Notices

Bitterness

Old 09-03-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bitterness

I'm currently staying with family for now, I outlined my situation in a post called "my latest mess" yesterday. I'm ten days sober right now.

What's on my mind right now is I see my friends post on fb pictures of themselves at bars. These are close friends, not drinking buddies, who are supportive of me but aren't alcoholics. I also think of my estranged sister, who is an alcoholic, probably enjoying the fact that I'm down and out because of my drinking. It makes me bitter. I resent that they can drink and not destroy their lives. I resent my sister who only gets by because her husband is well off and enables her. I don't know why I feel this; it's not their fault they aren't alcoholics and I shouldn't care what my sister thinks. But it makes me feel resentful and sad.

Can anyone relate? I'm ten days sober and am working to keep it up. Figured it'd be better to share my feelings here then let it get the best of me.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sure I can relate - as many of us can.
I think it's natural in early sobriety to look at the world we are 'missing'.
I think it helps to take some perspective. You are looking at the pictures through your own newly sober lens. They haven't thought twice about their photos, the location, or the props. They trigger you. You wish you could be like them. You envy them. Any chance you are isolating yourself as well? It seems to be a natural for most of the people I meet in early recovery. We all sort of feel the need to remove ourselves from everything to the point of staring at the walls. While I don't suggest you connect and go out with people who are drinking, I do suggest you come up with distractions as well as locating support near you (whatever support you think will help, AA, counselling, etc).
At 18 months I tend not to interpret others pictures, and I no longer feel they were intended to make me envious.
I also remember that things like Facebook and Instagram are false narratives of just the 'best part' of people's lives. No one posts things that aren't somehow fabulous and best versions of themselves. Try telling yourself that ten minutes after the photo was taken, they had an awkward silence and no one knew what to talk about next!
Early recovery is a wicked mind game for many of us. I still have to straighten my thinking out. Almost every day. My brain sends lies to me all the time. Rather than react, as I used to, I take the minutes I need to process, judge, and then either react or not. Sobriety is the only thing that has gotten me to this point.
10 days is fantastic, keep going, and stop looking at the awesome fake lives of others. I promise you their lives are not roses and sunshine all the time. They just don't post the crap parts.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on double digits

Why look at pics of people in bars

Try to remain focused on your recovery here with us
Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
But it makes me feel resentful and sad.

Can anyone relate?
I can relate to the fact that resentments are recovery killers. If you could have drank without the consequences of drinking, you would have. You can't. Mourn and move on.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Life isn't fair. Thank goodness I have alcoholism and not something else that isn't treatable.

I wrote an angry "I hate you, alcohol!" letter once and burned it. I am free of my resentment towards myself now. I have alcoholism and I treat it daily and I stay stopped. I had enough.

Give time time. Maybe you'll feel differently about it.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sobriety.

I felt very sorry for myself when I stopped drinking, but when you see the improvements in your life, it's easy to let that go. Try to keep the focus on your recovery and you will be fine.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fb makes me feel that way some times. It's hard to see people out and to know that I can't do that. It is important to remember that people only post their best on Fb. No one posts the boring or terrible parts of their life. All of those people probably have their own challenges, but they aren't showing them.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Life was never meant to be fair and the people living it are not meant to have whatever they want. It is a harsh lesson to learn but we all have to realize it so we can teach the same lesson to our kids.

Resentments against non alcoholic drinkers are common and I bet most us have cursed out a friend or two under our breath while they guzzle our favorite ale in front of us. But you aren't meant to live with resentments and allow them to interfere with your life in recovery. It will leave you bitter. And that resentment left unresolved could cost you your sobriety. Do you really want to start over at day 1 again because your buddy can drink and you can't? Your buddy is not an alcoholic. But you are. And you know you can't pick up without risking everything.

You need help with these resentments. I hope you can find some.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do need help with these resentments. I normally would bottle it in and that wouldn't end well. Expressing my feelings on here is what I chose to do instead of keeping it in. I also discussed it at AA today. I do not want to go back to day 1. I think by discussing my feelings and reading other people's responses is very helpful. I'm going to get a sponsor very soon and bought the big book.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is an article on this site about depression and too much facebook. I find online shopping a better outlet for me even if I don't buy anything!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post

Why look at pics of people in bars

im glad youre here Joey

Old 09-03-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It may help if you get a copy of Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Control Alcohol". While it is not, in my opinion, a step-by-step set of directions on how to quit drinking; it does a pretty good job of convincing you that you are not loosing anything by quitting drinking; rather, you are gaining freedom. The book is available on Kindle, it is an easy read, and really helps one get over the feelings of deprivation. Worth a try at any rate!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
I'm currently staying with family for now, I outlined my situation in a post called "my latest mess" yesterday. I'm ten days sober right now.

What's on my mind right now is I see my friends post on fb pictures of themselves at bars. These are close friends, not drinking buddies, who are supportive of me but aren't alcoholics. I also think of my estranged sister, who is an alcoholic, probably enjoying the fact that I'm down and out because of my drinking. It makes me bitter. I resent that they can drink and not destroy their lives. I resent my sister who only gets by because her husband is well off and enables her. I don't know why I feel this; it's not their fault they aren't alcoholics and I shouldn't care what my sister thinks. But it makes me feel resentful and sad.

Can anyone relate? I'm ten days sober and am working to keep it up. Figured it'd be better to share my feelings here then let it get the best of me.
Hi,

This pisses my girlfriend off when I tell her this, so possible you won't like it...

Think about this for a second:

"Between the stimulus and the reaction there is......a space. In that space lies.....the freedom to choose" Vikor Frankl

In reality, nobody can make you feel anything. It's your reaction to the outside events that are making you feel that way.

This should be good news as it means you are in control. For some people this takes a big paradigm shift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRYCc7ApHc

Stephen Covey's first habit from the 7 habits of highly effective people is:
BE PROACTIVE

The majority are people are reactive and therefor are easily irritated, easily manipulated and quick to stress and anger.

You always have a choice. Try to choose a different reaction.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey
I think a lot of us experienced that resentment., I think it's largel;y fear based tho - the only way I knew to live was a drinkier - I didn;t want to change - but I had to.

Once I accepted that I really started moving forward.

In a few months I loved my sober life and my sober self so much I wasn't resentful of anyone anymore.

Do you have a plan to help you stay sober this time?

D
Old 09-03-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days. Yeah, I suppose I feel resentment when I see people socializing over cocktails. I used to be like that. Alas, no more. Is what it is. Anyway, great job. Keep on truckin.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nalanda View Post
Hi,

This pisses my girlfriend off when I tell her this, so possible you won't like it...

Think about this for a second:

"Between the stimulus and the reaction there is......a space. In that space lies.....the freedom to choose" Vikor Frankl

In reality, nobody can make you feel anything. It's your reaction to the outside events that are making you feel that way.

This should be good news as it means you are in control. For some people this takes a big paradigm shift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRYCc7ApHc

Stephen Covey's first habit from the 7 habits of highly effective people is:
BE PROACTIVE

The majority are people are reactive and therefor are easily irritated, easily manipulated and quick to stress and anger.

You always have a choice. Try to choose a different reaction.
I hear you, it's obviously me, so far I'm hearing exactly what I need to. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It helped me to let go of my resentment when I looked at alcoholism as an affliction I had that meant I could not drink. It then became something I had to deal with. As someone else said here, thank goodness it is treatable.

But more recently I have looked upon it as a kind of blessing. I now know that alcohol is a poison to my system and I have freed my body of that poison. After several months of being alcohol-free, I am far fitter and stronger than I was before. I run races with people with whom I used to run and they are amazed at how much faster I am now... she's on drugs, my brother-in-law jokes, as I outrun him. The joke is that it is just the opposite: I am free of the drug.

It's not just health and fitness. I am more productive and happier in my job. Get in earlier, in a better mood, and able to work more efficiently.

I see those people on FB, drinking and enjoying themselves. That's their choice but I wish that society did not condone alcohol as much as we do. There is a place beyond alcohol where life is SO MUCH better.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

Try to chose a mindset of abundance over a mindset of scarcity. MissPerfumado is dead right here. You *get* to be sober, it truly is a blessing!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Irnldy001 View Post
I also remember that things like Facebook and Instagram are false narratives of just the 'best part' of people's lives. No one posts things that aren't somehow fabulous and best versions of themselves. Try telling yourself that ten minutes after the photo was taken, they had an awkward silence and no one knew what to talk about next!
So. Much. THIS. And I would do well to remember that, myself.

I'm certainly a little irritated this weekend, myself, seeing all my friends checking in at the bars last night and tonight. Posting pics of them smiling with that cocktail in their hand. Especially since this is my first weekend of sobriety since I committed to quitting for good. I almost set a "quit date" for myself starting next Monday, too. But I knew I couldn't. I knew I would totally BLOW OUT this weekend if I knew it was my last hurrah.

What they WON'T be posting about is how they feel tomorrow afternoon when they finally wake up. The fun tonight and this weekend will be short-lived and largely pointless. Meanwhile, I'm having an incredible weekend being productive, spending tons of quality time with my fiancee and the dogs, and able to be present, alert, and enjoying every minute of it.

Definitely worth it.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Try to chose a mindset of abundance over a mindset of scarcity. MissPerfumado is dead right here. You *get* to be sober, it truly is a blessing!
And I don't know if you are channeling "The Secret" right here, but that's what this made me think of. I need to be better about applying that state of mind to myself, too.

Lots for me to think about...