Notices

Depressed: Wanted to Talk

Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My grandfather was a smoker, and he lived in a time when they thought smoking might even be good for you. As soon as a doc told him it would kill him, he quit cold turkey that day. He had smoked for probably 35 years and said it was the most excruciating thing he ever did. He said whenever he'd smell the smoke from someone's cigarette, he'd still get a tinge of a craving even after having quit for years but he never touched one again. He lived until 97 years old (practically a decade older than you), and I think about him often when struggling through hard times. I'm so lucky he lived long enough for me to get to know him. You have the same discipline that he did. I'm glad people like you exist, you make the rest of us stronger and better

"Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life." -Steve Jobs
Old 09-03-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dearest Bill - you're very much loved here and can count us among your friends. I'm glad you reached out with your heartfelt post. The last sentence of it would make an excellent prayer - I think I'll pray for that tonight. Thank you, Bill.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Bill, I'm fairly new here. Sounds like you have earned a deep admiration and respect from lots of "friends" here. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading your posts!! You are witty, funny and wise. I come here to learn from you and others like you. I hope you and your wife experience a happy shift in your spirits soon.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Dame: You suggest: "Would you consider "Memoir Writing"? Oh yes! Done that! Maybe 45 pages worth. Some of it interesting. Some boring (Dog shows! Too many dog shows!) Some of it interesting (Shore Patrol in Old Panama City just after WWII. Kids from the South Atlantic getting hit on the head with baseball bats. Wrestling down one junkie in the mud on a hot summer day. Spotless whites changed to khaki mud in a few minutes). Hon. Discharge followed by culture shock on returning home. These days it's worse culture shock just living in the U.S., particularly at election time. Safer to stay in the bedroom with the dog and watch classic movies from the 1930's. Shirley Temple sickens me though. Also Freddie Bartholomew. What made W.C. Fields drink so much? Was it "Baby Leroy"? Was he right to give the toddler a good stiff kick? Charlie Chaplin eating his shoes, swallowing the shoelaces as spaghetti ("The Gold Rush"). More spaghetti in a food fight with Mussolini in "The Great Dictator". Mustn't leave the bedroom or the dog until the election's over. Then, depending on the outcome, leave for Tasmania. One way. Business Class. Then file for bankruptcy. Do they still show Irish Setters in Wagawaga, north of Melbourne? (WooferWoofers in Wagawaga!)

W.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'll wait in the chat room for the next 20 minutes or so if you want to talk?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

WOULD READ.

And, never underestimate the Millennial Generation's LOVE for all things "historical" ('cause they just love the Anthropological URGE). You could go online with your well-earned Life and possibly even open the eyes of a Generation ( and make a little "bank."
Anyway, I would request and read you life story in a heart-beat. You and your wife are WITNESSES to History. We seriously Need you. Seriously, My Dear
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bill you sound like one hell of a man. Thank you for your prayer in your last sentence! And I will keep you in mine sir!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to make Billie get off my lap to type this. She's such a lap dog.

Sending you hugs and friendship. I'm glad you trust and like us enough to share your feelings.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Bill! Please don't spend time on regrets, and enjoy your time with your wife. Sending love your way from the Midwest!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Bill. If you leave for Tasmania on a one way ticket you will have to show a certain amount of money in the bank to be able to finance your stay along with the necessary health insurance (because of your age(s)). Filing for bankruptcy after you leave the country could create unwanted prosecution depending on creditors which could affect your health insurance and subsequently your visa.
Cash is king, but very hard to travel with anything over $10K thus rendering it illiquid (for a reason).
I like your idea of travelling off into the sunset, but depending on your health and your wifes, please reconsider the bankruptcy plan as I fear it would bring unwanted stress into your lives..
Old 09-03-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joe's pretty much on the ball with his travel advice Bill.

I hope, whatever side you come down on, you won't have to leave the country after the election

D
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best man, 28 years is an inspiration!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think Bill was making a wee bit of a joke about the election, not actually planning to flee to Tasmania.

Wishing you well, Bill. I hope your funk is short lives; I think there's still more to your story yet to be written.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Dearest Bill ~ I am so sorry that I didn't see this thread until now.

You are a beautiful man, and a wonderful friend. I am so very grateful that our paths crossed and we can be there for each other.

Some truly amazing friendships are forged on this journey....I am alone in the world now, just me, but I do not feel that way.
And you are a huge part of that. Your love and friendship have been a beacon for me. That is so precious.

I hope the days ahead bring you good things.

S ♥
Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Im happy to share your company any time Bill ,I know i'd learn so much .
love and peace .
Old 09-04-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Catch 22

You help many here. You help me. 28 years sober is an astonishing achievemeng. So is living to such an advanced age. You have seen it all, you are still here. All the best.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Heavens! My purported plan to emigrate to Tasmania on a one way ticket and to declare bankruptcy was not meant to be taken seriously! Just a feeble attempt at humor by a pixilated old geezer (see the Jimmy Stewart movie "Mr. Deeds" for the definition of "pixilated"!)

Hope this restores my credit rating!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Heavens! My purported plan to emigrate to Tasmania on a one way ticket and to declare bankruptcy was not meant to be taken seriously! Just a feeble attempt at humor by a pixilated old geezer (see the Jimmy Stewart movie "Mr. Deeds" for the definition of "pixilated"!)

Hope this restores my credit rating!
I don't think you should go to Tasmania anyway Bill. They have devils there and they love to stir up trouble with immigrants!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
I think Bill was making a wee bit of a joke about the election, not actually planning to flee to Tasmania.

Wishing you well, Bill. I hope your funk is short lives; I think there's still more to your story yet to be written.
You are so right! The Tasmania reference was a sly dig at a possible outcome of our coming presidential election (nuclear annihilation a la Dr. Strangelove). The bankruptcy reference a dig at anyone stiffing his creditors.

Hope my credit rating has survived any possible misunderstanding. I am releasing the contents of all my Emails at noon today. Have a real boring time of it!

Bill.