up having another affair.
The strip club was 'the gateway drug'.

A crazy example but you get the picture.

MB