Notices

Recovery and a break from the norm

Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery and a break from the norm

I suppose I'm probably the last person who should be offering up their thoughts on quitting, given that it's taken me 10 years or so to reach this point. I've been a heavy drinker since my teens, and I'm 42 this year. I've held down a family and built up a business, but only for the grace of God and no small measure of understanding and suffering on the part of my loved ones.

My drinking has got me into some very dangerous and embarrassing situations, and increasingly so with each passing year. I've tried to quit many times, inevitably after a drink induced fall (metaphorically and literally), but I've never made it past about four weeks. Something has been missing from my plan.

Like many I have a very hectic life with work and family, and it's a struggle to get enough rest let alone find the time to properly reflect and introspect. One such opportunity comes around once a year when we visit family abroad. The kids are taken care of by relatives and I'm cut off from work and day to day life for a week. Last year something surprising happened during this break; I quit smoking after 20 years. Just stopped without having planned it, albeit I'd wanted to quit for as long as I could remember. It just happened and I haven't smoked since, more than a year later.

And this year, during the same break, I stopped drinking. Again I hadn't planned to, I did my usual thing of guzzling as many as possible in the departure lounge and on the plane and my relative had a cold beer waiting for me in the car on arrival, they know me too well.

That beer was the last alcohol I drank, and it will be 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I remembered that I'd quit smoking last year, and this time I spent the break 'thinking' myself sober away from the stresses and distractions of day to day life. I'm beginning to believe that this break from the norm has proved pivotal in breaking two addictions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being complacent and I'm very aware of my AV, but this time I can see my future without alcohol and that has always been a stumbling block before.

So the point of my post is to suggest that maybe a break away from it all is a good way to start your recovery, or it's worth trying if you've tried and failed before. I think it's vital to prepare your mind as well as your body for recovery, and this can be understandbly neglected when we have so many other things competing for our attention.

I realise I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to just switch off for a week at a time, and this isn't possible for everyone, but if you can along with a change of scenery, even if it's just for a day or so, then maybe it's worth a try as part of your recovery plan if you're having difficulty quitting.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

6 Weeks is fantastic 5upersonic!! :
Old 09-02-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations 6 weeks is really something keep it going
Old 09-02-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 6 weeks 5upersonic

D
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 6 weeks 5upersonic

I agree about a change from the norm. I guess what you experienced was the same thing others get from inpatient rehab, a break from the routines and surroundings that reinforce our desire to drink
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I guess what you experienced was the same thing others get from inpatient rehab
I think you're right. It's about breaking the cycle. I guess it's vitally important to change the norm when you go back to it, otherwise the underlying causes will still be there. This is where the plan comes in. Changing routines, choices, and maybe even friends.

I should emphasise that getting away from it helped me get my recovery started from a strong foundation, but I know that it was just the beginning and there will be so much more needed to see it through.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Congratulations, 5upersonic,

I didn't know when I was going to stop, or if I was ever going to stop at all, until I stopped. And I didn't know what I needed to do to get sober until I did it.